SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-18, 02:50 PM
MitchalTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?

I was looking into a sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?
They seem to last a long time if taken care of.
I've not owned one yet.
Do you think it is too much car for a 16 year old?
thanks
Old 03-22-18, 03:01 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

It has very powerful V8 and really can “comfortably” carry only one other person. In addition, it is not technologically advanced without modifications to the radio. In other words, if she has a cell phone it cannot connect to it.
Old 03-22-18, 03:11 PM
dcmod
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you can still use a cell phone with a dedicated bluetooth head piece.. Good enough to take and talk.
The stereo system is one of the best ... so who needs some fancy smartphone mp3 source to play music.. Just burned your own audio CD and play it thru the Mark Levinson systems .. Its that awesome
Old 03-22-18, 03:21 PM
Lesly1
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I personally would not. It is not an easy vehicle to judge, especially with the blind spots.

Chris.....From OZ.
Old 03-22-18, 04:39 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Lesly1
I personally would not. It is not an easy vehicle to judge, especially with the blind spots.

Chris.....From OZ.
She will be the coolest kid in high school .
Old 03-22-18, 05:07 PM
Jabberwock

Received 203 Likes on 166 Posts

Seems like a lot of car and engine HP for a 16 year old. A convertible, even one with a faux hardtop, is a very bad car to be inside in an accident, and accidents are 10x more likely with new young drivers. I would not have supplied this type of car for my kids when they started out. They drove basic 3-5 year old compacts like civic, corolla, and mazda3 when starting out.
Old 03-22-18, 05:14 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 145 Posts

A 3,800 pound steel car with multiple safety features standard is a fairly safe box. Take away for the horsepower and squirrelly high speed handling
Old 03-22-18, 05:42 PM
SuemcQ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?

It is way too much of a car for a 16 year old! She needs to be in a TANK made of metal! New drivers are going to have accidents; do you really want her in a tiny car? It sits way too low and if traveling on an interstate; tractor trailers may not see her!
Old 03-22-18, 05:50 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchalTX
I've not owned one yet.
thanks
get her a civic or Corolla like most other young girls. They are good on gas, 4cyl...have a decent stereo and the newer ones have plenty of air bags and other safety features...four doors.

Or you can always get her the 1974 Olds Vista Cruiser station wagon...if you need something like a tank!!!
Old 03-22-18, 06:19 PM
MitchalTX
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback
ill have to think about this
i haven’t test driven the car yet. Was planning on doing so this weekend
i liked the idea of a car that could not carry around lots of passengers.
I like that the car had a good safety and reliability rating.
i also liked that it is a cool car I could drive on the weekends
i also thought having a car with limited phone hook up might keep her off the phone when She is driving the car.

My my concern was the power, and handling
and having other kids ding the car in the high school parking lot

Last edited by MitchalTX; 03-22-18 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-22-18, 06:33 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by MitchalTX
I've not owned one yet.
thanks
Is she experienced driver? My daughter's first car was in high school. a red Mustang after driver training, basic and advance.
It was talk of the school among her classmates. She moved onto next car, a Subaru wagon during university/med. school days.
Never had any accident except some speeding tickets during that time. Still drives Subaru working as a staff doctor at university
hospital. IMO, isn't that car too big and too powerful as a first car? Also fuel cost.... Parking the vehicle, etc.
Son started out with Nissan X-trail in high school collected many speeding tickets, no accident, all grown up now.

Last edited by Htony; 03-22-18 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-22-18, 08:45 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
She will be the coolest kid in high school .
My #1 concern would be high school BOYS!!! Her profile is gonna go way up!
Old 03-22-18, 09:30 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 542 Likes on 412 Posts

I would not. It will be too much for the 16 year old to handle. Trust me, I am a driving instructor. I know kids. Beside, the SC side mirrors are not the best, they're small and have big blind spot, especially if the windows are tinted, they're very hard to see at night.

It would be good for you, however. I love the ML stereo, with a cassette adapter, you can hook up you phone, listening to music from MP3 files, or do a hand free conversation (the 6-disc CD changer is OK, but it's has been known has problem of jamming).
Old 03-23-18, 06:51 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's remove this idea that it has a big V8 with high horsepower. It's a little V8 with only 288 hp in a heavy car. New Camry's are faster, so it's not like you're providing her with some hotrod.
The limited seating is a good thing to avoid the many distractions more passengers might provide.
Whats this about not being able to connect to cellphones? My 6s connects to my 2006 for calling, not music.
it is kind of a fat car and might be a bit of a challenge in tight quarters, but that might make her a better driver.
And, as you say, it would be a cool car for you on weekends, as long as you're expecting an old man's sport coupe rather than a real sports car.

And before someone tries to correct me, I know the early cars were listed as 300hp, but the Feds made Toyota change that in 2006 because they weren't really 300.

Jonas
Old 03-23-18, 07:03 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 854 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by jrfiero
Let's remove this idea that it has a big V8 with high horsepower. It's a little V8 with only 288 hp in a heavy car. New Camry's are faster, so it's not like you're providing her with some hotrod.
The limited seating is a good thing to avoid the many distractions more passengers might provide.
Whats this about not being able to connect to cellphones? My 6s connects to my 2006 for calling, not music.
it is kind of a fat car and might be a bit of a challenge in tight quarters, but that might make her a better driver.
And, as you say, it would be a cool car for you on weekends, as long as you're expecting an old man's sport coupe rather than a real sports car.

And before someone tries to correct me, I know the early cars were listed as 300hp, but the Feds made Toyota change that in 2006 because they weren't really 300.

Jonas
2005+ had Bluetooth for calls only.
Also, what is a 6s?

BTW, this is not the debate forum...you sound like you are debating many of us...if you are not, I misunderstood your tone.

Quick Reply: sc430 for my 16 year old daughter?