SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Alignment Specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-20, 11:16 PM
joemg
Instructor

Received 271 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc
I bought OEM arms since it's cheaper for me that way and I did the installation myself (easy) I don't trust 3rd party rubber bushing, I don't think poly bushing is good for this application and then the labor cost to cut out the rubber & press in the new bushing. If you want to track the car, go for poly bushing. https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/FE-L6009
Also, if you have someone do this, ask them how much would it cost to do poly bushing for your steering rack. https://www.shopfigs.com/v3/2GS_SC430SR-40_87

I'm never tracking this car, I don't even autoX my miata that I've been saying "I should really auto-X" for like 5 years.

The matching mevotech front LCAs are pretty inexpensive, $37 for left, $50 for right. Hopefully I won't need to do that, but I'll take a look at the bushing.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401

I should have done the poly steering rack bushing when I did the headers, but I didn't realize we would be taking that out at the time.
Old 07-09-20, 07:14 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by joemg
I'm never tracking this car, I don't even autoX my miata that I've been saying "I should really auto-X" for like 5 years.

The matching mevotech front LCAs are pretty inexpensive, $37 for left, $50 for right. Hopefully I won't need to do that, but I'll take a look at the bushing.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...trol+arm,10401

I should have done the poly steering rack bushing when I did the headers, but I didn't realize we would be taking that out at the time.
The link you provided is for the LCA, not the LCA#2. There is no after market LCA#2.
Old 07-09-20, 09:00 AM
joemg
Instructor

The link you provided is for the LCA, not the LCA#2. There is no after market LCA#2.

ahh, I see now.
Old 07-19-20, 11:55 PM
joemg
Instructor

Just realized I posted the pics of the control arms in the coilovers thread and not this thread by mistake. Here's a link to anyone following (more pics there):
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10847973

Originally Posted by joemg
The Mevotech adjustable control arms arrived today. They are, in fact, SPC 722701's, they have SPC 722701 stamped into them and even the US Patent number. That's crazy since the SPCs are over $600 and I just paid $280.

I took up close pics of all the welds, they look great. Now that I have them in hand, I'm really glad I listened to digitalaltc and didn't go with the racerboi control arms, lol.

Going in for alignment tomorrow, I'll post the results. Thanks again to everyone for the info!
Old 07-21-20, 07:18 PM
joemg
Instructor

Ok, Alignment is complete with the control arms/RCA inserts. We're back in spec, sans a very tiny 0.2deg caster and 0.1deg cross caster on the front, which they said was actually a good thing and wouldn't cause any additional wear. Something about how the roads are shaped, I don't know, lol.

I asked them to dial the front camber in to around -1deg if they could, they got pretty close.

Attached Thumbnails Alignment Specs-img_8095.jpeg  
The following users liked this post:
digitatc (07-21-20)
Old 09-17-20, 09:58 AM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bushings versus replace LCA#2?

I think I found aftermarket LCA #2 (castor arms) for my Lexus SC430 but my mechanic said they are junk and wouldn't last 6 months. Apparently, the bushings on my LCA #2 are bad and rather than replace the LCA #2 my mechanic said he'll look at whether he can replace the bushings.....it all depends on the threads to the bushings.

My right upper control arm bushings were bad and he said it needs to be replaced even though the ball joint looks ok. He uses an acceptable aftermarket for the upper control arm.

