SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Apple Car Play to replace Nav unit

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-18, 08:08 PM
Bergermd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Apple Car Play to replace Nav unit

I just got a 2007 SC430...love it, but the upper Nav unit dated. Would like to keep the original radio unit (bottom), but want to replace the Nav unit up top with something that would allow Apple Car Play, incorporate a backup camera, allow for bluetooth calling, and (most importantly) preserve the functioning of the door when starting/stopping engine and allow for the steering wheel controls to still work. Is this all possible? Suggestions? Many thanks!
Old 07-30-18, 10:54 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 543 Likes on 413 Posts

You can replace the bottom one with all the features you want, easy ! Not so for the top one. I don't know if anyone has replaced the NAV unit.
Old 07-31-18, 05:00 AM
ShellyGX
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Could replace the bottom one and have it mirror to the top one.

Get one of the new units with wireless/bluetooth Apple Car Play on the bottom, mirror to the top and just keep the bottom door closed. That would do all you are asking.

If you kept the bottom unit it would be unused anyway right?

Steering wheel controls are for the bottom one.
Old 08-03-18, 03:02 AM
NewLexland
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Alpine Freestyle 7-inch navigation system is the answer.
Old 08-03-18, 11:02 AM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am not sure...and dont have experience...but I have looked at the nav tool before and think it has what you want. Others may have actual experience.

http://www.navtool.com/lexus-sc-2002...-category.aspx
The following users liked this post:
hinman (08-10-18)
Old 08-03-18, 01:20 PM
lexixel
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

buy two suction cups & mount an ipad pro
Old 08-10-18, 12:14 PM
hinman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had experience with this product and/or dealer? It looks pretty good to me.
Old 08-10-18, 10:32 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hinman
Has anyone had experience with this product and/or dealer? It looks pretty good to me.
Interesting. My Nav tool has only two video inputs. Wonder how many inputs this one has.

Last edited by GmanSC; 08-10-18 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-11-18, 05:55 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC

Interesting. My Nav tool has only two video inputs. Wonder how many inputs this one has.
it appears to have four video inputs...there description webpage is very busy and does not have a specifications page, or did I miss it?
also, way too many pop ups.

Description:

NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY is a new generation of video interfaces that adds smartphone mirroring & Apple Carplay and video capabilities to vehicles with a factory color screen or factory installed navigation system.
  • Add Apple Carplay
  • Add Up to 4 Cameras - Camera Images Turn On Automatically Or Can Be Turned On Manually If Required.
  • Add Front Camera
  • Add Left Lane Watch Camera
  • Add Right Lane Watch Camera
  • Add Rear View Camera - If Vehicle Is Not Equipped with A Factory Rear View Camera
  • Add DVD Player
  • Add USB Video Streaming Player
NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAYadds Apple CarPlay and 4 composite video inputs to vehicles factory color screen no-navigation or navigation system.

NavTool NAVTOOL4.0-APPLE-CARPLAY does not replace or add the factory screen; it creates additional video inputs and smartphone mirroring & Apple Carplay capabilities for the factory installed navigation system or color information screen. Vehicles equipped with factory color screen or an outdated factory navigation can now take advantage of the navigations apps installed on your smartphone, mirror/project any application including navigation applications (Waze, Google Maps and similar) from smartphone to vehicle's color screen.

Old 08-11-18, 07:29 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

How does it switch from one to other video(s), automatic?
Old 08-11-18, 01:25 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GmanSC
How does it switch from one to other video(s), automatic?
its all listed on the busy web page but I think it said you could select auto or manual
Old 10-12-18, 11:25 AM
mooton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to revive a two-month old thread, but I'm in the process of doing this right now and thought the info would be useful.

I want exactly that: CarPlay to replace the factory audio, keep the steering wheel controls, and possibly mirror the video to the existing Nav screen while keep full functionality of the original Nav when not mirroring.

And I want all this done, professionally installed, with name-brand parts, for under $1,200 (under $1,000 ideally).

I found a local, reliable, experienced shop that knew exactly what I was looking for - knew the car and how I wanted to keep the woodgrain doors active, steering wheel controls, etc.

So, we're going with the Beat-Sonic system to make sure all the steering wheel controls remain active AND it has the two triangular side panels to make everything look flush with that space. Then we're going with the Pioneer 2400 for its wired CarPlay and generally strong features. It has a DVD player as well which will allow video to show on the upper Nav screen, but only when the car is not moving. This is not a feature I needed, but it's an extra $50 over the model without it, so it's worth it for the novelty of it.

