SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-17, 10:57 PM
vtp86
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?

Hello all! I'm just a lurker here, since I have a 2017 GS. However, I'm looking into getting an SC430, and I was wondering if you guys could help. There are a couple of questions I was curious about:

-Are specific years of the SC430 models more or less reliable than the others / prone to issues?
-If so, what are some of the most common problems that SC430 drivers have been experiencing?
-It seems like people are able to convert the 2001-2005 models with the newer 06+ tail lights. Was there any problem with fitting?
-Does a high mileage SC430 matter, or does the Lexus powertrain and quality taper off after a certain amount of mileage?

Every time I see one of these models on the road, I just have to turn my head because they're rare and such pretty cars. I am almost so tempted to ask them how many miles they have on their car and if they are willing to sell them when I drive by lol.

Hopefully you guys are able to help me answer some of the problems posed above. I really do appreciate your guys' time!
Old 03-28-17, 11:17 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

Welcome to the Club, hope you will also be a proud owner of the SC as I am. My advice, if you can afford, get 2006+ SC model, most likely it will have low mileage. Hard to find but not possible.
Besides the tail light upgraded, 2006+ models have other improvements.
For the pros and cons, others can chime in, since I only had mine more than a year and drove only 3,000 miles. So far, nothing goes wrong, yet.

Last edited by GmanSC; 03-28-17 at 11:21 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 06:25 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree, if you can find a 06 or newer, that is preferable. I did the taillight mod on my 05 and it fit fine (best thing I did to this car!) Also, I swapped out the stereo for a Pioneer with Apple CarPlay and added a backup camera, as I couldn't live with the OEM stereo and no camera.

The only problem I have had just occurred with my speakers - the left side goes in and out and started this week. I have 71,600 miles on mine and otherwise love it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Old 03-29-17, 07:13 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by sblevins
I agree, if you can find a 06 or newer, that is preferable. I did the taillight mod on my 05 and it fit fine (best thing I did to this car!) Also, I swapped out the stereo for a Pioneer with Apple CarPlay and added a backup camera, as I couldn't live with the OEM stereo and no camera.

The only problem I have had just occurred with my speakers - the left side goes in and out and started this week. I have 71,600 miles on mine and otherwise love it.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
are you going to do the inexpensive speaker repair or go with aftermarket?
Old 03-29-17, 08:31 AM
jzdulexus
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

I had a thread on this very topic when I was shopping for an SC last year. I agree that 06 and later are a little smoother and quicker with six-speed and they are more upgradeable, especially with the radio and bluetooth. Essentially, you can get most modern features short of parking assist with an 06 and later. But they are indeed harder to find, only 18% of SC out there.
Old 03-29-17, 08:38 AM
sblevins
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
are you going to do the inexpensive speaker repair or go with aftermarket?
Not sure...I figure I'll search around here for some more info. It is weird, it sometimes works fine, other times the left side of the car's speakers drop out. My first stop is where I had the radio installed, hoping it is just a wire loose and they can reconnect it. I'll probably opt for a repair if it is more than that just because I'm a little low on cash right now and it is driving me crazy, I don't know if I can wait to get new ones installed. Though I may change my mind after searching through the forums today and seeing what options are out there.

Sorry to hijack the thread - but yes, to the OP, I recommend the car. I've had lots of convertibles (3 Mercedes, a couple BMWs, a Miata and a Saturn Sky, as well as a Lexus IS convertible) and love this car above them all. Happy shopping!
Old 03-29-17, 02:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

vtp86, none of the years are bad or problematic. They are all pretty similar with the same engine throughout the market life of the SC430, and that engine is pretty rock solid. Be sure to read the stickie at the top of the forum page that discusses what to look for when shopping for a SC430. It is chock full of information that will help you in your search.

The main differences between the various years of the car are fairly minor and mostly cosmetic. Obviously, a lower mileage model car will have less wear on it but if the SC430 is well taken care of, it will last a long time. There are several members with well over 100kmiles and others with over 200kmiles on their cars and going strong.

Good luck in your search.
Old 03-29-17, 04:47 PM
kevin3344
Lexus Test Driver

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts

OP, I just purchased a 2002 SC430 with 105k for $11.8k from Florida...currently waiting for it to be shipped to me in NC. There are a shortage of SC430s here. I'm not worried about reliability in the least because I'm still driving my 1999 GS 400 with 225,000 miles. I drove to see my niece in Georgia when she was born and now she's about to graduate from high school.

Btw, I'm more of an original SC430 guy myself (my GS400 is 100% stock) but I did see this on a Craiglist ad in Atlanta recently:

Old 03-29-17, 09:19 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Whoa ! Do you guys see the odometer reading. Amazing.
Old 03-29-17, 09:22 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sblevins
Not sure...I figure I'll search around here for some more info. It is weird, it sometimes works fine, other times the left side of the car's speakers drop out. My first stop is where I had the radio installed, hoping it is just a wire loose and they can reconnect it. I'll probably opt for a repair if it is more than that just because I'm a little low on cash right now and it is driving me crazy, I don't know if I can wait to get new ones installed. Though I may change my mind after searching through the forums today and seeing what options are out there.
Most likely, I willing to bet, the wires connection. Besides, the speakers are not that expensive.
Old 03-29-17, 09:49 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

Gang

I have owned a few SC's and know a lot about these cars . My advise is be patient
and get one that has been taken care of and ideally accident free.

The current SC I own is the Pearl White and I paid high retail for it
Because I wanted one that was super clean with no bodywork .

once these cars get repainted , it is difficult to color match the panels

keep your SC in good condition and they will last forever
Old 03-29-17, 11:25 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by jonas's RX
Gang

I have owned a few SC's and know a lot about these cars . My advise is be patient
and get one that has been taken care of and ideally accident free.

The current SC I own is the Pearl White and I paid high retail for it
Because I wanted one that was super clean with no bodywork .

once these cars get repainted , it is difficult to color match the panels

keep your SC in good condition and they will last forever
its called "walking the car" to stsrt painting panels.

some of the older metallic paints were painted with the body electrified to make the metallic line up better. 300 something. Amps or volts
Old 03-30-17, 02:07 AM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a lot of miles. It equates to 616,000 Kilometers. Jonas, & others that seem to know quite a lot about these cars. If they are properly looked after, oil change, trans, & don't thrash the s@#$%t out of them, how many miles do you reckon they'll do?

Chris......From OZ.
Old 04-01-17, 10:32 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....here's one with 235k...it still drives great, no major issues & still turns a few heads...lol
Old 04-03-17, 11:35 PM
dcmod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,
I just came back to this forum ,, thinking of selling my nearly new 2002 SC430 for sale with 22K miles ...
What is the best way to advertised it ? Because I can;t post a new for sale ad , due to limited post in this forum .
I am in Orange County Southern Calif . Just pm me if anybody in this forum is interested and we can discuss it

Thanks much

Quick Reply: Possibly looking into getting a SC430. Any tips?