SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Resonator delete. Done.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 11:31 PM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 SC430 Resonator delete. Done.

Left pipe about to be welded to match the right
C3 Exhaust Systems in LA at work.
Done
Closeup

Minor change but love it.
Alrighty then. Resonator deleted, and the rumble is subtle but happy with the results. Pics and sound clips for your enjoyment.

-Difference is a lower rumble between 1200-1800rpm
-Top down: no drone, just a nice low rumble at low rom. Past 2000, it's barely noticeable
-Top up: Certainly no annoying drone. Quiet, but again , the rumble at the low end whixh quickly disappears.

May go Borla, but may just stay with it. Anyone recommend a different exhaust system ? Looking for the quietest deepest rumble. Borla seems to fit the bill?
The following users liked this post:
1trkpny (07-12-17)
Old 05-10-17, 03:38 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by hankinla
-Top down: no drone, just a nice low rumble at low rom. Past 2000, it's barely noticeable
-Top up: Certainly no annoying drone. Quiet, but again , the rumble at the low end whixh quickly disappears.

May go Borla, but may just stay with it. Anyone recommend a different exhaust system ? Looking for the quietest deepest rumble. Borla seems to fit the bill?
sounds really good!
i did the resonator delete too and love the sound.
Old 05-10-17, 10:11 AM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Default Off to muffler shop some time this week

Muffler guy will allow me to test several types. Borla, magbaflow, etc. let me know if there's any other brands . Going for deepest rumble , lowest drone (I know). Well aware of the threads on this so intent is just to share and see if anyone has had any recent or new experiences with their SCs sounds! Thanks Guys hope we can get together soon. I'm in West LA., and yes , have seen the recent Meetup threads, etc.
Message me , if anyone's in the area. Down for quick morning coffee and conversation. Doesn't need to be major gathering for me. But also open to it
Old 05-12-17, 07:04 AM
Chaditotx
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds beautiful!
Old 05-12-17, 10:06 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Muffler guy will allow me to test several types. Borla, magbaflow, etc. let me know if there's any other brands . Going for deepest rumble , lowest drone (I know). Well aware of the threads on this so intent is just to share and see if anyone has had any recent or new experiences with their SCs sounds! Thanks Guys hope we can get together soon. I'm in West LA., and yes , have seen the recent Meetup threads, etc.
Message me , if anyone's in the area. Down for quick morning coffee and conversation. Doesn't need to be major gathering for me. But also open to it
Really excited to see your results on this and possibly follow suit.I was pricing the Margnaflow kit but I really don't like how the pipes hang so low under the car. Would definitely scrape the ground if I decide to lower the car on coilovers in the future. Plus looks kinda funny from the rear, in my opinion. The Borla single mufflers look like a great fit and great sound from what I'm told. Saw the Magnaflow universal straight though mufflers, which had great reviews and would look awesome. Also thought about glasspacks. Never heard them on the SC, but when I was in high school glass packs were the hottness on all my friends muscle cars and trucks. Anyway, let us know your results and what you decide to go with.

Oh and maybe since your shop is being so kind, you could test fit with and X pipe and H pipe and see what gives you better results, and the shops opinions on both. I'm debating which way to go. As I'm sure with everyone here, my priorities would be maintain/increase horsepower, avoid losing low end torque, and an exhilarating high performance sound (I hate that the rice burner drone with all the grit in my soul).

Last edited by ShawnOk; 05-12-17 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-13-17, 06:40 AM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Default Tbd

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Really excited to see your results on this and possibly follow suit.I was pricing the Margnaflow kit but I really don't like how the pipes hang so low under the car. Would definitely scrape the ground if I decide to lower the car on coilovers in the future. Plus looks kinda funny from the rear, in my opinion. The Borla single mufflers look like a great fit and great sound from what I'm told. Saw the Magnaflow universal straight though mufflers, which had great reviews and would look awesome. Also thought about glasspacks. Never heard them on the SC, but when I was in high school glass packs were the hottness on all my friends muscle cars and trucks. Anyway, let us know your results and what you decide to go with.

Oh and maybe since your shop is being so kind, you could test fit with and X pipe and H pipe and see what gives you better results, and the shops opinions on both. I'm debating which way to go. As I'm sure with everyone here, my priorities would be maintain/increase horsepower, avoid losing low end torque, and an exhilarating high performance sound (I hate that the rice burner drone with all the grit in my soul).
Hey guys, unfortunately hectic week for me last week and not truly convinced the American mufflers are the way to go for me. Will keep you posted on this one. In the meanwhile, ordering the Cusco strut bar, as it looks the biz and in sure it doesn't hurt to have this sort of brace.
Old 05-18-17, 09:24 AM
taisho
Rookie

Left pipe about to be welded to match the right
C3 Exhaust Systems in LA at work.
Done
Closeup

Minor change but love it.
Alrighty then. Resonator deleted, and the rumble is subtle but happy with the results. Pics and sound clips for your enjoyment.

Here's my car with universal borla mufflers and no rezzy's. It purrs up to around 1500 rpm and is smooth after that. There is no drone noise. I also have PPE headers installed as well, but they're not in the clip. I still havnt had a chance to upload Even with the PPE headers, it's still relatively quiet. Only at WOT does it get louder.

