SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Steering wander

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 07:56 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Steering wander

After reading a bunch of posts about steering wander here and other places and seeing the Daizen catalog about the replacement of the soft steering parts I thought I would report my personal experience in working on our 08.

car drove poorly and wandered a lot.

went to the local dealer who had serviced the car for the former owner and got their records on the car.

Car had 18,343 on it when we bought it two months ago.

the dealer service writer had had no one mention wander to him on a sc 430 BTW.

The previous owner had the selling dealer replace the run flats at 13k miles which was the cars miles used in 2013.

dealer installed Pirelli P1 Cinturados on the car,

at 15k miles the previous owner had the alignment redone that was done at the 13k platinum certification and the tires rebalanced again.

looking through the non dealer service papers I found another alignment receipt after the dealer one.

hmmmm.

so I get on the Internet and see a lot of poor reports on the p1's.

best reports on the Michelin pilot super sports.

so I buy a set and pull off the 5k miles tires.

car drives straight as an arrow now. Turns better. Less noisy.

Look at the pirellis sidewall. Made in China.

The Pirelli's rut tracked also. Separate from the smooth road wander.

wondering how many similar issues might have been tires?

or that the 06 and up cars changed suspension parts or the frame enough to lessen the wander?

i have a set of Daizen poly sway bar parts front and rear and a shock tower brace still to install,.

made a 80mph fairly sharp turn the other night and the car wallowed through the turn. Hope the poly helps that.

but the wander is gone. Tiny bit of groove tracking today but hardly noticeable.

tires.....

any other results here?
Old 10-26-16, 05:22 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to hear that you're making progress. Did you get an alignment when you installed you new Michelin's? How was the front tread wear looking on your old Pirelli's? Toe out will cause darting, rut tracking, and wander. Been there done that!
Old 10-26-16, 09:47 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bon
Glad to hear that you're making progress. Did you get an alignment when you installed you new Michelin's? How was the front tread wear looking on your old Pirelli's? Toe out will cause darting, rut tracking, and wander. Been there done that!
the car has had three alignments in 5k miles. I will have it checked while the shop installs the poly sway bar bushings and has the two bent rims straightened although

the steering wander in my case was the poor directionally stable Pirelli tires.

same thing happened on our Rv.

fix was $4,200 of Michelin XZA-3+ evertread tires

Tire rack and other forums all have places to report driving characteristics of various tires. That's were I found the pirelli P1's poor reports.

and the top reports on the Michelin pilot super sports.

my question a guess is if both an early model sc430 and a late model sc had similar tires do they drive differently?

were any suspension parts underneath changed except for the shocks between the model years?
Old 10-26-16, 11:24 AM
doodles714
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The poly sway bar bushings make a huge difference when cornering, especially the rear. You'll notice the strut brace difference when you have the top down.
Old 10-26-16, 11:53 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Thanks for the info.

I wish owners would put their model years in their signatures. Please...
Old 10-27-16, 03:57 AM
NewLexland
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another huge different would make a set of Meister R coilovers. Sporty drivers might say it's how the SC should have felt right from the start.
Old 10-27-16, 09:03 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by NewLexland
Another huge different would make a set of Meister R coilovers. Sporty drivers might say it's how the SC should have felt right from the start.
do they make them or will they fit an 08?

i think they would help as the factory shock seems to have too much high speed compression dampening and not enough low speed. And the spring rate seems wrong.

sent them an inquiry. Thanks for the info. I had seen them before but refreshing my memory helps

Last edited by Caflashbob; 10-27-16 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 09:26 AM
NewLexland
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

MeisterR does have two different kinds of coilovers and both will fit any SC430 '01-up.

ZetaCRD
Designed for fast road and occasional track day use. Engineered to reduce body roll, provide compliant handling, without sacrificing ride comfort. Damping and ride height adjustable mean the ZetaCRD will provide full control over the vehicle suspension setting for the road or on the track.

GT1
Developed in collaboration with Black Art Design (B.A.D.) of UK who have a track record of designing suspension from championship winning race car to OEM application. Using advanced and precision CNC internal parts manufactured in MeisterR UK workshop, the GT1 is designed to be the best in precision engineering and suspension performance.
Please note: GT1 is a custom built coilover with lead time of 3 to 4 weeks.

Just drop Jerrick at 'info@meisterr.com' a note. He has much experience. His own SC430 was used as guinea pig for all the research and development.
Old 10-27-16, 09:38 AM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Originally Posted by NewLexland
MeisterR does have two different kinds of coilovers and both will fit any SC430 '01-up.

ZetaCRD
Designed for fast road and occasional track day use. Engineered to reduce body roll, provide compliant handling, without sacrificing ride comfort. Damping and ride height adjustable mean the ZetaCRD will provide full control over the vehicle suspension setting for the road or on the track.

GT1
Developed in collaboration with Black Art Design (B.A.D.) of UK who have a track record of designing suspension from championship winning race car to OEM application. Using advanced and precision CNC internal parts manufactured in MeisterR UK workshop, the GT1 is designed to be the best in precision engineering and suspension performance.
Please note: GT1 is a custom built coilover with lead time of 3 to 4 weeks.

Just drop Jerrick at 'info@meisterr.com' a note. He has much experience. His own SC430 was used as guinea pig for all the research and development.
great. Thanks. Sent him a mesaage
Old 10-27-16, 01:43 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

As this car is a "keeper" and after talking to jerrick at miester I am going to get their cj1 coil over setup.

i build off road bikes and am very sensitive to suspension setup's.

He related theirs to OHLINS type stuff.

not the inexpensive solution but in the context of things over the long run it works out.

he also mentioned the control arm bushings.

Its only money.