SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

AC Issues - Tried EVERYTHING - Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 04:28 PM
jarob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Issues - Tried EVERYTHING - Please help!

Alright, Ive been working on this AC system for months and have exhausted the search function and my patience with this car.

Originally the AC wasn't working, self diagnostic test pulled code 00, compressor would kick on for about 10 seconds every time the car was started but never blow cold air.

Had an AC tech check it out, pressurize the system properly, didn't change anything at all.

Replaced the entire compressor set (expansion valve, etc…) and the AC still doesn't work, again it kicks on for the first 5-10 seconds when the car is started and this time it DOES blow cold but then shuts off. Self diagnostic code throws code 21 & 24 in both dark and full daylight.

Replaced the solar sensor today ($200) and the diagnostic code is gone (00), but nothing changed with the AC.

Pulled the low pressure switch and jumped it, again the compressor kicks on and then off after 10 seconds with the switch JUMPED!

Replaced the relay, no difference. Cleaned the air filter, no difference.

Can anyone suggest ANYTHING?! I really need to get this thing working, its only 105+ outside.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-15, 05:41 PM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, you covered a lot.

From a non expert ie me, have you tried resetting the ECU?
Old 08-28-15, 06:53 PM
jarob
Driver School Candidate

Any idea how to do that?

I unplugged the battery for 10+ minutes multiple times.
Old 08-29-15, 07:12 AM
Cube
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, no.

Im sure the guys in here can help.

Have you checked for a faulty wiring? Maybe ground issues?
Old 08-29-15, 08:22 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you pressure test the system?
Old 08-29-15, 09:42 AM
jarob
Driver School Candidate

Yup had my ac mechanic test the whole system after he installed all of the new parts.

I checked the wiring to the best of my ability.
Old 08-29-15, 10:54 AM
jarob
Driver School Candidate

Just pulled all of the grounds and really cleaned them up, no help though
Old 08-29-15, 01:24 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You might consider doing the pressure test yourself. Mechanics often lie. Just get some r134a from walmart with a pressure gauge. Connect to low pressure valve. Follow instructions and check pressure and frion level. It's possible that the mechanic didn't test at all or lied. If the system holds pressure, is fully charged, and compressor is spinning, that's really weird. There could also be a loose connection, but it sounds like you already checked. Is the AC light blinking??
Old 08-29-15, 03:32 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Have you asked the dealer about a diagnosis . It might be worth an hour or so of labor to get to the bottom of the issue
Old 08-29-15, 04:26 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

As others have suggested, get the system pressure checked. You need to see both the high and low pressure readings. Many systems have cutouts for both. The gauges should tell the story. Hopefully the drier/filter was changed with everything else. Your new expansion valve could be clogged by junk in the lines so you're getting a high pressure cutout. Since you jumped the low pressure switch and it still cut out my bet is you have excessively high pressure.
Old 08-29-15, 04:49 PM
jarob
Driver School Candidate

The AC work is done by a guy I know who works out of his garage, was an AC tech forever and retired but still does it on his own for people he knows. Tests and charges my systems for free so I doubt he would be lying. He said he will take another look at it tomorrow for me.

I'll mention the expansion valve potentially being clogged tomorrow and yes the drier was replaced too.

AC light is not blinking.

Last edited by jarob; 08-29-15 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-06-16, 02:33 PM
talaine
Driver School Candidate

Default My car is doing same thing

Did you figure out the problem? My RX350 is having this same problem and Lexus delearship has replaced my compressor and condenser. This is beyond frustrating, as I am sure you well aware of this feeling!!
Originally Posted by jarob
The AC work is done by a guy I know who works out of his garage, was an AC tech forever and retired but still does it on his own for people he knows. Tests and charges my systems for free so I doubt he would be lying. He said he will take another look at it tomorrow for me.

I'll mention the expansion valve potentially being clogged tomorrow and yes the drier was replaced too.

AC light is not blinking.
Old 06-06-16, 02:41 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I have seen many times this being caused by a bad ambient temperature sensor. Also can be a bad board on the climate control panel. You need to also check the applicable relay or relays. I hate it when I see or hear shops that spend thousands without do a real diagnosis. I had someone show up at the shop after leaving the bmw dealership. They charged him over six thousand dollars replacing parts, and still no ac. He pulled in hooked it up . Ambient temperature sensor said minus 36 degrees Fahrenheit. Replaced the $15 sensor he had ac in his M5. The dealership ripped him off for thousands.

Last edited by Coleroad; 06-06-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 06-07-16, 03:46 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree it might be a high pressure issue. Unlike the old R12, you CAN put in too much R134. If it is too high, then the system will cutoff. There is an ambient temp/pressure chart somewhere on the internet you can refer too. Or you can just use common sense. When it is 90 degrees, don't fill up the system to the max, or else when it gets to 105 the pressure in the system will be too high.

Since it runs for 10 seconds, I would assume it is either a relay (which you checked) or a sensor reading. My guess is the 10 seconds the system runs put the pressure out over/under the limit somewhere.

Any chance you have access to Techstream?
Old 06-07-16, 05:59 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On my 04 LS430 (very similar system) it was: 2 dead radiator fans!
Stumped a couple of good mechanics; they thought compressor, or blocked expansion valve.
I decided ATF that 1 fan had been dead for a long time; system could cool with just 1 fan; but when 2nd died, my symptoms were about like yours.
First thing I did: sprayed garden hose mist on condenser; things worked fine.
A set of fans with ECU on the big mounting frame that holds it all was $125 locally.
All is good now, and I have an extra ECU for the future.

Quick Reply: AC Issues - Tried EVERYTHING - Please help!