SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Questions about C1246 & other codes

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 06:33 PM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Questions about C1246 & other codes

I recently purchased a 2003 SC and love the car. However, when we purchased it we knew it needed work. We have put a new starter, motor mount, valve cover gasket, timing belt/water pump. Next thing is to work on the codes that are on the car. VSC light, check engine light is on. It has 152K miles on it.

Here are the codes that are currently showing:

C1223, C1246, C1201 - ABS Control, Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor, Engine Control
P0441, P0442, P0446 - Evap Purge, Evap Small Leak, Evap Vent Control

Thanks to this forum, we did correct the C1336 code - Zero Callibration by performing the paper clip trick. That worked and I had no codes or lights for a while!

The P codes came on after I had some work done so I'm hoping that's a hose that came loose. (Had the cabin & engine filters changed when the mounts were changed). Worse case it's an oxygen sensor. Gas cap was replaced by previous owner and I always make sure it's tight.

The biggest code is the C1246 - that is pricey.
My questions really come from this code and any advice you can give.
My CEL & VSC are on. My ABS light comes on occasionally. I may go an entire drive without it coming on at all and then some times it will come on when I'm at a stop light. Then it goes off. My braking is normal. No issues with braking at all. The brake pedal feels secure, it doesn't sink to the floor. There are not any leaks that I can see on the garage floor. Brake fluid is good (just had an oil change today and it was fine). I did have the brake solenoid replaced back in Feb because the car would not shift out of park. But no issues since then as far as shifting out of park or even braking.

Any advice before I take it in to my mechanic? I usually go to AAA as we are members and there is a branch 2 miles from me.
Thanks!
Old 07-06-17, 08:04 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by ad5050
I recently purchased a 2003 SC and love the car. However, when we purchased it we knew it needed work. We have put a new starter, motor mount, valve cover gasket, timing belt/water pump. Next thing is to work on the codes that are on the car. VSC light, check engine light is on. It has 152K miles on it.

Here are the codes that are currently showing:

C1223, C1246, C1201 - ABS Control, Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor, Engine Control

Thanks to this forum, we did correct the C1336 code - Zero Callibration by performing the paper clip trick. That worked and I had no codes or lights for a while!

The P codes came on after I had some work done so I'm hoping that's a hose that came loose. (Had the cabin & engine filters changed when the mounts were changed). Worse case it's an oxygen sensor. Gas cap was replaced by previous owner and I always make sure it's tight.

The biggest code is the C1246 - that is pricey.
My questions really come from this code and any advice you can give.
My CEL & VSC are on. My ABS light comes on occasionally. I may go an entire drive without it coming on at all and then some times it will come on when I'm at a stop light. Then it goes off. My braking is normal. No issues with braking at all. The brake pedal feels secure, it doesn't sink to the floor. There are not any leaks that I can see on the garage floor. Brake fluid is good (just had an oil change today and it was fine). I did have the brake solenoid replaced back in Feb because the car would not shift out of park. But no issues since then as far as shifting out of park or even braking.

Any advice before I take it in to my mechanic? I usually go to AAA as we are members and there is a branch 2 miles from me.
Thanks!
I am going to say you need to located the broken/cracked vacuum hoses that are causing these codes. P0441, P0442, P0446. $5 fix. Just do a search and you will find plenty of info with pics. Many of us have had this problem.

not so sure about the other codes but I had a leaking MC when I purchased my SC...lucky for me and some Devine intervention when I located a wrecked junkyard 2005 SC430 with 70k miles and they charged me $100 for the entire MC unit!

here is a link to read about the other codes...
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...s-problem.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 07-06-17 at 08:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ad5050 (07-10-17)
Old 07-06-17, 08:41 PM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. The link you gave my husband said that will be the first thing he will try.

Hubby can do some repairs on cars, but our problem is time to work on the car. We have always had a Honda vehicle - this is our non-Honda car in our 18 yr marriage! It's a bit of a project car since it has needed so much work.

If I do need a MC and I purchase a used MC, guessing I'll need to find a local shop that would install a part I purchased. We usually use AAA just because there is a shop 2 miles from our house.

Has anyone had any luck checking the wheel sensors?