However, this is the bummer - it will not mirror CarPlay to the upper Nav screen - this was just confirmed with Pioneer before the installation. And that's fine - it would have been nice to have maps show up closer to eye level, but I'd rather have all the capabilities regardless.

The last decision was where to route the connector. I'm opting for inside the center console next to the existing DC lighter port. That way, the phone can be plugged in and charging and sending CarPlay to the unit. I don't care that the phone is less accessible there because CarPlay takes care of all my needs on the screen.

BTW, the whole thing should be about $1,100. I can update once I pick it back up next week.
The following users liked this post:
ShellyGX (10-12-18)
Old 10-12-18, 01:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mooton
Sorry to revive a two-month old thread, but I'm in the process of doing this right now and thought the info would be useful.

I want exactly that: CarPlay to replace the factory audio, keep the steering wheel controls, and possibly mirror the video to the existing Nav screen while keep full functionality of the original Nav when not mirroring.

And I want all this done, professionally installed, with name-brand parts, for under $1,200 (under $1,000 ideally).

I found a local, reliable, experienced shop that knew exactly what I was looking for - knew the car and how I wanted to keep the woodgrain doors active, steering wheel controls, etc.

So, we're going with the Beat-Sonic system to make sure all the steering wheel controls remain active AND it has the two triangular side panels to make everything look flush with that space. Then we're going with the Pioneer 2400 for its wired CarPlay and generally strong features. It has a DVD player as well which will allow video to show on the upper Nav screen, but only when the car is not moving. This is not a feature I needed, but it's an extra $50 over the model without it, so it's worth it for the novelty of it.

However, this is the bummer - it will not mirror CarPlay to the upper Nav screen - this was just confirmed with Pioneer before the installation. And that's fine - it would have been nice to have maps show up closer to eye level, but I'd rather have all the capabilities regardless.

The last decision was where to route the connector. I'm opting for inside the center console next to the existing DC lighter port. That way, the phone can be plugged in and charging and sending CarPlay to the unit. I don't care that the phone is less accessible there because CarPlay takes care of all my needs on the screen.

BTW, the whole thing should be about $1,100. I can update once I pick it back up next week.
This is exactly what we want you to do...use the same thread, then it’s all in one package.

Several of us used Pioneer with Beat Sonic,

Here is my second install on the 2007,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...007-sc430.html

here is my first on my 2002
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...with-pics.html

Mic and XM antenna placement, 2002
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...placement.html

Old 10-12-18, 01:39 PM
mooton
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thank, glad to know I've made some similar decisions to folks here. There's a lot to read in these three threads, and I've made a first pass, but real quickly, a few questions:

1) So, the assumption that you cannot mirror CarPlay, or the head unit display in general, is correct? And there's no hack/workaround to make that work?
2) I worry about the cut to allow video in-motion, because according to their doc: "Cutting the SPD wire will disable distance calculated scheduled maintenance items used by the Maintenance Information screen on the Multi-Display." And that's a really nice feature to have.
3) With the mic up by the Homelink, how does it pick up audio when the top is down on the highway? Is there a best location for the mic? We were thinking left of the steering column on the flat space to the right of the trunk release.
Old 10-12-18, 02:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mooton
Great thank, glad to know I've made some similar decisions to folks here. There's a lot to read in these three threads, and I've made a first pass, but real quickly, a few questions:

1) So, the assumption that you cannot mirror CarPlay, or the head unit display in general, is correct? And there's no hack/workaround to make that work?
2) I worry about the cut to allow video in-motion, because according to their doc: "Cutting the SPD wire will disable distance calculated scheduled maintenance items used by the Maintenance Information screen on the Multi-Display." And that's a really nice feature to have.
3) With the mic up by the Homelink, how does it pick up audio when the top is down on the highway? Is there a best location for the mic? We were thinking left of the steering column on the flat space to the right of the trunk release.
1. you are correct, you cannot mirror to the Nav screen with the pioneer radio.
what you need is a radio that will video output everything on its screen. Anyone know of such a model?

2. Agreed, I don’t use it so I cut it.

3. I placed the mic in the same location as the factory mic, it works fine. My 2002 and 2007 are this way.

NOTE: my upper screen is used for the backup camera. I found this to be safer because I am more heads up this way and can see out my peripheral vision

Last edited by Bgw70; 10-12-18 at 02:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
mooton (10-12-18), ShellyGX (10-12-18)

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play to replace Nav unit