LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 05:57 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 676 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
P0171 and P0172 were supposed to be that Bank 1 and 2 were both too lean. Is this incorrect?
If your Indy said that Bank 1 and 2 were both too lean, then the codes should be P0171 and P0174.

The following users liked this post:
Bocatrip (11-23-17)
Old 11-23-17, 06:53 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 272 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by rkw77080
If your Indy said that Bank 1 and 2 were both too lean, then the codes should be P0171 and P0174.

I'll recheck with my Indy on Monday. Thanks for the heads up RKW.
Old 11-23-17, 11:29 AM
Jabberwock

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Gronemus
There's a couple of problems with this. First, at least around here, there are no retailers that will let you return sensors or other electrical items. Some might if the device was sealed and it was brought back unused, in the original packaging. Face it, would you want to be the next guy in line receiving a now used part for your car? I know I wouldn't.

Second, depending on how one drives, this problem might take several days to reappear after the OBD system has been reset. So you might think that you've fixed the problem only to have it show up later...
I personally would have no issue buying a MAF sensor in particular that had been tried out in another car for a day as long as it was returned in as new condition. And I would also mention my plan and intention to the parts guy to be 100% transparent. Certainly if the part was installed and degraded in any way then it is not ethical to return the item but that is not going to happen on a MAF installed and run for a day (which is likely plenty of time for the error code to come back if the issue is not a bad MAF). I have not purchased a MAF sensor but I doubt that they come in sealed packages.
Old 11-23-17, 02:46 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I personally would have no issue buying a MAF sensor in particular that had been tried out in another car for a day as long as it was returned in as new condition. And I would also mention my plan and intention to the parts guy to be 100% transparent. Certainly if the part was installed and degraded in any way then it is not ethical to return the item but that is not going to happen on a MAF installed and run for a day (which is likely plenty of time for the error code to come back if the issue is not a bad MAF). I have not purchased a MAF sensor but I doubt that they come in sealed packages.
Am I ok with buying the OEM Denso/Toyota MAFs advertised on eBay and packaged in the Toyota boxes with the part number on the outside? They are extremely reasonable. Some are $30 and others go up to $100. What’s the difference? All are in Toyota and or Denso packaging are new and claim is OEM. Also is there any calibration necessary after replacing the MAF or is it pretty much just plug and play?
Old 11-25-17, 06:47 AM
Jabberwock

Received 204 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bocatrip
Am I ok with buying the OEM Denso/Toyota MAFs advertised on eBay and packaged in the Toyota boxes with the part number on the outside? They are extremely reasonable. Some are $30 and others go up to $100. What’s the difference? All are in Toyota and or Denso packaging are new and claim is OEM. Also is there any calibration necessary after replacing the MAF or is it pretty much just plug and play?
I have had generally good luck with ebay purchases but there are lots of folks selling fake counterfeit parts on eBay so you are taking a chance unless you are buying direct from a Lexus/Toyota dealer who also has an ebay store with discounted parts. I personally would stick with a known seller and also stick with OEM or Denso branded parts for a MAF or any of the other electrical style sensors.
Old 11-25-17, 10:53 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
I have had generally good luck with ebay purchases but there are lots of folks selling fake counterfeit parts on eBay so you are taking a chance unless you are buying direct from a Lexus/Toyota dealer who also has an ebay store with discounted parts. I personally would stick with a known seller and also stick with OEM or Denso branded parts for a MAF or any of the other electrical style sensors.
Very sound advice. Not sure how easy to a Lexus dealer on eBay but I’ll try. Thanks for the heads up on counterfeit.