SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Suspension Changes for Comfort

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 03:34 AM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Suspension Changes for Comfort

I live in the UK and have a MY2002 SC430 with a somewhat harsh ride.

I purchased the car about 6 months ago, and changed the RFT's which immediately improved things.

I've driven a MY2003 SC430 and it was so much more comfortable, so know its capabilities.

I also know that during 2002 Lexus UK offered an upgrade to those models already in the UK, and also modified the production run for UK roads - I sort of think my vehicle missed this as it was only fitted if the owner complained.

I have no idea what they did, but it can't have been rocket science (dampers, coils, GEO etc..) or expensive.

Does anyone have the spec of the changes, and what I need to do to implement them on my vehicle ?

Thanks
Old 10-18-11, 11:13 AM
Blast-off
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ser67 There are a few of us from the uk.
I think most of us have added Coilovers to our cars and we can not believe the difference to the car.

I have MeisterR coilovers fitted to my car and had Wheels In Motion Fit and Geo these for me.

Once you have the coilovers on your enjoy the SC430 So much more.

Worth adding an injen to the car as well as this is another nice added feature to the car...

The group of us are meeting at the Acecafe in London on the Saturday 29th of October 10am to 4pm

If you would like to meet us for the day please pm me your reg number and I can add you to the list.
Old 10-19-11, 10:26 PM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I just checked the oem cataloge for Europe.
02 seems to have different springs and shocks from 03-04 part numbers wise.

If you are certain the 03-04 ones are softer and meet your need better, you can get the revised oem version of shocks and springs from your local Lexus dealership.
Or you can meet up with Blast-off and do a test drive to see how you like the MeisterR coilovers.
Old 10-20-11, 12:34 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant believe this! Most SC owners want to tighten up the ride and handling not the other way around!
Old 10-20-11, 01:22 AM
ser67
Rookie

The UK spec for '02 was just too harsh I'm afraid.

The SC is my daily runabout and needs to be more compliant.

The weekend car is a Lotus and I'm sure you can imagine what the handling is like, but this is achieved without loss of comfort and the ride is far more comfortable than the Lexus (or even my old Audi TT)

I test drove the SC '03 and that felt so comfortable, couldn't understand what people were on about with the harsh ride - until I got the '02.......
Old 10-20-11, 02:14 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

I have been in quite a few SC's over here and I have never had a harsh ride yet. The suspension leans towards the "spongecake" end of the spectrum. I'm not aware of any differences in suspension until 04+ however I note another poster mentions there were differences. What tyres and wheels are you running?
Old 10-20-11, 02:59 AM
ser67
Rookie

Original spec alloys, with Cooper Zeon 2XS tyres on.

The car came with a different tyre on each corner - including a fresh new Cooper on the right front - hence cheaper to replace the other 3 with the same.

Not sure how long they will last, as they have a reputation for softness and therefore a short life, still much more comfortable than it came with.

Not sure if you're familiar with the roads in the UK, but if you could imagine a series of pot-holes connected with asphalt then I'm sure you're in the right zone, we also have a lot of road-humps here to combat town traffic speeds. Having been to Japan, Australia and the US the roads there are billiard table smooth in comparison.

The first year (2001 to middle of 2002) of official UK spec vehicles were widely criticised for their ride and Lexus UK eventually recognised this and adjusted production accordingly - offering a retro-fit to anyone who complained and a sticker under the bonnet to say it have been done (similar to the cambelt one). Mine unfortunately missed this.....

So knowing that it can be done with original equipment from Lexus, I just need to find out what it was and how much it would cost me to get done.

Spongecake would be great for mine !!

Cheers
Old 10-20-11, 03:54 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ser67
Not sure if you're familiar with the roads in the UK, but if you could imagine a series of pot-holes connected with asphalt then I'm sure you're in the right zone, we also have a lot of road-humps here to combat town traffic speeds. Having been to Japan, Australia and the US the roads there are billiard table smooth in comparison.
ROTFLMAO! You have clearly never been to Sydney! A Goat track would be an improvement! I go over 18 roadhumps going to the train station and back and that's before the potholes!

I suspect that any suspension changes were more to bring the UK spec SC into line with non-RFT's with are certainly "spongecake" in their suspension (blame the Yanks for that). Doubt whether coil overs would resolve your issues. The OEM approach is probably the way to go.

No experience with Cooper Zeon's. I run Toyo Proxes C1S which are, in my personal experience, one of the best tyres I have ever had. I'm a Michelin and Pirelli fan traditionally
Old 10-20-11, 10:25 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Your description of UK roads reminds me of road conditions in Costa Rica. (Well worded, BTW.)

You might check with your local dealer to see if your car still qualifies for the retro-fit. You never know, you may get lucky or at worst, maybe you can talk them into a major discount.