SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

02 SC430 Convertible Flap Not Raising, Causing Problems, Need Fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-17, 04:54 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 02 SC430 Convertible Flap Not Raising, Causing Problems, Need Fix *FIXED*

Hi All,

I have been looking through many threads on this forum, but none that I could find had this exact issue. So, as everyone who owns an SC knows, when you convert your top, the top detaches and when it is about to into the trunk compartment, there is a flap that is supposed to raise to provide the necessary room for the roof to fit.

On occasion, and it seems to be happening even more lately, the flap will not come up and the roof will just try to force its way down with no success, running/forcing the motor the whole time. No damage is done on the outside, but obviously, I don't want to destroy the motor internally. The weird thing is that this doesn't always happen. I have to turn off and on my car to reset the process a couple times until it decides to cooperate and go back up.

Basically, nothing like this would happen if the flap worked every time and I have no idea what is causing it not to flip up at random times. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially with the warm summer months coming up!

Last edited by Catdaddy; 06-22-17 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-20-17, 10:59 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....so when you say "flap"....are you talking about the tray behind the headrest ?
Old 04-21-17, 05:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

A picture or 2 would help us help with your issue.
Old 04-21-17, 07:00 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by Catdaddy
Hi All,

I have been looking through many threads on this forum, but none that I could find had this exact issue. So, as everyone who owns an SC knows, when you convert your top, the top detaches and when it is about to into the trunk compartment, there is a flap that is supposed to raise to provide the necessary room for the roof to fit.

On occasion, and it seems to be happening even more lately, the flap will not come up and the roof will just try to force its way down with no success, running/forcing the motor the whole time. No damage is done on the outside, but obviously, I don't want to destroy the motor internally. The weird thing is that this doesn't always happen. I have to turn off and on my car to reset the process a couple times until it decides to cooperate and go back up.

Basically, nothing like this would happen if the flap worked every time and I have no idea what is causing it not to flip up at random times. Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially with the warm summer months coming up!
you should read Lexzilla's thread...he is dealing with a similar issue.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-problems.html
Old 04-23-17, 11:07 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi All,

Sounds like the package tray motor to me.
The following users liked this post:
Catdaddy (08-02-17)
Old 04-24-17, 07:56 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Sorry for the late response, It's been raining non-stop down here for the past several days and I couldn't drop the top to take a picture until today (below). To reiterate, it has been working 75% of the time, I'm assuming there is something that needs to be lubricated or there's a sensor that's out of place or loose? Anyone know where to look or know if there may be some dangling wires that aren't rotating properly?

Old 04-24-17, 09:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...it might be the package tray motor, it's possible that it has a stripped gear & may not be making contact all the time
Catdaddy (08-02-17)
Old 04-25-17, 03:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Sorry for the late response, It's been raining non-stop down here for the past several days and I couldn't drop the top to take a picture until today (below). To reiterate, it has been working 75% of the time, I'm assuming there is something that needs to be lubricated or there's a sensor that's out of place or loose? Anyone know where to look or know if there may be some dangling wires that aren't rotating properly?
This top is very complex and would first ask you if it was you or someone else who had the rear seat headrest taken apart?

Also, did you look at the thread link I posted earlier?
Old 04-27-17, 10:17 AM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bgw70
This top is very complex and would first ask you if it was you or someone else who had the rear seat headrest taken apart?

Also, did you look at the thread link I posted earlier?
To answer your first question, the full history of this car is that it started and stayed in Florida until the people I bought it from had it at about 86K miles (it now has 96K). It came as shown, didn't even realize there was anything missing and/or taken apart, could you elaborate on what is missing? Is it the wind screen you are referring to, between the headrests?

Thank you both for pointing to the motor, but when it does work, the motor on mine is quite strong, showing no signs of struggle. The problem has to be something internal either blocking the process or not identifying that the roof is to the point where that flap needs to raise.

Furthermore, I checked inside the trunk and found the following was out of place, could this be part of the issue, as it might be getting stuck since the wire is out of place?

The difference between the left and right clearly shows there is a harness that is guiding the wire away from interfering. However, without a schematic, I can't tell if this is even related to the component I'm mentioning.
Old 04-27-17, 10:55 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Hey Catdaddy

Click here => https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...t-close-2.html

They had the same question about the package tray motor cable being off track, however the news was not good for them because the resolution was not as simple as they had hoped

If that is the case with you, click here for more detail => https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/848956-convertible-top-problems-5.html

and
look at post 67. The PDF's will tell you a whole lot about the Package Tray Motor.
Catdaddy (04-27-17)
Old 04-27-17, 12:19 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My problem is similar to yours sometimes the top works sometimes it doesn't but I think my problem is the little motor with the grey top it makes a whirring sound like it's trying to engage But no one can tell me anything about this little motor
Old 04-27-17, 12:52 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA
My problem is similar to yours sometimes the top works sometimes it doesn't but I think my problem is the little motor with the grey top it makes a whirring sound like it's trying to engage But no one can tell me anything about this little motor
Now THAT sounds familiar. Sorry you're having this problem too. It's quite embarrassing when it happens because it's like flipping a coin or rolling the dice. Can anyone please elaborate on what may be causing the motor to go, but not perform?
Old 04-27-17, 03:57 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA
But no one can tell me anything about this little motor
REALLY? I'm pretty sure I told you it was the latch motor and how to fix it.
Old 04-27-17, 04:23 PM
Catdaddy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
REALLY? I'm pretty sure I told you it was the latch motor and how to fix it.
I meant no offense, I guess I'm just trying to exhaust all options before resorting to major repair. Will resetting that wire in place (without tape) fix it. It sounds like maybe the tape was the cause of the repair defect, as it is not as flexible.
Old 04-28-17, 07:47 AM
texsexlex
Racer

...I noticed on your 3rd pic, the cable doesn't seem to be lined up. I do know some members had this issue & the cable was the culprit. You may try searching this issue & see if it gives you any answers that you hadn't come across

Quick Reply: 02 SC430 Convertible Flap Not Raising, Causing Problems, Need Fix