SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2003 SC430 Integrated Telephone

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 07:31 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 2003 SC430 Integrated Telephone

So, earlier today, I picked up another 2 day subscription to the techinfo site in order to grab some more information I was missing. As I was poking around I came across the accessory install guide for the integrated nokia telephone system. It has all the connector pinouts and wiring diagrams.

Looking through it, it appears that there could be a possibility to make the system work with a modern phone with a new cradle and some interfacing. Hmm...

That is the wiring for the cradle. It appears that all of the cellular functions reside in the phone itself.

Nokia used a a serial port that they called FBUS (really it is just normal serial like a computer uses but at 5V levels.) This bus took modem like commands to dial, answer calls, hangup, etc...

In the cradle above, you can see that it consists of the serial connection, the audio connection, and the charging circuitry and that's it.

Most modern phones can still use the nokia serial command set (through USB) and the rest is just normal phone stuff.

Instead of a cradle, it would also be possible to make a bluetooth "cradle" so the whole thing is wireless. It would just need to translate the nokia serial commands to the appropriate bluetooth commands (not very difficult.)

Of course, the only part of this system already present in the 2003 is the wiring harness. There are several pieces you would need to complete this accessory which may be difficult or impossible to find.

Unfortunately the installation manual is too big to attach here.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-05-16 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 07:40 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

To complete the system, you would need:

1. Microphone assembly (in the map light)
2. Microphone amplifier (installs under the passenger kick panel)
3. Cellular antenna (sticks to the wind deflector)
4. Telephone computer (ECU) installs under the driver side box in the trunk)
5. Noise filter
6. Command Module (this actually just a different cover for the steering wheel control - it already has the electronics inside just no outside buttons.)
and
7. Cradle (top armrest tray)

Oddly, the manual doesn't have the toyota part numbers listed for the above parts. I'll try to find them.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-05-16 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-05-16, 08:03 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I think I may have found a list of part numbers:

Telephone computer part number 86710-50091
Telephone controller part number 86714-50020
Mike & Switch ASSY part number 86730-50040
Noise filter part number 90980-05280

And interesting. Mercedes created a bluetooth adapter to replace their nokia handset cradle:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-Model-Mercedes-Benz-Bluetooth-V60-OEM-Module-Cradle-Adapter-B67875856-/141855338919?hash=item21073cb1a7
Old 01-06-16, 05:57 PM
LEXZILLA
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Mr retro play can I drive my car to Michigan so you can work on my sc?
You are one bad dude!!!
Old 01-06-16, 06:41 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXZILLA
Mr retro play can I drive my car to Michigan so you can work on my sc?
You are one bad dude!!!

Do you have the integrated telephone system option in your car? lol

I would be willing to design either a bluetooth "cradle" or a modern phone cradle interface to retrofit the car if enough people were interested.

I was posting this mostly for information. I am planning to replace my nav system with a computer, so I am just studying the entire system as much as possible to re-use harnesses, mounting locations, and existing components as much as possible.

Since my planned system will be very different and I don't have the phone system option in my car already, I probably won't develop this unless others were interested.

Duplicating the entire system would be pretty neat though (if I were keeping the stock NAV) since the components for this accessory are really hard to find.

P.S. I'd rather come to LA. It's winter time here in Michigan. Blah!
Old 01-08-16, 09:50 AM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

I removed some of the trunk trim today because I am planning some modifications in that area this weekend (weather permitting.) I have confirmed that the harness that would go from the telephone computer to the NAV ECU is not present.

This sorta sucks, because what that harness would give you is an additional junction for all the goodie signals such as the RGB video, audio lines, mute, AVC-LAN.

Had the harness been in place, it would be a very stable location to install something like the NAV tool or any device that displays video on your nav screen.

The harness that goes to the Mayday switch/phone Cradle appears to be present in the rear center console box. You have to open the box and pop out the plastic trim. Behind that there is a mounting bracket and the harness ends. This is where I intend to install my 4G LTE Mobile router system. The mobile antenna will go into one of the rear seat headrests. Two 'laptop' style wifi antennas will be mounted inside the armrest cushions on either side.

This will provide an always ready internet connection within the car at a cost of only $10 a month attached to my phone plan.
Old 01-08-16, 02:48 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

This is a VERY cool modification and I was wondering if this has an advantage over using my phone as a hot spot.
I was wondering because I do that now with my phone in the car attached to an iPad or whatever.
Thanks!
Old 01-08-16, 02:54 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

And then their is me, no cell phone just an in unactivated one if I should need to call 911. When I did have one I used it as a phone not all the other things.
Old 01-08-16, 03:01 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bgw70
This is a VERY cool modification and I was wondering if this has an advantage over using my phone as a hot spot.
I was wondering because I do that now with my phone in the car attached to an iPad or whatever.
Thanks!
Probably not really unless you are installing things in your car that always need internet access.

But without all the bells and whistles I am planning, it is a fairly cheap and simple mod. My first iteration was actually just a mifi hotspot that I modified to turn on with the car. The only reason for not using just that is to allow me to customize and add features. A normal off-the-shelf router is running linux and most have DD-WRT or OpenWrt (custom operating system) already ported for them. This allows me to customize the firmware, add I/O and other hardware, etc..

But if you only want internet, I wouldn't do this mod.

Last edited by Retroplay; 01-08-16 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-08-16, 03:04 PM
Retroplay
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Coleroad
And then their is me, no cell phone just an in unactivated one if I should need to call 911. When I did have one I used it as a phone not all the other things.
I've heard legends about people like you.

Actually that was me until 2006. Refused to have a cell phone. But my work requires it. So now I have a personal and work cell phone.

And my first phone I refused to have texting on the account. Now, I primarily use text.