SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does the dealer have to reflash new ecu

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-15, 05:23 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Does the dealer have to reflash new ecu

All indications I have bad ecu. If I buy a used ecu off eBay, is it possible to synch the ecu with the ignition key, or does the piece of crap dealer necessarily need to reflash the ecu? That is, is an ecu install DIY

Suggestions much appreciated
Old 09-14-15, 09:02 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Man, LexBrett, you're truly are having a huge run of bad luck. I wish I could be of more help, but I really don't know enough about the problems you're experiencing. I'm really sorry that you're having so much trouble. I surely couldn't do it. Stay strong, brother! I'm sure things will work out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Good luck!
Old 09-14-15, 10:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

There are so many "ECU"s on the car, I'm not exactly sure what the one you are dealing with controls. I seem to remember earlier threads about key reprogramming indicating that a master key was necessary for us to be able to reprogram keys to the car but I'm not sure that was ever verified.
Old 09-14-15, 10:36 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Man, LexBrett, you're truly are having a huge run of bad luck. I wish I could be of more help, but I really don't know enough about the problems you're experiencing. I'm really sorry that you're having so much trouble. I surely couldn't do it. Stay strong, brother! I'm sure things will work out. I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya. Good luck!
Thanks for the pep talk buddy.
Old 09-14-15, 02:35 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi! Brett.

I've been off a bit and am not caught up with reading. You are probably referring to the main ECU that is on the drivers side of the engine compartment. Ideallt it should come with the corresponding key. If not, then yes the dealer or with the DIY procedure the key will have to be reprogrammed, not the ECU. You migh have to initialize the ECU with Techstream.

Good luck!
Old 09-14-15, 06:21 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Hi! Brett.

I've been off a bit and am not caught up with reading. You are probably referring to the main ECU that is on the drivers side of the engine compartment. Ideallt it should come with the corresponding key. If not, then yes the dealer or with the DIY procedure the key will have to be reprogrammed, not the ECU. You migh have to initialize the ECU with Techstream.

Good luck!
Hey Greg,
Yes I mean the main Ecu drivers side engine compartment. When you say initialize Ecu with tech stream that sound like the dealer would necessarily have to do it? Do you have any literature or websites you could suggest? Thanks!!
Old 09-16-15, 12:31 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Hey Greg,
Yes I mean the main Ecu drivers side engine compartment. When you say initialize Ecu with tech stream that sound like the dealer would necessarily have to do it? Do you have any literature or websites you could suggest? Thanks!!
Not necessarily. I have the Techstream software and connector so should be able to do that. You should get a used ECU with the main key. You should probably use TechStream to analyze your existing ECu before tryiing to swap it out.

I would be happy to loan it to you or meet you with it. I don't have much experience with it other than getting it to work on a dedicated notebook and connect to my ECU

My thought came from the Tom's wesite. With the TEC ECu upgrade it mentions that the dealer might have to reset or initialize (I dont remember the exact working) the ECU with Techstream ...
Old 09-16-15, 12:56 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Default you are the man

Not necessarily. I have the Techstream software and connector so should be able to do that. You should get a used ECU with the main key. You should probably use TechStream to analyze your existing ECu before tryiing to swap it out.

I would be happy to loan it to you or meet you with it. I don't have much experience with it other than getting it to work on a dedicated notebook and connect to my ECU

My thought came from the Tom's wesite. With the TEC ECu upgrade it mentions that the dealer might have to reset or initialize (I dont remember the exact working) the ECU with Techstream ...
Greg,
Thanks so much for the message. Just as I was considering giving up too. That would be awesome if we could meet to test my ecu. The car is not driveable, so would have to remove the ecu and bring it to you. First I am going to check the timing, and make sure it is not off. Will give you a call tomorrow or Friday. Thank you!!
Old 09-17-15, 09:20 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Greg,
Thanks so much for the message. Just as I was considering giving up too. That would be awesome if we could meet to test my ecu. The car is not driveable, so would have to remove the ecu and bring it to you. First I am going to check the timing, and make sure it is not off. Will give you a call tomorrow or Friday. Thank you!!
Hi Brett

I think we have to test it in your car. Give a call tomorrorow. Any time after 10 am.
Old 09-18-15, 08:07 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Brett

I think we have to test it in your car. Give a call tomorrorow. Any time after 10 am.
Hi Greg,
I think I determined that the problem in my car is due to bad timing, but not definetly. Would be nice to rule out the ecu as a problem and THANK YOU so much for offering to help. Having horrible day at work but I will try to call you this afternoon if that is ok.
Old 09-20-15, 03:56 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Hi Brett

Hey Greg, sorry I missed you this weekend. Definetly would be awesome if we could test my ecu. Will give you a call this week. Think I have narrowed it down to with bad timing or Ecu. Feel like I'm getting close..