SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-15, 01:19 PM
6SC430PB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Belt

I own a 2006 SC430 (PB) with approximately 23,000 miles. I recently had it at my Lexus dealer to have the passenger airbag replaced per the recall that was sent to me. When I picked up the car, the service manager recommended that I have the timing belt replaced. He stated that it should be replaced at 90,000 miles or nine years. Because of my low mileage, I questioned him if it was really necessary. He responded that the belt will dry our over time and that is the reason for the nine year recommendation for replacement. He quoted a cost of about $1200 which included replacing the water pump. I really hate to have anyone tear into my pristine engine but of course I fear the consequences of a failed timing belt.
Can anyone comment on this issue. Does the belt really need to be replaced with my mileage being so low?
Old 11-02-15, 01:53 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Lots of discussion on timing belt, do a search. You have a very young SC and if you know the quality of the miles on your baby, you are fine.

You have plenty of time to decide what you want to do. Do not fall in the trap of the doomsday prediction of a timing belt failure.

The timing belt will not fail as in splitting in 2, as long as it is an OEM and they do not rot. It is not exposed to anything corrosive.

It is the water pump that is the concern for a failure mode, when it binds. Before it fails, it will exhibit nasty noises.

Just try to be sensitive in hearing things such as whining noise indicating an idler-bearing failure, which should be a concern.

You have time and there are options of who can do your timing belt and idler pulleys and water pump.

If I had your SC, I will not think of a belt change until at least 10 years.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-15, 06:11 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I went ahead and had the Timing Belt changed on a newly acquired 2002 SC430 with 43K miles. I bought the Timing Belt kit via Amazon (roughly $180, and it included the belt, water pump, idler pulleys, etc.). I also changed out the serpentine belt and thermostat at the same time. I have a great independent shop that I trust with my Lexus, and the labor was $450 for the job, so I ended up spending under $700, which for me was worth it for the piece of mind. My service guy said the belt did look like it was starting to get a bit old/slightly cracked, so it was a good time to do the work.

Yours will probably be fine for another year or two, but you could change it now simply for piece of mind (knowing you'll want to change it in the next year or two anyway).
Old 11-03-15, 12:06 PM
MrVancey
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the timing belt on my 2003 done a couple months ago @ 85,500 miles. In addition to the belt, I had the following things done:
- Replaced water pump
- Replaced thermostat
- Replaced Tensioner & idler pulley
- Replaced serpentine belt
- Replaced both upper and lower radiator hoses
- Installed new iridium spark plugs
- Did a Coolant Flush & new antifreeze

I should be good to go for another 8 years or so.

BTW, cost by my local mechanic: $1,400 plus tax. First major expense, other than tires, since I bought it in spring 2011.
Old 11-03-15, 01:34 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would plan to get it done sooner than later, it maybe a 06 but I would look at the build date, you may find it was built in 05. Time is the concern, as it has been said here many times here " for a piece of mind" because without being able to view the belt, the condition is unknown and if you were to have problem, it will be a very costly and far more than getting it replaced.

I had our 02 done at Toyota, by a guy there I trust and a lot less expensive than the Lex dealer.
Timing belt, water pump and idler, does not make since to not replace the other parts while your that deep in the engine.
Old 11-03-15, 08:44 PM
SC43052
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As mandyfig said you needn't feel rushed.

An SC430 time belt breaking on its own is unheard of. Unlike some cars these timing belts are extremely robust and can really take a beating.

For those who have had disaster strike, unless you tear it apart yourself to discover the seized water pump or pulley bearing you will never know what caused the belt to break. Yes, if you later ask the service adviser at the dealer he will just say a broken belt and unless you ask to talk to the mechanic who pulled it apart you will never know why, and assume the belt broke on its own. It doesn't happen.

And as mandyfig said you will get some warning in the way of whining or squealing that the water pump or pulley is ready to let loose. A good habit to get into is to once per week check your oil and then while the hood is up start the engine and just listen to it idle for a minute. Knowing what the engine regularly sounds like up close can make unusual warning sounds really stick out when they pop up.

Take your time to decide. If you can turn a wrench it is really not that bad a job. If you want to farm it out then seek out the best price (often an independent repair shop or a Toyota dealer who is hungry for work). By all means change all of the components including the water pump and all of the pulleys and serpentine belt.

