SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Navigation Door

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-15, 07:43 PM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bgw70
After learning much more these, I would first pull the unit and check all of the screws on the sides of the unit and make sure the door is still in the track.

The door off the track and loose screws are the most common problem...

I ended up replacing the unit because it had multiple issues, bad screen, broken screen frame and it would not close the door or tilt the screen.
Just really strange that it stopped working after I was messing around with electrical connections near the fuse box to install back up sensors. Specifically I added a fuse tap to the drivers side fuse box to power the sensors and then used a bolt near the footwell as a ground. There were several sparks! Everytime have had a spark almost always a fuse has blown. Checked the NAV/TV fuse but it was fine. Maybe I should just go through them all one by one? I'm just certain the NAV door problem and my sensor install are related. But how??? Is it a different fuse that controls the NAV door??
Old 08-06-15, 01:44 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 912 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Just really strange that it stopped working after I was messing around with electrical connections near the fuse box to install back up sensors. Specifically I added a fuse tap to the drivers side fuse box to power the sensors and then used a bolt near the footwell as a ground. There were several sparks! Everytime have had a spark almost always a fuse has blown. Checked the NAV/TV fuse but it was fine. Maybe I should just go through them all one by one? I'm just certain the NAV door problem and my sensor install are related. But how??? Is it a different fuse that controls the NAV door??
Since you had a few sparks, I would guess another fuse has blown...which fuse box were you in?
i do believe there are at least three fuses in this system...I will need to look it up for you...give me a little time...
Does the display work at all?

Last edited by Bgw70; 08-06-15 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-06-15, 04:55 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Since you had a few sparks, I would guess another fuse has blown...which fuse box were you in?
i do believe there are at least three fuses in this system...I will need to look it up for you...give me a little time...
Does the display work at all?
Well I checked and it looks like the fuse tap is in an empty slot. Pretty sure the bad mechanic had something to do with this, since I recall putting this in an 10amp slot on drivers side. Sounds like it would be good idea to check all fuses in that area I drivers side!!
Old 08-06-15, 05:19 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBrett
Well I checked and it looks like the fuse tap is in an empty slot. Pretty sure the bad mechanic had something to do with this, since I recall putting this in an 10amp slot on drivers side. Sounds like it would be good idea to check all fuses in that area I drivers side!!
Check the following fuses, they all provide power to the GPS screen.

-Engine compartment, drivers side fuse box, 7.5A STARTER fuse
-Passenger floor kick panel, 10A P-IG fuse
-Passenger floor kick panel, 5A TV
Old 08-06-15, 05:37 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Wow thank you! Do you know the fuse numbers? If the starter fuse was blown wouldn't my car not start? For your reference, here is the location of the fuse tap in an empty slot. Going to switch to a 10 amp slot tonight
Old 08-06-15, 05:39 AM
LexBrett
Lexus Test Driver

Yes the display works which is confusing. When I press "open" the screen turns on and when I press "close" it goes dark..
Old 08-06-15, 07:56 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Fuse blocks

See page header

See page header
Old 03-17-16, 09:54 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New SC owner

Hello fellow SC owners. Picked up my 2002 SC about a month ago. It is my "Sunday" car. 102k miles, fair repaint, clear title and CarFacts. Everything works pretty well except the Nav Unit door is stuck open. When I asked the prior owner, who was the third to have it for the last three years, he said "I didn't know it had a door". He put about 6 k miles on it in the last three years, He had the timing belt done at 98k, and had all regular services performed. Anyway, I'm a tad mechanical in nature, and from what I've been reading it sounds like the door has come off the track or is out of alignment.One can hear it clicking and churning when you hit the close button. On one occasion while I was playing with it, it actually did close! unfortunately it was a one time shot. So, if I were to endeavor to attempt a repair, how the heck does one remove the unit from the dash? It looks like an involved and touchy chore. Any reference manuals or How Tos? Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails 2002 SC430 Navigation Door-img_1553.jpg  
Old 03-17-16, 04:48 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Welcome Mike!
The best way to search is, SC430 xxxxxsubjectxxxx
Not perfect but it helps.

Click on this link and it will show you how to remove the NAV screen.
Sounds like the door came off the track...the side screws become loose over time.
You will see what I mean when it is out.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...with-pics.html

Last edited by Bgw70; 03-17-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-20-16, 09:07 AM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Bgw, Thanks! I may try to pull the unit in a week or so. Stopped up to the local dealer in Jacksonville Fl, not all that helpful. I appreciate your help. Now all I have to do is get the nerve to begin.
Old 03-20-16, 01:31 PM
toantran99
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Pull the hvac control unit out, just pull it out, no screw holding it in place and make sure the 3 plugs in the back is connected to the unit.
Old 03-23-16, 05:09 PM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Thanks again guys. I found this video on youtube
. It has a a segment on removing the unit. So, I'm checking e-bay for a "Dashboard removal tool" or mini plastic crowbar. The speaker also offers a repair destination - HiTech Electrical Services, Van Nyes CA 818 785 8085. I have yet to call them. For anyone who has in fact "repaired" an off track, or loose screw problem with the Nav unit, any hints on how to proceed?
Old 03-23-16, 06:56 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MikeSC430D
Thanks again guys. I found this video on youtube How to Remove Navigation Display / A/C Control from Lexus SC430 2004 for Repair. - YouTube . It has a a segment on removing the unit. So, I'm checking e-bay for a "Dashboard removal tool" or mini plastic crowbar. The speaker also offers a repair destination - HiTech Electrical Services, Van Nyes CA 818 785 8085. I have yet to call them. For anyone who has in fact "repaired" an off track, or loose screw problem with the Nav unit, any hints on how to proceed?
Harbor Freight Tools sells them for less than $10 but you don't need them to pull the HVAC control.
Old 04-17-16, 02:10 PM
MikeSC430D
Rookie

Not sure if my first attempt at sending a reply worked, so here is a perhaps, repeat or second attempt. The son-in-law and I took on the Nav door about two weeks ago. After determining how to remove the vents, everything went well. Got it out in about 20 minutes. Took it inside for an inspection and found a few loose screws. Tightened all the screws and replaced. That took another 30 minutes or so, perhaps the entire job took an hour, not including prep and cleanup. Upon testing the door: installed closed, immediately opened. After waiting a few minutes and operating the buttons, it began opening and closing on demand. I worked it again today, so all seems well. My question was, does this device have some sort of memory or processor that could account for the initial delay?
Old 04-17-16, 04:51 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Did you unhook the battery when you did the work? If so, the ECU may have had to reset itself, but this is a guess on my part.If someone here knows for sure, hopefully they will chime in with the correct answer

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 Navigation Door