SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Shock not same height as Strut, defective? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-13, 01:08 PM
jtwags
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Shock not same height as Strut, defective? (pics)

Hey All,
I was hoping someone might have a quick answer to this question since I can't contact Sewell Lexus Online until Monday. I ordered new Shocks and Strut Top Mounts for the 2002 sc430 from Sewell Lexus Online. I pulled the front strut out and when I compared the new shock to the old shock (still in the strut) I noticed they are different manufacturers and the new shock (KYB) with the top mount in place is not as high as the strut I pulled out. I was always under the impression the shock should fully extend under it's own pressure. Any one experience this before. I am concerned I was sent a bad shock. I can pull the new shock out further but it then returns back to the shorter height. I have posted a pic below. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails New Shock not same height as Strut, defective? (pics)-img_20131214_145114_381.jpg  
Old 12-14-13, 01:58 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Red face Spring

The spring is keeping the old strut in an extended position. Put your spring on the new strut and boom, same length as the one removed from the car.
Old 12-14-13, 02:06 PM
jtwags
Driver School Candidate

Thanks StillLine. That is what I was hoping, just never ran into such a difference in height. Time to compress the springs and get these new shocks and top hats on for a smooth ride again. Thanks!
Old 12-14-13, 09:34 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The strut should extend to its full length without the need for the spring to help. They are gas charged and it is the gas pressure that will extend them. I wouldn't put on a new shock that won't extend itself. That said, I'd also cycle the shock several times by pushing it fully in and letting it push itself out completely. This is standard procedure for these shocks. If the gas pressure is gone then the shock oil will foam when it's in use and you'll lose the dampening quality that you need. That's why the gas is in there.
Old 12-15-13, 08:24 AM
jtwags
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bon
The strut should extend to its full length without the need for the spring to help. They are gas charged and it is the gas pressure that will extend them. I wouldn't put on a new shock that won't extend itself. That said, I'd also cycle the shock several times by pushing it fully in and letting it push itself out completely. This is standard procedure for these shocks. If the gas pressure is gone then the shock oil will foam when it's in use and you'll lose the dampening quality that you need. That's why the gas is in there.
Thanks Bon. I was about to proceed this morning and decided to hold off and speak with Sewell parts first after reading your reply. I cycled the shock this morning for 15 minutes and it doesn't return any higher, also seems slow to return. I have installed KYBgr2 on other vehicles and they always returned quickly to height. I have read good things about the Bilstein HD on the front, specifically for the gs430. Perhaps it is best to just return these stock shocks and order a set of the Bilstein HDs and take another crack at it next weekend. Car is stock and looking to keep a smooth ride. Anyone ever use the Bilsteins with stock spring setup?
Old 12-15-13, 11:32 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I've installed many KYB's on Lexus and Toyota without ever seeing one that wouldn't fully self-extend out of the box. Let us know what Sewell says.
Old 08-10-15, 04:01 PM
zibby07
Driver School Candidate

Default shock or strut

Shock or strut?

When searching for which parts I need everyone is constantly interchanging the words shock and strut and I'm wondering if the 06SC has a strut where the spring is built into the mechanism or it actually has shocks with an attachable spring? I've seen the pictures of the strut assembly which shows a separate shock and spring.

I contacted lexus and they only gave me a shock part number 48510-24350

will this part work for the front end of an 06 SC?

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200..._absorber.html

thanks!

Originally Posted by jtwags
Hey All,
I was hoping someone might have a quick answer to this question since I can't contact Sewell Lexus Online until Monday. I ordered new Shocks and Strut Top Mounts for the 2002 sc430 from Sewell Lexus Online. I pulled the front strut out and when I compared the new shock to the old shock (still in the strut) I noticed they are different manufacturers and the new shock (KYB) with the top mount in place is not as high as the strut I pulled out. I was always under the impression the shock should fully extend under it's own pressure. Any one experience this before. I am concerned I was sent a bad shock. I can pull the new shock out further but it then returns back to the shorter height. I have posted a pic below. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-15, 05:49 PM
jtwags
Driver School Candidate

On my 2002 the spring, shock and top mount are all separate parts when ordered but combined together form the strut. I ordered the top mount and shock and had a shop decompress the existing spring and install the new shock and top mount. I am not sure if the 2006 uses a different design but I highly doubt it. I can't speak to the shock on partsgeek but if you want to keep the stock ride I would order stock shocks from Lexus. I almost went with the coilovers but I ordered off sewell lexus online and the stock shocks were only $60 each at the time. After the assembled strut was reinstalled along with new inner and outer tie rods I noticed an immediate difference in the ride, feels much tighter and more controlled. I am holding off on doing the rears until i get the ISF sway bar ordered to be installed at the same time.