SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-14, 10:43 AM
tdedden
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Correction

I met an auto detailer over the weekend who was demonstrating his paint correction technique and have to say that I was impressed with the before/after results. He quoted $350-$400 to do a stage 2 correction on my '02. I'm seriously considering doing this however am curious if others have had this done or done it themselves.

I did a little research on sealants and see that Opti-Coat has what looks to be a very good hand applied clear coat. Applying appears the easiest part, the many hours of clay/clean/ and other prep steps are the time and back breakers!

I'm curious to hear what experience others have had with professional detailing, pricing, and DIYs.

Thanks all.
Old 05-19-14, 06:50 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

How much is your time worth? A proper paint correction with the proper tools/machine and various pads and compounds / polishes will take easily 10- 20 hours depending on the correction work required.

If you dont have the tools the initial investment is quite high. Just thinking out aloud, you will need at least a random orbital polisher, various pads and pad sizes, clay bar, compounds and polishes and wax.

You can pay for the paint correction once, then wash your car with two bucket method to minimise introducing more new swirls and scratches. Use a good wax every couple of months. Meguiars had some excellent products and its easy to get and quite affordable especially where you are in the US.
Old 05-20-14, 12:37 PM
tdedden
Rookie

Originally Posted by gripau1
How much is your time worth? A proper paint correction with the proper tools/machine and various pads and compounds / polishes will take easily 10- 20 hours depending on the correction work required.

If you dont have the tools the initial investment is quite high. Just thinking out aloud, you will need at least a random orbital polisher, various pads and pad sizes, clay bar, compounds and polishes and wax.

You can pay for the paint correction once, then wash your car with two bucket method to minimise introducing more new swirls and scratches. Use a good wax every couple of months. Meguiars had some excellent products and its easy to get and quite affordable especially where you are in the US.
Thanks gripau. I have an orbital polisher but left swirl marks on my Escalade a few years ago and haven't used it since! I'm going to leave the correction to the detailer who said that I needed a stage 2 correction. I'm buying the Opti-Coat 2.0 from Amazon for $73 and Eraser cleaner and he's going to do the rest.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final results.
Old 05-21-14, 06:19 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a BIG difference between a rotary polisher (which I assume you have) compared to a random orbital polisher.

I would recommend against doing the Opti-Coat as a first time DIY unless you know what you are doing. Once Opti-coat has harden its a real pain to remove without heavy cutting compound. Hi and low points can be seen in the paint if done incorrectly or water spotting if the car was driven in the rain within 24 hours of applying the sealer.

The prep work on all surfaces is the most important step. The paint needs to be flawless to do an opti-coat job else you will be sealing in the imperfections!.

I would pay the professionals who does opti-coat application all day long, at least they will apply it correctly and warrant the work.

Last edited by gripau1; 05-21-14 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-21-14, 12:03 PM
tdedden
Rookie

Originally Posted by gripau1
There is a BIG difference between a rotary polisher (which I assume you have) compared to a random orbital polisher.

I would recommend against doing the Opti-Coat as a first time DIY unless you know what you are doing. Once Opti-coat has harden its a real pain to remove without heavy cutting compound. Hi and low points can be seen in the paint if done incorrectly or water spotting if the car was driven in the rain within 24 hours of applying the sealer.

The prep work on all surfaces is the most important step. The paint needs to be flawless to do an opti-coat job else you will be sealing in the imperfections!.

I would pay the professionals who does opti-coat application all day long, at least they will apply it correctly and warrant the work.
Yep, already made my appointment for the pro to do it, thanks!