SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Massive Problem guys, need some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-17, 07:33 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If it turns out that you have a faulty ECM, there is a company in the U.S. that repairs ECMs for about $200 US and provides lifetime warranty on the repair. I had my ECM repaired by them and it has worked fine since.

Depending on what components are replaced, if you have your ECM repaired it very likely does not need to be reprogrammed. If you buy a used ECM from a wrecked car or buy a new ECM you will pay what can be a pretty significant labor charge to have a tech program the ECM to match your car and your keys.

http://siaelec.com/

Thanks for the heads up, but unfortunately, I live ultra far away from the great US.. haha.. But i found a centre who only repairs ECMs, so if it is the ECM, I would try and send it there instead. Which i really hope its not. *Fingers Crossed
Old 03-07-17, 05:08 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Hi guys, massive update:

My friend just contacted me that the ECM is spoiled. He said his other friend is arranging for it to be fixed. I never had the chance to try the fuse method.

One question for you guys if any of you can help me;

If the ECM doesnt get power (as in it is spoiled and which case the OBD fuse is fine) does the dashboard's check engine light lights up when the ignition on?

Because in my case, dash engine light doesnt light up, which i think was the fuse, but today my friend contacted me saying the ECMs spoiled.

Scotty mentioned that if the fuse is spoiled, the dash check engine light will be off, but im not sure if its the other way around.
Old 03-07-17, 08:59 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 512 Likes on 428 Posts

If the ECM is out of the car, I am pretty sure the Check Engine Light (CEL) will be off. Since that is the thing the fuse is powering.
The following users liked this post:
Birury (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 09:06 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
If the ECM is out of the car, I am pretty sure the Check Engine Light (CEL) will be off. Since that is the thing the fuse is powering.

Actually even before the ECM was taken out, the dash check engine light was off.. but at that time i didnt know what that means. But if there is a problem with the ECM while being connected with the car, does the dash engine light light up?
Old 03-07-17, 09:56 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Birury
Hi guys, massive update:

My friend just contacted me that the ECM is spoiled. He said his other friend is arranging for it to be fixed. I never had the chance to try the fuse method.

One question for you guys if any of you can help me;

If the ECM doesnt get power (as in it is spoiled and which case the OBD fuse is fine) does the dashboard's check engine light lights up when the ignition on?

Because in my case, dash engine light doesnt light up, which i think was the fuse, but today my friend contacted me saying the ECMs spoiled.

Scotty mentioned that if the fuse is spoiled, the dash check engine light will be off, but im not sure if its the other way around.

Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for this car. Without that I can't say for sure. I wish we knew what he checked and didn't check.
Birury (03-07-17)
Old 03-07-17, 10:00 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad

Unfortunately I don't have a wiring diagram for this car. Without that I can't say for sure. I wish we knew what he checked and didn't check.

Yeah, I asked him to bring back the ECM, and i will try to see if its as simple as a blown OBD fuse. (I wish it is) I have my hopes high coz I didnt have any bad experiences with my SC, it didnt have like any bad symptoms before this happens like poor idle, or sudden shut down. its all perfect up to this.
Old 03-07-17, 01:18 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

You should read this post BGW wrote https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...r-2-0-4-a.html
Birury (03-09-17)
Old 03-08-17, 02:30 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Read post #77 in this article https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc430-2nd-gen-2001-2010/416764-vsc-vsc-off-lights-6.html#post9795387

It
may explain why your friend couldn't read the computer. It all depends on his code reader of course, but it may be related.
Birury (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 09:15 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Birury
Yeah, I asked him to bring back the ECM, and i will try to see if its as simple as a blown OBD fuse. (I wish it is) I have my hopes high coz I didnt have any bad experiences with my SC, it didnt have like any bad symptoms before this happens like poor idle, or sudden shut down. its all perfect up to this.
Then install it back and try to initialize the ECM. There is a Youtube for this. And make sure you have power on the OBDII port, also there is a Youtube for this.
Most common problem with ECM is cold solder joints, bad high value electrolytic capacitors...
Birury (03-14-17)
Old 03-13-17, 02:25 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

So Birury,

Did you ever get the computer back and if so, what did you find?
Birury (03-14-17)
Old 03-15-17, 12:43 PM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys! Back with a massive update.. On the 14th, around 10am (+8gmt) I towed the car to my go-to workshop.. always had my previous car fixed there, I trust them so I brought the school there.. here's a pic of my sc being towed.. *was really scared.

On the 15th, I got a phone call. (*Tbh, I was bracing myself for the worst, ecm change or something bigger) the mechanic said the car starts fine.. however there's a problem.. he said vsc and trc lights are on (OBD jump is in order I think).. other than that no other problems..

Asked him about the problem, he said when I reach there he will tell me, he reassured that it's not a big problem.. 🤔🤔

They actually wouldnt go into specifics into what went wrong with the car, seems like the boss hesitated and kept beating around the bush, didnt give me the answers. But when I talked to the mechanic alone for a while, he then said its actually the ECU relay that was blown, and now it is replaced. Paid MYR914.00; MYR400.00 for the fix, and the rest for a new battery (which i did request, and i requested the non refillable type).

Im so glad that my car is now fine. Haha, spend a hell lot for something a veteran would say simple problem. haha. All in all, I spent MYR1000 on nothing, MYR250 for the tow, MYR914 for the fix.

But although the car drives fine now, the gear stick is stuck on P and require me to press the "Shift Lock" button to put it into drive. (The mechanic said its probably solenoid, but I was thinking about doing some research before doing that.) Does the car have some sort of lock unlock button for the gear lever?

and, sadly...

My top doesnt go down anymore. I press the button, red light flashes, i thought its the boot cover thingy, opened the trunk and the cover is in its place (For the roof to fold in). Maybe a fuse? (I'll have a look around the forum for any fixes)

Apart from that, im glad my car is now fixed, and drive-able once more. Anyways, this is a pic of my car i took just now;

LOVE IT! haha..
Old 03-15-17, 01:13 PM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Another update guys, fixed the convertible top problem. Now its working fine again. Never knew about the "Valet switch", pressed it, and voila.

Now its only the gear lever problem.
Old 03-15-17, 02:32 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm glad proper diagnosis was done and parts weren't just thrown at it. It's great it turned out to be a very inexpensive fix. Gotta feel great to be back on the road.

where did those wheels come from? They look like 5th generation 20" camaro wheels
Birury (03-15-17)
Old 03-15-17, 02:48 PM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I'm glad proper diagnosis was done and parts weren't just thrown at it. It's great it turned out to be a very inexpensive fix. Gotta feel great to be back on the road.

where did those wheels come from? They look like 5th generation 20" camaro wheels

Yeah, thank goodness its pretty affordable. hahaha. to be honest with you, I was shocked to drive the car just now, felt like that "new car" feel, the ride, the comfort, and everything just awesome, glad to have the car running.

i love them wheels too, it came when i bought the car. it has some lexus branding. I actually like to "pimp" out my car especially the rims, but for this one, i prefer to keep this stock-like look.

Thanks for the help @Coleroad and all of you CLs, You guys are the ones that kept me feeling optimistic while the car was dead.
Old 03-15-17, 03:15 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Glad to hear that you got it up and running again and found the valet switch. (That one gets a lot of folks.)

The gear shift lock sounds familiar but I can remember any details right now (assuming that I ever knew any...).
Birury (03-16-17)

Quick Reply: Massive Problem guys, need some tips.