SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top not working

Old 06-12-19, 08:38 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
That's a bummer your top stopped working. What did the dealer tell you exactly? It is important that we know EXACTLY what they diagnosed the problem as. Like BOB said, we are looking for a code that starts with a B25**.

Usually if they say it is a hinge problem, they says they need to replace both hinges and it is $3500-ish. I think their theory is that if one motor wears out, that means all of the motors are close to their end of life.

I think that is the way to go, but you don't have to go to the dealer. If you call an independent Lexus Repair shop, they may be willing to tackle the job for you.

You can buy a matching pair of 06 hinges from these guys for about $430. It took me about 6 hours to replace mine.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-SC430-DR...ry!85012!US!-1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/06-SC430-DR...af91fc3a643d8e

It is a little time consuming, but not hard
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...etty-easy.html
This is what I'm hoping to do - finding an independent Lexus shop, which for some reason had been lot harder than what I thought, so far no luck in finding one in Denver. Anyone has any recommendations? Outside of Colorado is great too. I've a high school graduate who is after me to fix this and is more than happy to drive any distance to fix this, if that saves money. He got 2 months of free time on his hand 😁 before the college starts

Last edited by SaiRam; 06-12-19 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-13-19, 09:37 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SaiRam
I've a high school graduate who is after me to fix this and is more than happy to drive any distance to fix this, if that saves money. He got 2 months of free time on his hand 😁 before the college starts
Is he any good with computers? If he is, have him sign in to clublexus and we will talk him through how to get the Lexus Diagnostic software (About $30 + an old laptop) It costs less than an hour of mechanics labor and is the key to solving the top problem.

Once he gets the codes, we can figure out the next step.

Oh yeah, we cal also walk you through it, if you are interested
Old 06-13-19, 10:49 AM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Is he any good with computers? If he is, have him sign in to clublexus and we will talk him through how to get the Lexus Diagnostic software (About $30 + an old laptop) It costs less than an hour of mechanics labor and is the key to solving the top problem.

Once he gets the codes, we can figure out the next step.

Oh yeah, we cal also walk you through it, if you are interested
I was a programmer 10+ years ago so I probably can handle it and yes I'm definitely interested in whatever saves me money 😀

Please let me know how I can get the software.

Thanks a lot!
Old 06-13-19, 11:46 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

If you use the search tool at the forum level then search for “Techstream” there are plenty of threads, some even with links to eBay or Amazon. Besides the software, you'll need the physical connector and a windows based laptop. In addition you might consider a two-day subscription to TIS or picking up a CDROM version of the repair service manual.
Finally, I once experienced the problem of no light at the roof’s control button...turns out the voltage at the battery was too low to run the sequence so the car would not even light the indicator. Took three days on a charger to get the battery back to full charge...now I leave it on a trickle charger.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 06-15-19 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-14-19, 01:31 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Bob; I'll check this out and will keep you guys posted. The car is at a shop now for some body work and I'll get it later next week. I'll try to get the software ready with the physical connector by then. I'll bother you guys if I run into any issues.

Have a great Fathers Day weekend!
Old 06-15-19, 11:44 AM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
If you use the search tool at the forum level then search for “Techstream” there are plenty of threads, some even with links to eBay or Amazon. Besides the software, you'll need the physical connector and a windows based laptop. In addition you might consider a two-day subscription to TIS or picking up a CDROM version of the repair service manual.
Finally, I once experienced the problem of no light at the roof’s control button...turns out the voltage at the battery was to low to run the sequence so the car would not even light the indicator. Took three days on a charger to get the battery back to full charge...now I leave it on a trickle charger.
Bob, I found this on Amazon:

Amazon Amazon

It is the cheapest with both connector and software. May I get this one?

Thank you!
Old 06-15-19, 12:05 PM
VVTiBob

You certainly don’t need my permission! My purchase decisions are not typically based cost but on the seller’s statement of interoperability, i.e. will all components they work together well. I also read reviews by others in an attempt to verify reliability.
Old 06-15-19, 05:35 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/mycheng-Diagn...s%2C252&sr=8-6

It is the cheapest with both connector and software. May I get this one?

Thank you!
The vendor says it’s for Win 7 -32 or 64 bit, be aware, if you install to 64 bit machine it will give you an error message “unable to connect to VIM” . To corect thís problem, you have to modify the computer registry.
I don’t see they list the software or firmware versions.
You want version 12, stay away from vet 13. It has bugs and crashes in certain tests ( I do not know if they fix the bugs in version 14).
Search the forum for more info’s.
Old 06-17-19, 08:59 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

May I get this one?

Thank you!
What kind of computer are you going to put it on? Ideally you will install it on a windows XP laptop. Or a windows 7 32 bit laptop.

A desktop will work also, but it is hard to setup near your car.

Also, what year is your car again?
Old 06-17-19, 09:03 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

This is pretty old and a little beat up, but it will work for your needs https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Notebo...sAAOSwS9Bc~w4v
Old 06-20-19, 08:26 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Bob; will do. I still didn't get my car back from the shop, they keep postponing on when I get it back.
Old 06-20-19, 08:30 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Interestingly I haven't found Win XP or Windows 7 32 bit machine yet, waiting to get my car back to reach out to my friends for an older laptop.

My car is 2006.
Old 06-20-19, 08:31 PM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

What kind of computer are you going to put it on? Ideally you will install it on a windows XP laptop. Or a windows 7 32 bit laptop.

A desktop will work also, but it is hard to setup near your car.

Also, what year is your car again?
Interestingly I haven't found Win XP or Windows 7 32 bit machine yet, waiting to get my car back to reach out to my friends for an older laptop.

My car is 2006.
Old 07-09-19, 08:50 AM
SaiRam
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Bob; will do. I still didn't get my car back from the shop, they keep postponing on when I get it back.
Finally, I have an update. After the body shop I had to take it to a different dealer who was able to fix the top issue for $300 with a caveat that it may stop working again and then I'll need to change the hinges. Apparently the cable that retracts the top slipped off from its position which he was able to put it back.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Now my question is, should I trade this in while the top is in working condition and get a newer model with rear cam. Hoping newer models may have better hinges. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-19, 09:48 AM
VVTiBob

I don’t believe any revisions were made to the engineering of the sliding roof past the 2006 model year where most of the car’s refresh occurred. The question you should have asked is what caused the failure, the cable slipping from its position, in an effort to prevent a reoccurrence.
No model years came standard with a back up camera including the last year, 2010 which are difficult to find. Adding a Back up camera is a modification done by many of our members using a variety of methods.

Regarding trading in the car as is, that’s your decision.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Top not working