SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

FrankenLex needs a 8" 2ohm sub

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 04:24 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking FrankenLex needs a 8" 2ohm sub

The beast continues. Dropped about 50lbs so far. Yanked the factory GPS and amp (both had power, but it's such a mess in there I didn't bother testing. They are for sale, though, DM if interested) and got a small, very light Bose 2ohm 100w RMS amp. The factory sub is shredded, but if you wanna rebuild it, feel free to come and pick it up (Los Angeles area) free.

Anyone know of a 2ohm sub that fits without having to modify the stock location? I'm yanking the rear seat (also for sale as soon as someone wants to come get it) so I only have to worry about depth.

thank you!
Old 05-25-17, 05:20 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by DJHydrogen
The beast continues. Dropped about 50lbs so far. Yanked the factory GPS and amp (both had power, but it's such a mess in there I didn't bother testing. They are for sale, though, DM if interested) and got a small, very light Bose 2ohm 100w RMS amp. The factory sub is shredded, but if you wanna rebuild it, feel free to come and pick it up (Los Angeles area) free.

Anyone know of a 2ohm sub that fits without having to modify the stock location? I'm yanking the rear seat (also for sale as soon as someone wants to come get it) so I only have to worry about depth.

thank you!
Never saw or heard of a 2 ohm speaker of any kind. The stock is 16 ohm. Are you sure that 2 ohm is what you want?
The following users liked this post:
DJHydrogen (05-26-17)
Old 05-26-17, 12:54 PM
DJHydrogen
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default could also be DVC 4ohm...

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Never saw or heard of a 2 ohm speaker of any kind. The stock is 16 ohm. Are you sure that 2 ohm is what you want?
Not sure if you saw, but I've already removed the factory amps. I'm running straight to normal 4ohm speakers in the doors, with a crossover feeding the mids and tweeters. Most vehicles run 4ohm.

I have a VERY light 2ohm amp made by Bose, common in Infiniti vehicles (it was from my Infi SUV originally) ... a lower number for ohms means higher draw, and with quality components, you get more power from a smaller amp.

I will run the sub out to from the Kenwood head unit to this 2ohm amp, and then to an 8" sub in the stock location... I just need to find an 8" 2ohm sub that FITS, since the stock location is rather shallow, and I really want to maintain as much structural rigidity as possible, so I don't want to cut sheet metal if I can help it.

To be fair it could also be dual voice coil, 4ohm, and go in parallel as in this video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT

again, the big issue is the depth of the sub itself.
Old 05-26-17, 10:31 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....hey DJ, you might consider adding a board/brace (spacer) to the inside of the car, since you're taking out the back seat, this will allow more room for the magnet inside the trunk. I looked into doing this option when I was toying around with woofer ideas