SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-18, 02:11 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top not working

Hi I've got a 2002, the top has stopped working. When I press the top switch nothing happens, no red light, no noises. I've checked the valet button, the toneau cover, and made sure there are no obstructions in the trunk. I checked all the fuses in the trunk and they all seem good. I ran a scan tool on the ECM and no codes are stored. I disconnected the battery for an hour just to see if that might help. Also since the top stopped working, the auto down feature won't work on either of the windows. Anyone have ideas of what else I can check? Thanks!
Old 01-29-18, 02:35 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Jim,

Since your power down windows aren't working, I would suspect that is why your top doesn't work.

Since, the top is exclusive to Lexus, you need to find someone who has access to TechStream. That is the software Toyota/Lexus uses to read their computer modules.

If you do a search, you can find several posts about techstream.

Here is the latest one: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...sion-help.html

Once you get the codes read, using techstream, you will know what your next step will be.

Again, the software is called TechStream. (I am sorta joking with you, but reading the exclusive Toyota codes really is the first step)

Your other option is to see if your auto down module is broken/has a blown fuse/ a loose connection.
Old 01-29-18, 03:03 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

There is procedure you have to do for your electric seats as well a your windows after you do a battery reset. The instructions are in the owners manual. I will bet that will correct the auto windows as well as the seat. The top is another issue. Is your scan tool capable of reading the lexus proprietary codes ?
Old 01-29-18, 03:47 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the help. Yes I have tried to to the calibration procedure on the windows, no luck there, they still won't roll down one touch. I checked the window fuses and they seem OK as well.

The scan tool I'm using can read engine diagnostics, it has in the past. I'm guessing it doesn't read Toyota specific.
Old 01-29-18, 05:32 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Okay first question: does the remote window auto up/down window feature using either, the key fob or door lock techniques work?

next question, have you done any work on the drivers door, locking mechanism, or wiring. (There is a DOOR ECU IN BOTH DOORS which interconnects the roof and window, one of many ECUs controlling the roof and interrelated components)
You may be forced to go to a dealer or mechanic who has techstream diagnostic and TIS to get proprietary DTC codes.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-29-18 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 05:36 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

No it doesn't work with either. The windows roll down fine when holding the button down. Also it doesn't matter if I use the driverside switches or the passenger switch.
Old 01-29-18, 05:41 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
Since your power down windows aren't working, I would suspect that is why your top doesn't work.
Since the top sequence moves the window first thing, this is logical.

Originally Posted by mrblister
There is procedure you have to do for your electric seats as well a your windows after you do a battery reset. The instructions are in the owners manual.
I've killed the battery a zillion times and even disconnected it for weeks on end. Never had a window related issue. Maybe 06 was different somehow?

Originally Posted by motojim21
When I press the top switch nothing happens, no red light, no noises.
This is the symptom that interests me. If the car was having a "can't put down the window" error, you'd think the red light would be on.

The diagnosis really needs the Lexus proprietary code. It might be worth a trip to the dealer just to get the code, if you don't have TechStream. I've done that and as I recall the dealer charged me a one-hour minimum, which saved me thousands in the end.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 01-29-18 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 05:58 PM
VVTiBob

Ok sounds like fail safe operation. Do me a favor and, using the manual up/down function run each window all the way down and all the way up three time each. Then try the auto down up.
if the first procedure does not work, try this. Run the widow half way down and stop, then manually raise the window all the way up AND hold the up switch in the up position for an additional five to ten seconds.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-30-18 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-29-18, 06:09 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

OK I'll try that. I'm afraid this car might have some demons hiding in it. The radio has been replaced and it looks like they hacked the wiring for that.
Old 01-29-18, 06:11 PM
VVTiBob

The windows work manually, but just for grins, please check fuse 24 and 25 which are in fuse block one, by battery in the engine compartment.
Old 01-29-18, 06:12 PM
VVTiBob

Wait, when did the radio job happen and when did the window/roof issues begin?
Old 01-29-18, 06:14 PM
VVTiBob

YIKES!!!! have you check the cable seating on the air conditioning sub panel where the roof switch is located?
Old 01-29-18, 06:15 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

No idea on the radio, it was before I acquired the car. The top and windows worked great for the 2 years I've had it, just recently I've had the problem.

I'll change out both fuses.
Old 01-29-18, 06:41 PM
VVTiBob

I really don’t think it’s a fuse issue because the window work manually. Which also eliminates the regulators. I’m concerned about the DOOR ECU.

Your description of non function auto up/down along with no key fob or mechanical door lock window movement is what’s call “fail-safe function”. BTW make sure when you move the window manually make sure it goes ALL-THE-WAY up and down.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 01-29-18 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-29-18, 06:47 PM
motojim21
Driver School Candidate

OK I'll try that tomorrow and report back. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: Top not working