Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SIMPLE Exhaust system change 4 sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 11:47 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SIMPLE Exhaust system change 4 sound

As I've done my research on here and three other sites pertaining to exhaust upgrades, I haven't found a simple thread on the 1st steps in upgrading the exhaust system for a SC400.

I am not planning on replacing my headers, turbo Or superchargering my car.. running with big cars( 700hp vipers / supras), I just wanted to increase the sound of my stock V8.

It doesn't look like muffler change will really do the trick. I've noticed if i got the resonators cut and straight piping installed, it would be more than enough. Later replacing or upgrading the cats.

Keeping the Goal in mind,
I know power improvements are kind of a joke on this car(unless supercharging it). I'm just wanting a quick, small fix to increase the sound of my exhaust...

Can anyone point me at a simple guide or let me know if i'm off track on getting my resonators cut.. (and keeping my stock exhaust)

Thanks,
MemphisDave
Old 02-21-07, 11:53 AM
Matt L
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the Magnaflow stainless mufflers on my 1996 SC400, and it sounds downright mean. Plus I surprise many a sports car at the stoplight since it has a true 260 hp rating (probably more with the Magnaflows and intake).
Matt
Old 02-21-07, 05:38 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt L, do you have any pics of your exhaust setup?
Old 02-21-07, 07:32 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default incremental upgrades

Memphis Dave,

Smart man, really. There are replacement plans for the entire system. Mnay add up to really loud. Still others are loud AND you suffer a POWER LOSS. The mufs are supposed to be the main power robbers if the cats are not plugged. There are people out there that have gone to headers and a complete 2.5 inch ex that was pro done and they are now back to a completely stock sys with new mufflers. You can shoot your self in the foot by moding the ex. One rule that comes from a highly respected source on this forum is that 2.0 pipe will handle up to 300 hp. Bigger is not really better as that will rob you of mid and low range power. People keep proving this on the board and if you sit still a while you will erad about someone else's bad experience. I have had Flow Master mufs recommended. They have no packing as they are of the tuned chamber design. Look up the Delta 50 series in 14 inch oval with off set ip and op. If you do the rest of your system you can still use the mufs and not be throwing the money away. A guy that did this told me it is silent at idle and will put a smile on your face at WOT. If it is still too tame..replace the resonators with 2.0 pipe. by then you will have read enuf posts to have a handle on it. Don't make my mistake and fail to post your plans for comment by those that have done what you are planing. Nice to know EXACTLY how it will work ouit BEFORE you plunk your money down.

I am going to measure the backpressure contributed by each component of the exaust system. I will post the results within a couple of weeks.

Big joke? Read about the BFI diy upgrade. Look it up on Lextreme. com and check the actual numbers recorded. For $9 and some time?

Good luck

John
Old 02-21-07, 08:01 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

this is a drawing i did for a guy a few months ago. You'll prob want everything but the magnaflow resonators. Im goin w/ 2 1/4 piping, w/o the magnaflow resonators, cause it'll be quieter and will give me a more balanced power band hopefully.

Old 02-21-07, 08:05 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

check this video out, it's a somewhat true dual, stock cats, 2.5in piping, magnaflow xpipe and stock mufflers.

http://www.intellexual.net/movies/livesc400.wmv
Old 02-21-07, 09:41 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2.25" pipe is considered convention. Get rid of the third cat/resonator. Put on some straight-through mufflers and you will roar. Make sure you still use a balance pipe (X-pipe comes to mind) to equilize the exhaust impulses. Few people are disappointed with the quality and value present with Magnaflow products. 14829 and 14851 come to mind as product numbers...
Old 02-26-07, 10:01 AM
BigD026
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks JohnEd and others for your input,
I'm starting to lean towards the following plan:
1.) Install aftermarket mufflers <see how i like it....if its still not enough...
2.) Remove the 3rd resonator with 2.0" piping...then maybe give up. I dont' want to fall into replacing my entire system just for a better sound.

Ok..i don't really give up..but maybe i'd try removing all resonators with straight piping and install high-flow cats...(then give up).

Does this should like logical plan for wanting a little more exhaust sound?

thanks,
MemphisDAve

Last edited by BigD026; 02-26-07 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-26-07, 10:13 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a stock SC300. I changed to Borlas awhile ago. After several months, the exhaust is much deeper... pleasently loud. Quiet at idle with a nice little burble from the exhaust. My MPGs have gone up a little bit as a bonus. No real seat-of-the-pants gain or loss in power, maybe a little more oomph in the top end above 5k rpm.
Old 02-26-07, 11:56 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD026
Thanks JohnEd and others for your input,
I'm starting to lean towards the following plan:
1.) Install aftermarket mufflers <see how i like it....if its still not enough...
2.) Remove the 3rd resonator with 2.0" piping...then maybe give up. I dont' want to fall into replacing my entire system just for a better sound.

Ok..i don't really give up..but maybe i'd try removing all resonators with straight piping and install high-flow cats...(then give up).

Does this should like logical plan for wanting a little more exhaust sound?

thanks,
MemphisDAve
Considering your goals, I would begin by simply removing the resonator and swapping a straight pipe instead. You can do this for chump change at Joe Blow's exhaust shop. It will make the system louder. If it is loud enough, you are done. If not, get new mufflers and swap the pipe from the rear end of the exhaust system.

Take the time to do a BFI as well. It sounds amazing and is super inexpensive.
Old 02-26-07, 01:08 PM
SCV8
Instructor

I was going to swap out my mufflers until I figured out (1) that they are straight through, like a performance muffler, and (2) that they were already installed(free).
I then replaced the center resonator and "y" merges to form a dual system with a short crossover tube where the first "Y" originally was.
It cost $60, half an hour at the local muffler shop.
Old 02-26-07, 05:04 PM
jimmyXthai
Lead Lap

nice work, thats what i wanted to do with my sc300, how much did it cost? and it should pass smog right?

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
check this video out, it's a somewhat true dual, stock cats, 2.5in piping, magnaflow xpipe and stock mufflers.

http://www.intellexual.net/movies/livesc400.wmv
Old 02-26-07, 08:02 PM
CyberSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Stock exhaust vid. See details next to video
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...889097&q=sc400

Same car. Magnaflow and X-pipe
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...320451&q=sc400
Old 02-26-07, 08:40 PM
Alpha8A
Driver

I got the Magnaflow 14829s, X-Pipe, third cat delete, and 2.25 in piping and also love how it sounds and looks. Cant go wrong here.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ESsh2IXAbkw
Old 02-26-07, 10:28 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What third Resonator are people talking about? It goes two tiny precats off the headers, then the center cat, then two resonators, and then two mufflers, there is no third resonator.
I myself had the middle cat ( the big one) deleted, and with teh rest stock, it sounds just fine, when you push it you can hear the car, and when you want to be quiet it sounds wonderful. If you want a couple sound clips heres a nice one at high revs. Sorry i'm not too great at recording while driving

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F-vdOO9LnE8

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vXTwcrcH7...e=user&search=

Quick Reply: SIMPLE Exhaust system change 4 sound