You may also want to consider preventive maintenance on the cooling system if your records indicate it has never been done. I had to replace the radiator (fairly common on SC430s) after eleven years because the top plastic part eventually cracks and leaks. It is not that expensive a part (OE Denso) and replacing that along with the hoses while the engine is apart will add very little labor, and will guarantee no trouble well into the future. Remember badly overheating this engine is one of the things that can ruin it and if you find yourself trapped in traffic and can't get off to the side of the road quickly and turn it off you can do damage.

One other thing. Keeping the water pump and the rest of the coolant system in good health requires changing your coolant every two to three years. One of the additives in coolant that wears out is a lubricant which keeps your water pump in good shape. Even if you are not a brave mechanic changing coolant (along with oil changes) is a great DIY project.
Old 11-04-15, 09:51 AM
mandyfig

SC43052 is right on the money. Knowing your car keeps you educated and you can not be frightened by doomsday toting remarks.

I am gaining confidence in getting the TB project launched. All I am lacking now if the SST device that holds the main crank so you can unbolt it. A DIY tool can be done with less than $25. Of course you will need a pulley puller. I have watched the utube DIY at least 10 times.

If you are a bit mechanically inclined, your best bet is to do it yourself, then you are pretty certain that you have covered all your bases. Plus you save a few bucks and you can add a feather in your cap. I need a solid weekend without interruption to complete this needed TB project.

Last edited by mandyfig; 11-05-15 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-04-15, 01:56 PM
jonas's RX
Instructor

Received 146 Likes on 95 Posts

I have a 03 with 29K I just changed the T/B , W /P pulleys
Drive belt etc and the T/B look almost new When it was pulled

The problem is the coolant was original and the drive belt was starting
To make noise

I would personally change it for the piece of mind

I paid about $800 ( I bought the factory parts myself )
And it is at least $500 cheaper than the dealer charges
Old 11-09-15, 09:19 AM
Jake125
Driver School Candidate

I have an 06 with just over 60.000 kilometers on it. I bought the car just a little over a year ago. For six months I debated on whether or not to change the belt.I do not drive the car after mid October due to weather,salt and snow. The timing belt was causing me much thought so I figured that rather than worry,I would change tha belt in the spring.When the belt was changed it did show a little wear and the water pump bore marks that indicated that it was starting to slowly weep coolant. I am happy that I changed it as I will have peace of mind for the next eight to ten years.
Old 11-11-15, 02:07 PM
Prasha
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake125
I have an 06 with just over 60.000 kilometers on it. I bought the car just a little over a year ago. For six months I debated on whether or not to change the belt.I do not drive the car after mid October due to weather,salt and snow. The timing belt was causing me much thought so I figured that rather than worry,I would change tha belt in the spring.When the belt was changed it did show a little wear and the water pump bore marks that indicated that it was starting to slowly weep coolant. I am happy that I changed it as I will have peace of mind for the next eight to ten years.
Is it not unusual for the water pump starting to slowly weep coolant at 60K kms (35 / 40K miles) ?
Old 11-11-15, 02:23 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 853 Likes on 686 Posts

They certainly can, is it unusual, a little.
Old 11-16-15, 10:57 AM
Jake125
Driver School Candidate

There were just a few stains on the pump but I think that they were a hint of a future problem.
Old 11-22-15, 07:34 AM
6SC430PB
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of your advice. It is very much appreciated. I have a local, independent garage that I trust very much and will have them check to see if there is any evidence of the beginnings of a failing water pump or evidence of a pending belt failure. I will most likely wait until early next year as we do not drive the car very often.
Old 01-07-16, 10:00 AM
mandyfig

Had my Timing belt done last weekend. Bearing-idlers replaced, also the thermostat. The existing thermostat looked OK.

Belt looked a tad worn, but not near failure point. Some loose dust-dirt which came from the belt, but could not see huge degradation. Pump looked OK. Some crud on weep hole.

Old bearings looked still OK.

No leaks on crankshaft seal.

Had to wait for the RTV seal on the water pump to harden before we could crank up the engine.

Car was at 114,000 miles.

Only thing I wanted to do but was not able to prepare for is the cleaning of all the covers. Would have been nice to have been able to paint the covers.

Anyway, all set for the next 90K. Peace of mind.
Old 02-05-16, 05:01 PM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have an '06 SC with about 75,500 miles and since it's around nine years old I had the timing belt replaced along with the idler pulleys, tensioner, serpentine belt and water pump yesterday. I saw the old belt and it looked almost brand new, no sign of cracks, excessive wear, etc., but now I have peace of mind.