SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-03, 01:04 PM
Silvertoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sunroof?

I am enamored of the Mercedes SL panorama roof. We all purchased convertibles to let the sun shine in so it seems sad that on those rainy days or snowy days-20 + inches is too much, to not be able to let the light in. Is there any way to add a glass panel to the removable roof? I would even consider putting it longitudinally like the new Nisan Maxima. Has anyone done anything like this?
Old 02-20-03, 01:32 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A sun roof in a convertible ? What's the Mercedes roof like ? Is it one of those photo-optic types that reacts to sunlight ? I've heard about but really don't know what it is.
Old 02-22-03, 04:33 PM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Hey I am unsure about the new SL but I know the old SL had three roofs, there was the standard soft top, then there was the standard hard top, and then there was one more, a panaramic top which the top part of the roof was just all glass, wouldn't that be sweet if you could do that to the SC. Sorry I don't have pictures.
Old 02-23-03, 01:35 AM
CaliKid
Driver School Candidate

Yes the new SL has an option (1K to 3K I think I remember) that is a glass roof with an inner sunshade that can be power opened. In other words it's a fixed glass roof that has a sunshade that can be retracted to let sunlight through but the glass doesn't move.

I would bet money that there are shops out there that could and would (for the right price) cut out part of the roof and replace it with a fixed glass panel. Although I doubt they could or would be able to install a power sunshade in the inside. So you would always have sunlight shining in.

I know these same shops can add a power sunroof (or moon roof) inside any fixed roof car. Although I remember one shop (years ago) saying that in order to install a sunroof into a fixed roof car that it would lower the head room by almost 2 inches for the power roof parts.

Last edited by CaliKid; 02-23-03 at 01:41 AM.
Old 02-23-03, 02:21 AM
Phoenix88
Lead Lap

Well here is the roof from an old sl, dam that would be so nice to have.
Attached Thumbnails Sunroof?-untitled.jpg  
Old 01-13-16, 05:38 PM
LexMan2003
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it at all possible to have a fixed or venting sunroof installed on the SC? If so, any problems with the stability of the structure? Leakage?

I don't require a motor and I'd even settle for a fixed, NON-venting glass.

I've enjoyed moon roofs on cars for many years. In the dead of winter, day or night, I can open it up all the way or partially and enjoy some fresh air and/or change of atmosphere. I find it very pleasurable and cannot easily enjoy that with a convertible.
Old 01-14-16, 09:37 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by LexMan2003
Is it at all possible to have a fixed or venting sunroof installed on the SC? If so, any problems with the stability of the structure? Leakage?

I don't require a motor and I'd even settle for a fixed, NON-venting glass.

I've enjoyed moon roofs on cars for many years. In the dead of winter, day or night, I can open it up all the way or partially and enjoy some fresh air and/or change of atmosphere. I find it very pleasurable and cannot easily enjoy that with a convertible.
There is a thread previously that discuss adding a sunroof to the sc430. Long story short, we decided it was a bad idea. Not only will it change the structural integrity and safety of the car, it will also add more weight to the top and thus could and probably would cause the top motors to burn out prematurely. This is specifically why I feel that Lexus chose a aluminium top, to keep the weight low to save life of the motors.
Old 01-14-16, 09:48 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Well said ShawnOk! The top is the only AL so it is easy to raise 6 feet up in the air.
Old 01-17-16, 11:40 PM
jgreezy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm what if it was made of a light weight tinted scratch resistant lexan or some other automotive plastics. Works for race car windows. Come to think of it has any one removed they're headliner to see if there are cables & pulleys and what not for the top to operate?
Old 01-18-16, 03:44 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess if you really have to have a sunroof on a retractable hardtop vehicle then you should look into a VW Eos. I know that they had them at one time. I imagine they still do.
Old 05-28-16, 04:35 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Got to thinking about this late last night. I still stand by my rationale that a sunroof in the top would be still be a bad idea, but what about T-tops.... interesting concept. Thoughts? Anyone willing to go Bo "Bandit" Darville for us?
Old 05-30-16, 12:08 PM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a clear panel on the removable hardtop for my 1987 Cadillac Allante. That is like the top for the SL, it does not retract into the trunk like on our Sc430's. I think cutting a hole in the top could be problematic because it is an intricate part of the car, not an add on like a removable top.
Old 05-30-16, 12:18 PM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's doable on a technical level. Putting a toughened glass panel in that occupies a percentage of the top (say 40%).

The trickiest part will making it look pro.

Finding the right sized black rubber trim/gasket is the easiest bit. Dealing with the headliner on the inside would be much harder to blend in and look OEM I think, but doable, especially if you tour the breakers/scrap yards looking at the higher end models (BMW, Lexus, Mercedes etc), stealing ideas and perhaps bits of trim as appropriate.
Old 05-30-16, 12:56 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

I'm not sure you can fit it in. You have the whole roof lock mechanism in the front panel. You have the motor two levers, and the latches. The motor is in the back middle. The two arms go out diagonally to the latches. That doesn't give a very big clear area I the roof.