SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Massive Problem guys, need some tips.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 01:27 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
Glad to hear that you got it up and running again and found the valet switch. (That one gets a lot of folks.)

The gear shift lock sounds familiar but I can remember any details right now (assuming that I ever knew any...).

Never knew that button ever existed. haha, glad to find the post though.

yeah, but i think its the solenoid, hopefully its just full of gunk, and repairable. haha, but there was a time last year when i parked the car at a mall, the gear shift got stuck on P, after a while, me pressing the shift lock button a few times made it fine. so it drives fine for half a year again. but it came back. dont know if its a gear lock feature or just a problem.
Old 03-16-17, 10:29 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

I think it may be related to the brake light switch. When you press on the brakes, do the lights come on? If the car doesn't think your foot is on the brake, it won't let you change out of the parking gear
The following users liked this post:
Birury (03-17-17)
Old 03-17-17, 05:37 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DashingDar
I think it may be related to the brake light switch. When you press on the brakes, do the lights come on? If the car doesn't think your foot is on the brake, it won't let you change out of the parking gear

Yeah, I am aware of those types of issues, but my car brake light does flash. I think its proably solenoid problem, maybe... haha..
Old 03-17-17, 01:59 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Birury (03-23-17)
Old 03-23-17, 05:39 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Just saw this, btw, sent my car back to the workshop when I drove it the other day, the temperature was really high. Didnt notice this and i stopped on the side of the road when i did. did a little check, turns out the radiator fan was not functioning.

So i sent it back and they said its another relay that was blown. they replaced it for free (which is awesome) and they did a check with the locked gear lever, they said its the solenoid. Heres a pic of it;

Just now i found another problem with the car, when i turn the car on, the headlight dash light stays on for like 10 seconds before it goes away. Checked the headlights, it doesnt light up at low. haha.. but i suspect it might be a fuse.

I think there might be more fuse and relay problems with the car.
Old 03-23-17, 06:20 AM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm wondering if you have a bad diode in the alternator rectifier. This allows some AC current to be feed through the electrical system. Hook up an oscilloscope to the alternator. You'll be able to see if this is the case. One being bad of the three usually lets the battery charge ok. Everything seems fine, except just weird electrical issues like this. Certain sensors may also read funny. You can find information about this on the web and I'm sure YouTube.
Birury (03-28-17)
Old 03-23-17, 09:37 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

So did the new solenoid fix the problem? If it didn't, I wonder if there is a relay that controls the solenoid that could be bad.
Birury (03-28-17)
Old 03-28-17, 06:55 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Coleroad
I'm wondering if you have a bad diode in the alternator rectifier. This allows some AC current to be feed through the electrical system. Hook up an oscilloscope to the alternator. You'll be able to see if this is the case. One being bad of the three usually lets the battery charge ok. Everything seems fine, except just weird electrical issues like this. Certain sensors may also read funny. You can find information about this on the web and I'm sure YouTube.

Owh, I will try and ask the mechanic to have it checked out. thanks for helping Coleroad.
Old 03-28-17, 06:58 AM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

So did the new solenoid fix the problem? If it didn't, I wonder if there is a relay that controls the solenoid that could be bad.

I havent had it changed, my workshop is still finding that part apparently. I tried to do some finding but im kinda scared to buy through ebay. haha.. btw, power was sent to the solenoid but it doesnt work. the mechanic said so.
Old 03-28-17, 12:20 PM
sippy2
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Birury
Just saw this, btw, sent my car back to the workshop when I drove it the other day, the temperature was really high. Didnt notice this and i stopped on the side of the road when i did. did a little check, turns out the radiator fan was not functioning.

So i sent it back and they said its another relay that was blown. they replaced it for free (which is awesome) and they did a check with the locked gear lever, they said its the solenoid. Heres a pic of it;

Just now i found another problem with the car, when i turn the car on, the headlight dash light stays on for like 10 seconds before it goes away. Checked the headlights, it doesnt light up at low. haha.. but i suspect it might be a fuse.

I think there might be more fuse and relay problems with the car.
Where is the solenoid located on the car...I ask because my wife has had to manually unlock the shifter twice...and haven't figured out if it is user error or the solenoid is going bad.
Old 03-28-17, 07:46 PM
Birury
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sippy2
Where is the solenoid located on the car...I ask because my wife has had to manually unlock the shifter twice...and haven't figured out if it is user error or the solenoid is going bad.
Hi, i think its located under the shifter mechanics as well. Same with other lexus. Yeah, i thought of the same thing when it happened to me, but now i think i do need it changed, because after it working a few times the other day, its locked again now.