ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

USB and USB-C and MP3

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-24, 12:57 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts
Default USB and USB-C and MP3

My swell new ES350 has one USB port and one USB-C port in the center console under a nice little sliding cover. It also has 2 USB-C ports inside the center console. I have a few USB flash drives smaller than 32GB, and a few USB-C flash drives (smaller than 32GB), and well as two drives that have both the USB and the UBS-C plugs on them. (Also: all are formated Fat32, and none of the files are anywhere near 2GB.)
I put some music as MP3 files onto these drives, and when I try to play the music, I am confused by this:
any of them plugged into the standard USB port (the larger one, aka USB-3) the screen shows the directories and the files as it should. But none of them are recognized when plugged into the USB-C ports, even the drives that have both connectors on them.
Does anyone know why this is so? Is there something I can do to utilize the USB-C flash drives to play MP3 (or some other format) files?
Old 05-03-24, 01:43 PM
grp52
Instructor

Received 495 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
My swell new ES350 has one USB port and one USB-C port in the center console under a nice little sliding cover. It also has 2 USB-C ports inside the center console. I have a few USB flash drives smaller than 32GB, and a few USB-C flash drives (smaller than 32GB), and well as two drives that have both the USB and the UBS-C plugs on them. (Also: all are formated Fat32, and none of the files are anywhere near 2GB.)
I put some music as MP3 files onto these drives, and when I try to play the music, I am confused by this:
any of them plugged into the standard USB port (the larger one, aka USB-3) the screen shows the directories and the files as it should. But none of them are recognized when plugged into the USB-C ports, even the drives that have both connectors on them.
Does anyone know why this is so? Is there something I can do to utilize the USB-C flash drives to play MP3 (or some other format) files?
Per the 2024 LEXUS ES250, ES350 OWNER'S MANUAL USA AND CANADA ONLY on page 273:
The USB Type-C charging ports are for charging only. They are not designed for data transfer or other purposes.
and one of the illustrations pointing out USB-C charging port locations specifically identifies the USB-C port front of console location next to the USB-A data and charging port location.

Also, in the 2024 Lexus ES250, ES350, ES300h Multimedia Owner's Manual on page 27, the "Connecting to the USB port" section illustration showing the location on where to connect a USB device specifically points to the USB-A port located in the front of the console.

This generation of ES has always restricted USB data capable ports to those USB-A ports located at the front of the console. Over the years as Lexus changed USB port configurations and locations from all USB-A to a mix of USB-A and USB-C ports, Lexus hasn't changed the USB data capable port restriction from the front console's USB-A port(s) location. Other than WAG speculation, only the Lexus design engineering team can really answer why they decided on keeping that restriction in place over the years of upgrading the USB ports.
Old 05-03-24, 02:04 PM
tfischer

Received 203 Likes on 152 Posts

GRP:
Thanks for that info. "Charging only" for the USB-C ports escaped my memory, and although we are not sure why it's so limited, it's probably some nerdy-tech turf war. With the phone wireless charging pad, I really don't need the USB ports for charging, so I'll have to find some other use for them.
Thanks again for the prompt reply; I was afraid I had formated something incorrectly.