SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help! 2002 sc430 roof problem?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 09:36 PM
Charliepl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2002 sc430 roof problem?!?

I have a 2002 sc430 that I bought with some problems, most of which are fixed now (largely thanks to some great posts here)

But, I still have trouble with the top. When I press open, it goes through all the proper motions until the roof is folded into the trunk - then it stops. It appears there is a broken plastic piece that tells the car the roof has fully retracted, so it may then proceed to lower package tray and close trunk. If I trigger this by hand, it proceeds as normal, but one can lose some fingers that way.

Anyone know what part this is? Or have a picture of it? I suspect it triggers some kind of limit switch or actuator and with any luck won't require some whole large assembly for one little broken piece of plastic. Everything works, except this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-28-17, 06:12 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by Charliepl
I have a 2002 sc430 that I bought with some problems, most of which are fixed now (largely thanks to some great posts here)

But, I still have trouble with the top. When I press open, it goes through all the proper motions until the roof is folded into the trunk - then it stops. It appears there is a broken plastic piece that tells the car the roof has fully retracted, so it may then proceed to lower package tray and close trunk. If I trigger this by hand, it proceeds as normal, but one can lose some fingers that way.

Anyone know what part this is? Or have a picture of it? I suspect it triggers some kind of limit switch or actuator and with any luck won't require some whole large assembly for one little broken piece of plastic. Everything works, except this.

Thanks in advance!
please post a pic of the piece you touch to make it complete the operation.
it sounds like a micro switch.
Old 09-28-17, 11:05 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

What I found most helpful was being able to talk to the SC's convertible top module. It will tell you which switch is open and then you can check the manual for a repair.

You can do this by going to the dealer, or purchasing a copy of Techstream off ebay.

Here are the error codes for the top.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Convertible Top Trouble Codes.pdf (49.0 KB, 1787 views)

Last edited by DshngDaryl; 09-28-17 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-28-17, 11:15 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Yes, pictures would be very helpful.

If I were to RANDOMLY guess, I think it may have to do with the latch. This latch has to lock in before the next step can proceed..

I ended up adjusting some little screws on the hinge, so the latch fully engaged. It ended up making my trunk unflush, but i remedied that by using body shims like the repair manual recommended.

Old 09-29-17, 10:16 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

After thinking about your problem, I bet it is the package tray that is causing you issues.

Read this post: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...eed-fix-2.html
Old 09-29-17, 02:11 PM
Charliepl
Driver School Candidate

Default Picture - what is this part?!

Thanks everyone for your input. I have tried to attach pictures of the broken plastic piece. In one picture I am lifting it up. If I press down to depress this plastic piece, I hear a click of a switch. If I do this after the top has been fully lowered and while someone presses the open button, package tray folds down and trunk closes to complete sequence. But I almost lose a hand. Once was enough to verify the problem, don't want to do that again.

Anyone know what this is? Or have an easy picture for me to see what the unbroken piece looks like? THANK YOU
Attached Thumbnails Help! 2002 sc430 roof problem?!?-img_20170929_140442.jpg   Help! 2002 sc430 roof problem?!?-img_20170929_140545.jpg  
Old 09-29-17, 02:27 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

Thanks everyone for your input. I have tried to attach pictures of the broken plastic piece. In one picture I am lifting it up. If I press down to depress this plastic piece, I hear a click of a switch. If I do this after the top has been fully lowered and while someone presses the open button, package tray folds down and trunk closes to complete sequence. But I almost lose a hand. Once was enough to verify the problem, don't want to do that again.

Anyone know what this is? Or have an easy picture for me to see what the unbroken piece looks like? THANK YOU
is the cable on there incorrectly
Old 09-29-17, 03:37 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

I think it is tied to the package tray. Here are the roof switches and their locations. My guess it is the slide roof limit switch.

I got the picture from this post that I think you will find helpful
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...l-the-way.html

See if you can make out the switch on this website. The parts are just roughly sketched, but usually you can tell which part it is:

https://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.c...474224050.html <-- explanation of what each part is
Old 09-29-17, 08:49 PM
Charliepl
Driver School Candidate

Bgw70, yes the cable seems to be on there correctly. The plastic bit I hold in the picture is broken.
DashingDar, I appreciate the pictures and yes I also suspect this part is the slide roof limit switch, but none of the parts on those sketches seem to look like what my broken piece is. I would think 84742B makes sense, but that image sure doesn't seem to look like the component I need, I would have expected some plastic end like I'm dealing with. Sure wish I had a working one or picture of it to compare to! Maybe I'll find one for sale to peek at, unless anyone on here can chime in with a photo from theirs

Thanks for the suggestions,
Old 09-30-17, 03:11 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Bgw70, yes the cable seems to be on there correctly. The plastic bit I hold in the picture is broken.
DashingDar, I appreciate the pictures and yes I also suspect this part is the slide roof limit switch, but none of the parts on those sketches seem to look like what my broken piece is. I would think 84742B makes sense, but that image sure doesn't seem to look like the component I need, I would have expected some plastic end like I'm dealing with. Sure wish I had a working one or picture of it to compare to! Maybe I'll find one for sale to peek at, unless anyone on here can chime in with a photo from theirs

Thanks for the suggestions,
Maybe you can find a Lexus dealer that has an SC430 for sale nearby and go check it out. I think top mechanisms are the same for all model years. A friendly salesperson might let you operate the top and check out what the intact part looks like. The alternative is take it in to Lexus for service and have them diagnose and let you know exact part that requires repair.
Old 10-01-17, 07:38 AM
march7984
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Top issue

This is a great thread for top related issues. Maybe some one here can offer some advice on a similar issue. I'm looking to buy this sc430 but the rear won't go all the way down. Any ideas on what involved to repair and potential cost? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-02-17, 02:29 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

It looks like you can get to it without taking the carpet out. If that is the case, I will take a picture of mine tonight and give you something to compare too. Hopefully you can adapt something to make the switch usable again.
Old 10-02-17, 04:57 PM
Charliepl
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
It looks like you can get to it without taking the carpet out. If that is the case, I will take a picture of mine tonight and give you something to compare too. Hopefully you can adapt something to make the switch usable again.
That would be great, thank you! No need to touch the carpet. If I can get a clear look at what it is, I hope to modify a suitable fix.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-03-17, 01:10 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Here are some pictures. It looks like the left and right side are NOT identical (which I am sure you already knew). The third picture is the left side.

It looks like there is still a nub of the other half of the broken part on the bolt side. Once you get the plastic cover off, hopefully you can remove the bolt and then jb weld the two parts together. I think if you lay some toothpicks or strips of aluminum from a soda can into the jb weld, you could probably reinforce it enough.
The following users liked this post:
Charliepl (10-03-17)
Old 10-04-17, 06:03 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

In looking at the pictures I can clearly see that there is looks like a broken seam visible in the pictures not having to do with the part that is broke. The seam looks like its a sort or oval shaped open center. It may not have come apart but it looks like its through the entire bracket or what ever you call it

Quick Reply: Help! 2002 sc430 roof problem?!?