SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

02 SC430 Convertible Flap Not Raising, Causing Problems, Need Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 01:35 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Catdaddy
I meant no offense, I guess I'm just trying to exhaust all options before resorting to major repair. Will resetting that wire in place (without tape) fix it. It sounds like maybe the tape was the cause of the repair defect, as it is not as flexible.
Hey CatDaddy I wanted to apologize if you thought I meant you with my comment. I wasn't. I meant someone else.

I wish I could offer more help with the package tray motor, but I have never worked with one before.

I do know if you take the carpet out in the back, you can see how the cables are run. You can watch this video on how to get the carpet out of your trunk. Skip to right about the 3 minute mark
Old 05-13-17, 02:43 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DashingDar
Hey Catdaddy

Click here => https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-close-2.html

They had the same question about the package tray motor cable being off track, however the news was not good for them because the resolution was not as simple as they had hoped

If that is the case with you, click here for more detail => https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/848956-convertible-top-problems-5.html

and
look at post 67. The PDF's will tell you a whole lot about the Package Tray Motor.
Ok, the actual procedure for closing the roof manually gave me the solution! It was the side boards that were the issue (as seen on diagram 74). After the main board would raise, the sliding board wouldn't be able to retract because the side boards wouldn't fold in. Unfortunately, the only way to solve this issue is to disconnect the side boards and have them permanently angled in, as to not obstruct the roof from raising and tell the SC that they are out of the way (with internal sensors). If these side boards don't retract, the sliding board cannot move down as there is a sequence the car must go through. I have disabled both side flaps and there have been no problems since. For a 15 y/o car, I'll take it.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-13-17 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Adding source information.
Old 05-14-17, 07:56 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Catdaddy
Ok, the actual procedure for closing the roof manually gave me the solution! It was the side boards that were the issue (as seen on diagram 74). After the main board would raise, the sliding board wouldn't be able to retract because the side boards wouldn't fold in. Unfortunately, the only way to solve this issue is to disconnect the side boards and have them permanently angled in, as to not obstruct the roof from raising and tell the SC that they are out of the way (with internal sensors). If these side boards don't retract, the sliding board cannot move down as there is a sequence the car must go through. I have disabled both side flaps and there have been no problems since. For a 15 y/o car, I'll take it.
too bad you cannot correct the issue with the sideboards not retracting.
Old 05-15-17, 10:22 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Do both side boards not work, or does only one not work?
Old 05-16-17, 02:40 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Do both side boards not work, or does only one not work?
The driver's side one actually broke completely off when I was at the dealership this weekend. I then disconnected the passenger side and just leave them both turned inward. Now the roof goes up and down with no problems! I think after 15 years, those pivots just needed lubrication, but honestly, if the roof works, I'm more than fine with it/better than paying the $2500+ they said it would cost to replace.
Old 05-16-17, 03:35 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...if you get a chance, could you post a pic of the broke part(s).....this might be an issue/solution that can help others
Old 05-16-17, 05:02 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texsexlex
...if you get a chance, could you post a pic of the broke part(s).....this might be an issue/solution that can help others
I definitely will! I'll be heading out on the road tomorrow and will take pics when I retract the top.
Old 05-17-17, 11:10 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

If you do a search, there was someone else with the same problem as you. His metal bracket that holds the side board broke in two. I don't remember what I was searching for when I saw it, nor the solution, but I know it is on here somewhere.
Old 06-22-17, 09:34 AM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

This is way overdue, but it turned out the side flaps were not an issue, but actually helped get out of the way. As many may know, the electronics in this car (at least for the roof) interact with a sort of "brain" and there are about 20 processes that must go right, in order or the brain tells the whole system to stop.

While the side flaps are now permanently out of the way as the hinges are aimed all the way inward, the REAL issue turned out to be that the sensors on both the right and left side of the main flap were malfunctioning and registering an obstruction when there was none. My mechanic/friend told me that auto manufacturers will install smaller versions of the sensors which are more susceptible to wear in the future.

