SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Abs light on, Speedometer not working and odometer not tracking miles

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-18, 02:52 PM
BoSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Abs light on, Speedometer not working and odometer not tracking miles

Please help. New to the group. I have a 2002 sc430 with abs light on, traction control on, speedometer not working and odometer is not tracking miles. I have replaced ECM and checked all known fuses/relays. Diagnostic computers will not communicate with antilock break system but will connect to engine. I have no idea what to do next. Please advise.
Old 10-21-18, 07:15 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 859 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by BoSC430
Please help. New to the group. I have a 2002 sc430 with abs light on, traction control on, speedometer not working and odometer is not tracking miles. I have replaced ECM and checked all known fuses/relays. Diagnostic computers will not communicate with antilock break system but will connect to engine. I have no idea what to do next. Please advise.
welcome to Club Lexus!

hope we can help.

can you tell us how this all started?
Old 10-21-18, 09:17 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

My guess would be a speed sensor issue since that would effect ABS. Possibly a broken gear in the speedometer system.
Since you are in Tennessee, was the car involved in any high water with the recent hurricane?
Old 10-21-18, 06:35 PM
otmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same things happen to my 02 this summer. It turned out to be the skid control module. Techstream would not talk to the ABS system.
I sent the unit out for repair, when it came back it still didn't work. Repair company said some other part of the system may be frying the computer.
I then carried the car to Lexus to be checked out. Results were that only the skid control module was bad. They replaced that and the problem went away.
One question which may not mean anything : Is the steering stiff when barely moving ?
The following users liked this post:
Jabberwock (10-24-18)
Old 10-22-18, 03:25 AM
BoSC430
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for all the input! No, it has not been exposed to water or had water damage. This all started a few months back. I have 67xxx miles on the car.

Yes, the steering is difficult....
Old 10-22-18, 07:48 AM
otmike
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Brake light was on in my car but the traction control was not.
Maybe someone with service manual can check to confirm ; I think that I saw where 2 wires from the skid control module
go to the solenoid on the power steering pump. Replacing the skid control did not correct stiff steering at slow speed on my car.
I hope you find your problem is maybe a wheel sensor like has been mentioned.
Old 10-22-18, 11:15 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 464 Likes on 389 Posts

What kind of diagnostic computer do you have? Any chance you have access to Techstream, Toyota's computer system?
Old 10-24-18, 08:35 AM
BoSC430
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Update: the skid control module (abs ecu) replacement fixed all issues!!!! I purchased a refurbished skid control module from eBay and installed it. It is a pain in the @ss to get the old one out. But it fixed all symptoms! Thank you for the advice.
The following 3 users liked this post by BoSC430:
Coleroad (10-24-18), Jabberwock (10-24-18), lexixel (10-28-18)
Old 10-24-18, 10:18 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 410 Likes on 359 Posts

Good to know. Glad that you got it fix and are back up and running. Thanks for letting us know.
Old 10-25-18, 05:01 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

This really is an amazing forum.
Old 01-13-20, 04:37 PM
Ando2905
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: the skid control module (abs ecu) replacement fixed all issues!!!! I purchased a refurbished skid control module from eBay and installed it. It is a pain in the @ss to get the old one out. But it fixed all symptoms! Thank you for the advice.
Do u have to do any programing?
Old 07-24-20, 06:39 AM
JabobJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This video explains the 3 simultaneous symptoms others have had and shows the process of how it’s fixed. Hope this helps everyone who may run into this issue.
3 issues are:

1. 1. speedometer not moving

2. 2. odometer digital display is blank

3. 3. shifting is erratic while trying to accelerate
Old 11-30-20, 12:05 PM
Owenn21
Driver School Candidate

Default I also need help in a similar situation on my lexus is 250 awd 07

i also got this similar problem where my brake,abs,p/s n traction control light are on also my speedometer or milage aren’t reading and the usual vsc check n also in the same spot a 4wd check ive replaced the crankshaft sensor n both rear abs sensors to see in it solve the problem which did not this light all came on when i replaced passenger side rear hub but the speedometer still was functioning. It stop functioning when I replaced driver side hub a week later... n I brought it to a shop n they told me i needed new abs sensor that i just replaced... at this point im full of frustration n im not sure what to follow with anyone here could help?
update i just left the shop n the p/s light went off n the power steering started working again, further down the speedometer started working, abs light ,brake and check vsc and 4wd still on no check engine light. N the p/s steering light would comes on eventually when i leave it in park it automatically comes off when i put it in drive what could this be?

Last edited by Owenn21; 11-30-20 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-30-20, 12:34 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 464 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by Owenn21
i also got this similar problem where my brake,abs,p/s n traction control light are on also my speedometer or milage aren’t reading and the usual vsc check n also in the same spot a 4wd check ive replaced the crankshaft sensor n both rear abs sensors to see in it solve the problem which did not this light all came on when i replaced passenger side rear hub but the speedometer still was functioning. It stop functioning when I replaced driver side hub a week later... n I brought it to a shop n they told me i needed new abs sensor that i just replaced... at this point im full of frustration n im not sure what to follow with anyone here could help?
The original poster solved the problem by replacing the ABS Computer
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10341384
Old 11-30-20, 12:46 PM
Owenn21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
The original poster solved the problem by replacing the ABS Computer
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l#post10341384
i left the shop today n the ps light went off n speedometer started working the rest of the light still on...

Quick Reply: Abs light on, Speedometer not working and odometer not tracking miles