SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Speaker install completed

Old 01-05-18, 04:26 PM
HDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Speaker install completed

I know there's been a lot of discussion about speaker installations in the SC 430, so I thought I'd add to it to let other's now what's possible at least in regards to sizing and depth. Everything I researched, including speaking with Crutchfield, said that my below gear wouldn't fit. But, based on my own research, I felt that I could make it work. Nothing was a simple drop in, but with adapters/spacers, and redrilling of the factory subwoofer mounting holes, and creative thinking I was able to complete it. I actually mounted the tweeter in place of the factory tweeter by removing the factory mount and stuffing the space with foam padding. Although it's not screwed down, the padding keeps it safely in place and free from rattle. I attached a total of 6 pictures of the front door speakers installed, but I forgot to take photographs of the subwoofer and rear speakers.

Other members answered some questions I had before I started my install, and I thank you folks for the help. All of my installed gear is below.

Front door speakers: Infinity Kappa 90CSX 2-way 6x9 components with optional Infinity Kappa 20 MX to turn it into a 3-way component system.
ABS 1/2" spacers for the above door speakers
Rear speakers: Focal ISC 100 4 inch coaxials with spacer/adapter
Factory subwoofer location: Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 8" shallow-mount/free-air subwoofer
Amplifier: JBL-7535 5-channel amplifier with Bluetooth capability (Able to stream music and calls directly to the amplifier)
Factory Integration: Audio Control LC7i 6-channel factory integration unit (Allowed me to convert speaker inputs (high level) into RCA inputs).
Attached Thumbnails Speaker install completed-1.jpg   Speaker install completed-2.jpg   Speaker install completed-3.jpg   Speaker install completed-4.jpg   Speaker install completed-5.jpg  

Speaker install completed-6.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
MattInLex (04-22-20)
Old 01-06-18, 05:31 AM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Looks good! - thanks for sharing your project.
Old 01-06-18, 10:32 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 852 Likes on 685 Posts

Rock and roll!

looking good!!!
Old 01-06-18, 11:57 AM
Neil E
Pit Crew

Received 81 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice work, very well done indeed.

I recently installed some Focal KX3 components in the front and tried for a long time to hide the mids behind the original grills but they just proved too big. It looks okay but not as neat as yours.

Did you use any additional sound deadening material?
Old 01-06-18, 02:19 PM
HDog
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone. I did not use any deadening material. The mids were a little tricky to fit behind the original mount. I could only get one screw in and had to zip tie the other. Of course it’s also held against the door as well. Luckily these mids are enclosed so this style of mounting doesn’t effect the sound at all.
Old 01-06-18, 02:25 PM
HDog
Driver School Candidate

And to add one more thing, I changed from 1/2” spacers to 1/4” spacers in he front door. The 1/2” ended up being a little to high so the bottom surrounded bounced into the door panel. So I dropped it back to 1/4” and shaved the window stopper about 3/8 of an inch. Now it fits perfectly depth wise.