You seem pretty knowledgeable ....will the time in "pressing" the bushings ($60 for each bushing from lexus) offset the cost of the castor bars ($180 each). What happens if I only replace the upper control arm. Will the bad bushings on my LCA #2 case me major problems? thanks.
Old 09-17-20, 01:44 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Depend on how you want this done:
1. Buy rubber bushings + labor to press it out/in = ?
2. Buy brand new OEM arms from this Lexus dealer on ebay for $300. https://www.ebay.com/itm/LEXUS-OEM-F...pid=1723312464
The bad bushing on the LCA#2 is the one that causes inner tire wear for the front. Your brand new tires might be gone in a few thousand miles.
If you go route #1, might as well press in the SuperPro bushing from Figs Engineer. It'll last a lifetime, but you might feel some vibration feedback from the roads.
jimaleg (09-18-20)
Old 09-29-20, 01:27 PM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The bad bushing on the LCA#2 is the one that causes inner tire wear for the front. Your brand new tires might be gone in a few thousand miles.
This is really strange but I don't see any "inner tire wear"....My tires are far from new but it doesn't appear to be abnormal (non even wear). I don't know when the LCA #2 arm bushings went bad....presumably they were ok in July 2019 (although my UCA was starting to show signs of wear he said I could wait a year which I did). I only put about 3500 miles a year on the car and maybe 400 since the control arm was diagnosed. I haven't had the alignment checked since I'm waiting on my mechanic to give me answer on pressing the bushings....I showed him the Ebay listing for control arms digitalc sent me and he didn't seem swayed. The bushings are $120 plus the time to press them. I'm tempted to just go ahead and get them. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-29-20, 06:10 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimaleg
This is really strange but I don't see any "inner tire wear"....My tires are far from new but it doesn't appear to be abnormal (non even wear). I don't know when the LCA #2 arm bushings went bad....presumably they were ok in July 2019 (although my UCA was starting to show signs of wear he said I could wait a year which I did). I only put about 3500 miles a year on the car and maybe 400 since the control arm was diagnosed. I haven't had the alignment checked since I'm waiting on my mechanic to give me answer on pressing the bushings....I showed him the Ebay listing for control arms digitalc sent me and he didn't seem swayed. The bushings are $120 plus the time to press them. I'm tempted to just go ahead and get them. Any suggestions appreciated.
no wear? any vibration? If not then why replace? I replaced mine because when I bought the car, the rear tires were new and the inner side of the front tires were almost gone.
It's really up to you to buy the OEM arms or press in the poly bushings. There are multiple threads covering poly bushing in the SC430 & GS300/400, you can read/research more if you have time.
jimaleg (10-02-20)
Old 11-09-21, 10:21 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no wear? any vibration? If not then why replace? I replaced mine because when I bought the car, the rear tires were new and the inner side of the front tires were almost gone.
It's really up to you to buy the OEM arms or press in the poly bushings. There are multiple threads covering poly bushing in the SC430 & GS300/400, you can read/research more if you have time.
I bought the rear lower arms by Godspeed so I could get the camber back to CORRECT.. Sitting at exactly 0.00 degrees in the rear with the added weight on my stereo stuff in the trunk. https://www.ebay.com/itm/16337364096...Bk9SR8TE7t6gXw
But when I was just getting the GS inspected a couple weeks ago--- I totally forget the shop said I needed a new rear LCA bushing and they not only a) bought an entire new (aftermarket?) control arm ($130) but then (b) INSTALLED the damn thing, when I had my adjustable set, new in the box, in the trunk. Ahhh... Oh well. $270 in the trash can. I guess if somebody wants or could use my (1 NEW) and (1 OEM) rear lower control arms, once I install the Godspeeds next spring or summer... I could give them to a friend or something.

What about the bushings in the Godspeeds--- even though they're such a cheap part to begin with--- seems like a smart idea to buy the Poly bushings from Figs and press them into the new adjustable LCA's before I install them, right? What do you guys think?

AHHHH... Now I just saw the part my shop replaced is only $60 w/ tax, by Mevotech ! WTH-- I feel so ripped off.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/29436571551...Bk9SR5Tx2t6gXw
Old 11-09-21, 11:30 AM
digitatc
Instructor

if you really need to do 0 camber in the rear, you'll need this as well to balance out the toe, it's more important than 0 camber regarding tire wear.
https://shopfigs.com/v5/cat-sc430/L1...=DESC&limit=15
Old 11-15-21, 07:35 AM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you really need to do 0 camber in the rear, you'll need this as well to balance out the toe, it's more important than 0 camber regarding tire wear.
https://shopfigs.com/v5/cat-sc430/L1...=DESC&limit=15
I don't NEED to do zero camber in the rear, but until I install the AirLift or even just some nice drop springs instead for now--- that's what it is. Yes though--- and thank you... I do have the adjustable toe links installed. Getting the alignment in less than two weeks from today.. we'll see! ha