I wanted my car to sound like this
but I believe he's running a 2.5" setup with different Borla mufflers.
The Ikon (03-06-22)
Old 05-18-17, 10:30 PM
hankinla
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice..

Originally Posted by taisho
Here's my car with universal borla mufflers and no rezzy's. It purrs up to around 1500 rpm and is smooth after that. There is no drone noise. I also have PPE headers installed as well, but they're not in the clip. I still havnt had a chance to upload Even with the PPE headers, it's still relatively quiet. Only at WOT does it get louder.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajh-VRqCJMA

I wanted my car to sound like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auPjm8Y_07I but I believe he's running a 2.5" setup with different Borla mufflers.
Thanks Taisho, that's a nice growl you've got and yes I've seen your videos and that custom Borla you posted, I believe he is out of Hawaii. Sounds great. I'm looking at a couple setups and welcome any feedback from anyone experienced or who can offer feedback from past experience.

1. This megan bolt on exhaust is interesting but it says "one of the crossbars needs to be removed to bolt this exhaust LM. Can anyone validate this is true?
Would love to hear from anyone who has purchased this system. Which crossbar would need to be removed per the note in the ad above
Old 05-25-17, 04:34 PM
taisho
Rookie

Talking

Thanks Taisho, that's a nice growl you've got and yes I've seen your videos and that custom Borla you posted, I believe he is out of Hawaii. Sounds great. I'm looking at a couple setups and welcome any feedback from anyone experienced or who can offer feedback from past experience.

1. This megan bolt on exhaust is interesting but it says "one of the crossbars needs to be removed to bolt this exhaust LM. Can anyone validate this is true?
Would love to hear from anyone who has purchased this system. Which crossbar would need to be removed per the note in the ad above
You most likely will have to remove the crossbar if it's in the description. I'm not sure if it's an integral part to the vehicle. You also may need to find a shop who would be willing to do that for your car as well.
Also, if you plan to buy the Megan Racing axle back exhaust or PPE headers you're definitely going to have to find a shop and pay a little extra $$ to get it pass SMOG. California has the most stringent CARB laws. For me, one modification led to another. I deleted the resonators...was happy for a month and then I bought the universal Borla mufflers. Sounded great, but I wanted that V8 growl so I opted to purchase the PPE headers. The first shop asked me if the PPE headers had a serial number, which it did not. BUT, luckily I have a buddy who knows somebody who passed my car.

I would suggest going to an Asian-owned muffler shop. They tend to be a little more lax.
Old 07-12-17, 06:18 PM
ned1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2002 3rd cat & resonator delete complete.

After some research re: why and usefulness or rather uselessness of 3rd cat! Had all stock piping dwn flow of sensors, 3rd cat, resonators, crimped 2" removed and 2-1/4 pipe installed to stock muffler flange.
Not loud or cruising drone. Has a nice semi deep gurgle rumble.. not at all like a 6cyl, still a sleeper!
also with transmission & air box mod car sounds alive.
Side by side comparison w friends 05 sc was the most notesble. When tromped on it can breath better and it sounds line a V8

Last edited by ned1; 07-12-17 at 06:44 PM.
JMal (11-10-18)
Old 07-15-17, 04:40 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ned1
After some research re: why and usefulness or rather uselessness of 3rd cat! Had all stock piping dwn flow of sensors, 3rd cat, resonators, crimped 2" removed and 2-1/4 pipe installed to stock muffler flange.
Not loud or cruising drone. Has a nice semi deep gurgle rumble.. not at all like a 6cyl, still a sleeper!
also with transmission & air box mod car sounds alive.
Side by side comparison w friends 05 sc was the most notesble. When tromped on it can breath better and it sounds line a V8
i did the same thing, removed 3rd cat and resonators. The car sounds good now.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
Bkerjim (08-25-17), JMal (11-10-18)
Old 08-11-18, 01:52 PM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did mine today. Comments about the sound being just right if you don't want a aftermarket exhaust. I compare the sound to my wife's RC F when it is in ECO mode. You know there's a V8 in there.
JMal (11-10-18)
Old 08-13-18, 02:50 PM
alex2016g
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Read this thread yesterday, and then a couple other on the subject and did my resonator delete today. So far I am very happy with it. My findings:- While ideling warmed up ( revs below 1000) there is no difference in sound
- 1000-2000rpm just as you put your foot down you hear a nice low rumble that reminds you there is a V8 there. Not too much but it is definitly there
- 2000 and above as you rev the sound is definitly more aggressive and a 10-15% louder

and here is a picture of my resonators cut out.

Sc430 resonator delete

Last edited by alex2016g; 08-13-18 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 07:32 AM
njsteve
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I added the Injen air intake yesterday. Great upgrade. If you look at OEM Airbox you can see why it is so quite. Have the S2000 tips on order than my exhaust system should be completed.

​​​​​​

Old 08-17-18, 07:17 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by njsteve
I added the Injen air intake yesterday. Great upgrade. If you look at OEM Airbox you can see why it is so quite. Have the S2000 tips on order than my exhaust system should be completed.
​​​​​​
We would like to see what you are doing. Please post up some pics.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 Resonator delete. Done.