Cracking Sound Behind Vents when Accelerating Cold Engine

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 05:54 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Cracking Sound Behind Vents when Accelerating Cold Engine

Hello,

I have a high mileage 2002 SC430. I have noticed that when I start the engine on a cold morning and start driving right away I hear a distinct "cracking" sound from behind the air vents (dash area) when accelerating. This only occurs when the engine is cold and when I am accelerating, this does not occur when the car is parked (I have not tried revving the engine when the car is parked, since it doesn't seem like a good idea LOL).

A a side note, I do typically move the temperature setting to the max of 85 degrees on cold mornings, but the cracking sound often comes up 5-10 minutes after I change the temperature setting. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?
Old 02-22-12, 08:52 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Sounds like the normal expansion and contraction of materials exposed to rapid temperature change, i.e. ABS plastics, polyethylene insulators, polycarbonate parts versus the colder metal frame/body parts. However, I have not experienced this myself since my car is garaged, and I live in a mild/temperate area close to the ocean.
Old 02-22-12, 02:08 PM
KBALL
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With as many issues as you cite in your posts...it seems you have more than your average number of problems with this vehicle.
Might it be worth unloading and finding a different one if only for piece of mind?
Old 02-23-12, 05:23 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks for the responses. I choose to think that my car does not have more issues than most SC430s, but rather that I am overly thorough (read: paranoid) and investigate every single possibility of something going wrong
Old 02-23-12, 07:29 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
Thanks for the responses. I choose to think that my car does not have more issues than most SC430s, but rather that I am overly thorough (read: paranoid) and investigate every single possibility of something going wrong
Not, IMO, the best way to enjoy one of the most reliable and fun-to-drive (with the top down) cars. Sure it's going to breakdown someday, in some way. It is a complex mechanical device. But in the meantime, and before gas hits north of six bucks a gallon, enjoy the ride with the wind blowing through your hair! Cause before you know it, the ride will be over and your "e-ticket" canceled.
JMO...life is TOO short to be too paranoid.
Old 02-23-12, 05:18 PM
Tex430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '07 model with the same sounds occurring and I can't figure out the cause. I've wondered whether it is related to the heating/cooling system baffles.

Anyone ever explored the baffles/system?
Old 02-23-12, 05:45 PM
jasone36
Instructor

VvtiBob, you certainly bring up valid points. We should enjoy life while we can, and before gas goes north of $6 a gallon

I personally get ~21 MPG, which is reasonable for a V8?
Old 02-24-12, 09:26 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I have the same strange noise from behind the dash when accelerating. . At first it sounded like wooshing fluid going through the system. Now it's more like crackling marbles. I will make an appointment to bring it in to see what it is. It's a 2006 with only 19.3k on it. I purchased it new. I am under the extended warranty for 2 more years.
Old 02-24-12, 09:45 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

abbey
interesting to see what the dealer tells you, keep us informed.

good advice bob.

Last edited by bacardi; 02-24-12 at 09:50 AM.
Old 02-24-12, 10:06 AM
jasone36
Instructor

abbyrd, please do tell us what the dealer shares with you. This would be very useful to know for those of us who don't have any warranty coverage.
Old 02-25-12, 06:22 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

I will but it won't be for a few weeks before I am able to bring it in.
Old 03-17-12, 03:59 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Just to update the people who were interested in this thread. I have an appt on Apr 18 to bring it in for the crackling noises. Tha's the earliest I can bring it in and be there to drive with the tech rather than just dropping it off and let him find it himself.
Old 03-17-12, 07:44 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

abbey
more then likely it will stop doing it do the fact what bob posted. weather getting warm.
Old 03-17-12, 08:54 AM
braheem
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is very common in the 2GS forum.
Old 03-17-12, 01:32 PM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CHECK YOUR COOLANT LEVELS

its because there isn't enough in the system, and you've probably got airlocks and the like.

I had my expansion tank replaced (its slightly different here in the UK to the US) last year and had exactly the same noise.

Just needed topping up, this effectively removed air locks and noise stopped.

Its all to do with the heating/aircon system, sounds like you're accelerating on gravel or dropping a load of marbles - worried me first time I heard.

I googled to find solution,and topped up - which the garage advised me to do anyway as I suspect they were unable to fully bleed.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Cracking Sound Behind Vents when Accelerating Cold Engine