Percy, dynaudio install help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-02, 04:28 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Percy, dynaudio install help!!!

Hey guys,

For those who have done the installation, you know the whole back part of the speaker baffle thing, do you also add that on? or do you just use the MDF self made baffle and nothing else? THanks. Also, for the tweeters, do you juse solder the speaker wire to the copper looking really thin looking wires? Thanks
Old 01-01-02, 05:02 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

since percy probably answered this many times...I'll help him out.

gsnav, i'm not sure what you mean back part of the speaker baffle thing....If you're referring to the "black enclosure" that's holding the 4 inchers then yes...you take all that out. Use that to trace out a figure on your MDF (and remember to mark the factory screw location)....then cut out some spacers rings... you'll need this because the magnet will be too deep and the windows will hit it if it's rolled down. Screw your spacer rings onto the baffle, and then put your speakers on the rings and then mount the baffle...I don't have my speakers enclosed but I do have something called deflex panels (to absorb standing waves) and raamat (something like dynamat) right behind the speaker on the inside of the door.

I can't answer the tweeter question since I mounted it differently than Percy did (I really suck at soldering and I crushed the little thin wires already by accident although it didn't break) . I just cut a hole in the pillar and mounted my tweeter there.

hope this helps
Old 01-01-02, 05:21 PM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

amlin,

You hit everything on the head! Geez...you're getting good!

GSnav,

Yes, you have to solder the wires CAREFULLY to the tweeter tinsel leads. Be sure to have some sort of strain relief for the speaker wire so it doesn't tear out the tinsel leads for the tweeter!

Percy
Old 01-01-02, 07:14 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Here's the ting right now, i'm using the 5/8" MDF and so far, the only thing that is being rubbed against is one of the bottom legs of the pig ( the baffle ) . So i'm going to just sand it down and it will work. Plus, for the spacers, where can you get spacers, or can i just use rubber and cut a piece to better fit, the 5/8" fits without rubbing the window, beucase i just tried it. But for better feeling i'm going to add some spacer thingy, where do i purchase these spacers? Thanks.

For the tweeter, so to support the wire soldering, should i then just twist, then solder, then wrap it with electrical wire? That should work right?
Old 01-01-02, 07:42 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gsnav... is it possible to make the spacers from the MDF?

....then cut out some spacers rings...

i dont realy know what MDF is but it sounds like u have to cut ur own spaces from exces MDF...
Old 01-01-02, 07:44 PM
Percy

gsnav,

You can get the spacers from most audio shops. They're made by Metra and they're probably about 5 bucks per pair.

As for the tweeters, you want to support the main wire (heavier one) that's going to be connected to the tweeter. That way the weight of the larger wire doesn't pull anything out. As for the soldering, I've found a better method than twisting the two around each other. You simply spread the strands of the larger wire and then place the tinsel lead in them. Then compress the strands that were spread. This should hold onto them if you have enough support on the larger wire. Then solder. Less handling of the tinsel lead and it works great! You can put electrical tape or better yet, prep with heat shrink tubing before hooking the two wires up together.

Percy
Old 01-01-02, 08:11 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

Or you can cut out your own ring. You're really just cutting two circles. Check out the second picture from this link
http://photos.yahoo.com/assaults

Took me 5 minutes...Just seal between the baffle and the spacer with caulk if you feel it's not going to be airtight. Not really necessary but can't hurt either.

Speaking of caulk..this is pretty funny. I was doing my friend's system and we were trying to fit some mbquart tweeters to the stock (GMC Truck) location and tried to use caulk as an adhesive.
Apparently he didn't wait long enough for the caulk to dry and harden and the tweeter fell out of place and he yelled across the garage.
"Hey Andrew! *****, my caulk is not hard yet. It might be too cold!"
Get it?
Hope the neighbors didn't hear us...
Old 01-01-02, 08:34 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

What do we do about the cross over? Where is there space to put it? Thanks.
Old 01-01-02, 08:39 PM
Percy

GSnav,

Never did it with a Dyn crossover. Possible that there's some space inside INNER part of the door? (Make sure window doesn't hit)

Percy
Old 01-01-02, 08:46 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Then what cross overs do you need? I need them for my tweeters right? Any cheap cross overs that i can buy easily or else i'm gonna have to not use one
Old 01-01-02, 09:53 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

did you buy the system 240? it should come with crossovers...Regardless...you'll still need crossovers for your tweets otherwise you'll blow it...
Old 01-01-02, 10:29 PM
gsnav
Lead Lap

Yeah, i do have crossovers that came with mkii240 but i have no space to put it? Or i'm not sure where?
Old 01-01-02, 11:16 PM
amlin423
Pole Position

it'll fit in the doors behind the baffle...no problem...i've done it before ....just put some double sided tape or something on the back of the x-overs to make sure they stay put ....roll down the windows first and try it out before you put your door panels on ...