I guess since the light comes on and off (and the last two times I've driven the car the ABS light has not come on) and the brakes are not soft, having a hard time believing it's the MC. Husband has driven the car as well and the brakes are actually touchy - our van's brakes are actually softer than the SC.
Again, thanks...just looking to try different options before taking it in. Will look at the brake light, maybe the wheel sensors.
Old 07-09-17, 10:04 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Take a look at this PDF https://www.purefjcruiser.com/docs/2007%20Toyota%20FJ%20Cruiser%20Repair%20Manual/Brake%20Control/Vehicle%20Stability%20Control%20System/0280018.pdf

It
is not for our car, but if you read through it, it says that if the car detects a shortage of brake fluid, it triggers at least two, maybe three, of those codes. (I didn't read the whole thing)

So you may be low on brake fluid, or your brake fluid sensor may be flakey (Or you may need a MC unit)

I hope the problem is that simple, but if it is not, at least you can rule one more thing out.
ad5050 (07-10-17)
Old 07-09-17, 11:18 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

.....also, if someone used the wrong diagnostic scanner on the vehicle, this could cause the CEL & VSC lights to be on
ad5050 (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 07:27 AM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

Thanks so much for some possible insights. Hoping to tackle this issue soon. Will keep you updated.
Old 06-03-18, 02:57 PM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

Default UPDATE to my thread

Hi all. I wanted to give an update.

I had these codes and had a Lexus independent shop take a look at these. It was actually my engine mounts that were allowing the hose to come off since everything wasn't securely in place. I replaced the engine mounts and no problems at all since.

C1223, C1246, C1201 - ABS Control, Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor, Engine Control - this code has only happened once this year and quickly went off. So for almost half a year I haven't had this light to come on at all. Not worrying about this until it becomes an issue.

Best thing is that I found a mechanic who works on Lexus/Toyotas that I like.
So luckily, all lights are off. Last year at this time I had 152k miles and now I have almost 158k miles.
Old 06-03-18, 03:53 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi all. I wanted to give an update.

I had these codes and had a Lexus independent shop take a look at these. It was actually my engine mounts that were allowing the hose to come off since everything wasn't securely in place. I replaced the engine mounts and no problems at all since.

C1223, C1246, C1201 - ABS Control, Master Cylinder Pressure Sensor, Engine Control - this code has only happened once this year and quickly went off. So for almost half a year I haven't had this light to come on at all. Not worrying about this until it becomes an issue.

Best thing is that I found a mechanic who works on Lexus/Toyotas that I like.
So luckily, all lights are off. Last year at this time I had 152k miles and now I have almost 158k miles.
.......good to know that you have worked out the issues & they weren't as bad as you may have thought......I definitely need to change my motor/trans mount
ad5050 (06-04-18)
Old 06-03-18, 04:23 PM
MedicalDoc
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Congrats on the wonderful results!
ad5050 (06-04-18)
Old 06-03-18, 05:34 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

Yeah, the motor mounts plague a number of folks. I think that mine are starting to show signs and so I see a motor/transmission mount replacement in my near future.
ad5050 (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 04:47 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

. I replaced the engine mounts and no problems at all since..
I get the check engine light from that hose coming off about every month or so. My engine mounts definitely need replacing but I'm holding out and just sticking the hose back on. I never pulled the code or I could have helped with this thread.

Can I ask what you were charged for the engine mount replacement?
Old 06-04-18, 08:15 AM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the Atlanta area, and for the Right Side Motor Mount was $345 Labor and $107 for the actual part. Looking back through my notes, the left one and the trans were done at the same time - wished I would have replaced the right side while the 3 mounts were replaced but had other work done as well.

We got the car at a great deal but it's taken a bit to get the car back in good condition. Starter, engine mounts, valve cover gasket, serpentine belt, timing belt, water pump. Top (so far, knock on wood) hasn't had a problem at all.
JohnnyCake (06-04-18)
Old 06-04-18, 08:14 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

I'm in the Atlanta area, and for the Right Side Motor Mount was $345 Labor and $107 for the actual part. Looking back through my notes, the left one and the trans were done at the same time - wished I would have replaced the right side while the 3 mounts were replaced but had other work done as well.

We got the car at a great deal but it's taken a bit to get the car back in good condition. Starter, engine mounts, valve cover gasket, serpentine belt, timing belt, water pump. Top (so far, knock on wood) hasn't had a problem at all.
i had my motormounts replaced at about 65k, very common on these cars. Also had the transmission mount replaced but that was a waste of time and money for me because it looked just fine.
Old 10-16-20, 05:43 PM
RCBGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you share the info of the individual who worked on your car?

I live in Alpharetta, can you please share the contact info of the tech who worked on your car? I have the C1246 & C1223 code but everything works fine and my brakes have no issues :-(
Old 10-17-20, 07:44 AM
ad5050
Driver School Candidate

RCBGT
It was LexTechs in Johns Creek (On State Bridge Road). They have been wonderful to work with. I highly recommend them. Please give them a try!
RCBGT (10-17-20)