RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX350 doors won't lock or unlock with door buttons or fob

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-23, 07:02 PM
DenisR
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 doors won't lock or unlock with door buttons or fob

Hello all,
I'm new here and need some help. The battery in my 2015 RX350 died and needed to be jump started. Since then the doors won't lock or unlock with the key fob or the door buttons on either door inside the vehicle. When I press the buttons on the fob the lights go on like they should and I can hear, inside the dash, a noise like it's trying to do something but the locks don't move. The only way is to manually lock and unlock them. The auto start won't work either because of this. The rear door however does open and close with the fob and both the dash button and the rear door button. Any advice is appreciated greatly
Old 11-18-23, 08:51 PM
salimshah

Received 1,027 Likes on 927 Posts

Was the jump done correctly? I hope the polarity was not reversed.

First, please do not try to reprogram the key fob [you might be tempted but that is not the problem as the door buttons are not responding]

Make sure your battery is healthy by doing a load test. Also ask for alternator check.

Try unlocking/locking manually all locks and see if all fail to unlock with the electric button.

You can try using the mechanical key [pulled out of the key fob]. Hold it in unlock position for 2-3 seconds.

Salim
Old 11-18-23, 09:09 PM
DenisR
10th Gear

Originally Posted by salimshah
Was the jump done correctly? I hope the polarity was not reversed.

First, please do not try to reprogram the key fob [you might be tempted but that is not the problem as the door buttons are not responding]

Make sure your battery is healthy by doing a load test. Also ask for alternator check.

Try unlocking/locking manually all locks and see if all fail to unlock with the electric button.

You can try using the mechanical key [pulled out of the key fob]. Hold it in unlock position for 2-3 seconds.

Salim
Hi,
The polarity was not reversed, it was done correctly.
I wouldn't try to reprogram the fob, I agree that's not the problem.
Testing the battery is my next step, but would the back door lift gate still work?
I did the manual check, no locks open or close either with the fob or the buttons on the doors. The key will open the driver door, that's how I'm getting in for now. I didn't try to hold it in unlock though, it's that a reset thing?
Thanks for the advice
Old 11-18-23, 09:21 PM
DenisR
10th Gear

I also tested the fuse for the power doors and it is working
Old 11-19-23, 06:46 PM
salimshah

It seems like the door lock actuator(s) are not working and to narrow down which one(s) I suggested the procedure.

Typically only one fails at a time and.

Try holding the key as well as successive double lock and unlock action with the key.

As last resort, try to remove battery - terminal and leave the thing uncob=nnected for 20 minutes. You may loose some settings but that should do a reset for on board computer.

Salim
Old 11-20-23, 01:07 AM
DenisR
10th Gear

It seems like the door lock actuator(s) are not working and to narrow down which one(s) I suggested the procedure.

Typically only one fails at a time and.

Try holding the key as well as successive double lock and unlock action with the key.

As last resort, try to remove battery - terminal and leave the thing uncob=nnected for 20 minutes. You may loose some settings but that should do a reset for on board computer.

Salim
Salim
Thank you for all the info. Can you explain a little more about the procedure you think I should try to test the actuators please? Would I need to replace them in all 4 doors, there are only lock/unlock controls on the front doors.
'Try holding the key as well as successive double lock and unlock action with the key.'
Do you mean press the fob and door buttons at the same time?

I'll try disconnecting the battery for a reset, I'll fix/redo my settings if needed, I need these locks to work electronically, it's getting cold and i need the auto start.

Old 11-20-23, 06:52 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by DenisR
Salim
Thank you for all the info. Can you explain a little more about the procedure you think I should try to test the actuators please? Would I need to replace them in all 4 doors, there are only lock/unlock controls on the front doors.
'Try holding the key as well as successive double lock and unlock action with the key.'
Do you mean press the fob and door buttons at the same time?

I'll try disconnecting the battery for a reset, I'll fix/redo my settings if needed, I need these locks to work electronically, it's getting cold and i need the auto start.
I missed this part. There might be more going on.

Try the battery disconnect for about 1/2hr and if that does not work, a visit to the dealer or mechanic with auto-electric know how maybe the right thing to do.

Salim
Old 11-21-23, 12:49 AM
DenisR
10th Gear

I missed this part. There might be more going on.

Try the battery disconnect for about 1/2hr and if that does not work, a visit to the dealer or mechanic with auto-electric know how maybe the right thing to do.

Salim
I'll try disconnecting the battery and see if that resets the computer over the wknd when I have more time. I also made an appt with the dealer to look at the vehicle. After explaining my issue over the phone they were confused and want to run some tests. I'll post an update after Lexus looks it over.
Thank you for the advice Salim, it's much appreciated.
Denis
Old 12-14-23, 11:33 AM
DenisR
10th Gear

Originally Posted by DenisR
I'll try disconnecting the battery and see if that resets the computer over the wknd when I have more time. I also made an appt with the dealer to look at the vehicle. After explaining my issue over the phone they were confused and want to run some tests. I'll post an update after Lexus looks it over.
Thank you for the advice Salim, it's much appreciated.
Denis
*Update*
All 4 actuators were dead, had them replaced and all is well now. Doors work, remote start works etc.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-15-23, 04:58 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 403 Likes on 320 Posts

First time I have ever heard that all four door actuators were dead at the same time. Wonder how that happened, and I also wonder if the shop truly confirmed that was indeed the case....
Old 12-15-23, 07:11 AM
DenisR
10th Gear

Originally Posted by RX in NC
First time I have ever heard that all four door actuators were dead at the same time. Wonder how that happened, and I also wonder if the shop truly confirmed that was indeed the case....
I bought the car used and in that condition so I do not know when they all went. It may have been over time for the previous owner, I have no way of knowing...all I do know is that Lexus service dept did in fact "truly confirm" that all 4 were bad and I had them all replaced. Why would you question that, why would I lie about it?
Old 12-15-23, 08:10 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 403 Likes on 320 Posts

Not accusing YOU of lying about anything. But quite a few DEALERSHIPS lie through their teeth to their customers in order to jack up the bill if they believe they can get away with it.
Old 01-24-24, 01:58 PM
canuckaudi
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One of my back passenger door is not locking now. I had to lock it manually by pushing the lock on the door. I think it's the actuator. All the other doors work fine. But 4 actuator dead at the same time? What are the chances of that?
Old 05-11-24, 11:53 AM
Furkan
1st Gear

I'm new here and need some help.Unlock lock remote not working but remote light biling and The car is becoming a star but remote unlock lock not working
Old 05-12-24, 07:09 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Furkan
I'm new here and need some help.Unlock lock remote not working but remote light biling and The car is becoming a star but remote unlock lock not working
Can you lock/unlock with the driver-door-switch [not the ****].

Also are certain locks not operating vs all are not responding.

Finally was there a time when the locks used to work and did any one mess with programming.

Salim