Until I get those replaced, the only solution is to have someone put some vertical pressure on the main flap while the system goes through it's motions. So far, I have had 100% success with this method and the motor works just fine, you just have to get the flap started and the car does the rest (hope this makes sense). Anyways, since I normally drive solo, my solution to the extra hands is using the rubber end of a golf club grip to push the retracting button while I use my other hand to guide the main flap. It still works mostly automatically, so I'm content with this method even though it looks pretty ridiculous.

Anyways, this is why I didn't post the pictures of the side flaps, as those were not the real issue.
Old 06-22-17, 08:48 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...when you say "main flap" are you talking about the "package tray " behind the headrest ?....also, could you take a pic(s) of the sensors & their location
Old 07-28-17, 05:17 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Until I can bring my car to the shop next month for a day or two overnight, the semi-manual way is still necessary to raise the package tray and continue the sequence. In continuation of this problem, now the package tray has lifted like normal, but when the roof didn't release and raise (from the top-down position), I decided to hit the open button to return the trunk and tray to normal and reset the sequence.

In doing this the tray did not return to it's original position but the trunk did and now there is no red light and no reaction from the operational button. The trunk doesn't release from the front (the very first step) to start the closing sequence and I am wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to manually raise just from the front of the trunk all the way up, as this should also tell the car that the sequence is restarted.

The normal way of manually raising the trunk will not help this problem as the mechanisms on the sides which raise the front and back together need to stay in place under normal operation.
Old 07-31-17, 10:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

It looks like your convertible is out of sequence. What I would do is disconnect the battery and get the top computer to try and figure out what is wrong.

I am not confident that will work. If it does not, I would look in your manual and follow the instructions to manually lower your top. Once it is lowered and every switch and trunk piece is set correctly, I would disconnect your battery and reconnect it to reset the computer. Then I would try the button to see if it works.

There was a TSB regarding what to do if you stop the top sequence in the middle of operation https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...istake-fix.pdf but I don't think it applies to your situation.
Old 07-31-17, 12:32 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

It looks like your convertible is out of sequence. What I would do is disconnect the battery and get the top computer to try and figure out what is wrong.

I am not confident that will work. If it does not, I would look in your manual and follow the instructions to manually lower your top. Once it is lowered and every switch and trunk piece is set correctly, I would disconnect your battery and reconnect it to reset the computer. Then I would try the button to see if it works.

There was a TSB regarding what to do if you stop the top sequence in the middle of operation https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...istake-fix.pdf but I don't think it applies to your situation.
Yeah, that TSB won't help my situation as the luggage door/trunk is operational in that scenario, and the roof is not locked in place. My guy at the shop sent me the manual package tray operation guide in addition to operating the trunk manually (which would probably solve this issue temporarily), but I'm not really into tearing my whole car apart to get to it. It's amazing how complicated they made it to reach the package tray manual operation, taking the rear seats out, side panels, detaching the seat belt, and on and on!

Instead, the weather's going to be nice for the next couple of days so, I'll take it to the shop as-is and finally get it completely taken care of and provide the final diagnosis. I pray this entire thread doesn't happen to anyone else on this forum, but if so, hopefully there will be a final solution in the next 48-72 hours (leaving it overnight for a day or 2)!
Old 08-02-17, 05:54 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Alright, so, after thanking those who initially spoke up, I would like to provide the final diagnosis as this car has literally never worked better (except when I initially bought it). While the motor was A problem, it wasn't the ONLY problem. There are 2 micro-switches/sensors on both sides of the package tray that were both loose and given wrong information due to the... package tray motor. All 3 were replaced and there are no more problems. This 110K mile beaut is now problem-free for the foreseeable future (thank god).

For further clarification, the problem wasn't that the motor stopped working completely, but that it would only raise the package tray about 95-98% of the way, therefore, not telling the main computer to go on to the next step of releasing the roof (and/or trunk/luggage door if opening). This has solved everything and it is extremely smooth, just didn't want to exhaust literally all options before replacing just a motor. After 15 years, you just gotta assume some parts will start to give due to time, but thankfully since it's a Lexus, the engine isn't one of those parts!

Cheers, hope this thread helps anyone who encounters this unfortunate series of events, happy cruising!