SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 06:02 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Same here, tried it this weekend, worked like a charm. But I really do not like that Red Light and as a result, put up the qtr windows.

Maybe the best route is to do the qtr windows mod. Involved but I think worth it.
Old 07-25-11, 10:52 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Same here, tried it this weekend, worked like a charm. But I really do not like that Red Light and as a result, put up the qtr windows.

Maybe the best route is to do the qtr windows mod. Involved but I think worth it.
Hi Mandy,

Re: Maybe the best route is to do the qtr windows mod. Involved but I think worth it.

Absolutely! Other than '06 wheels & 'normal' tires, this is the only mod that I have done to my car and am very glad that I did it.

The downside is that you have to pay attention to the order in which you lower/raise the windows. And anyone should explain that to any future owner as it is not in the Owner's Manual.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-25-11, 12:41 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi Mandy,

Re: Maybe the best route is to do the qtr windows mod. Involved but I think worth it.

Absolutely! Other than '06 wheels & 'normal' tires, this is the only mod that I have done to my car and am very glad that I did it.

The downside is that you have to pay attention to the order in which you lower/raise the windows. And anyone should explain that to any future owner as it is not in the Owner's Manual.

Jerry Baumchen
Hello Jerry,

I have been doing my reading of the Part 1 and 2 of the QTR Window Mod threads.

The trunk has to be taken out, relays installed correctly (which we do have a robust DIY and pics) and a pair of wires ran to the front (which means you have to tear down the rear seats, side panels for you to route the wire to the proposed location of the switch nearby the coin holder).

Did I pretty must capture the essence of this DIY? And yes it is worth it to be able to raise, lower the rear window on demand.

Lastly I take it that after this mod, these 2 conditions apply?

1. The Top will not close if the rear windows are up.
2. The Top will not open when the rear windows are down.

The plus if I ever do this will be my ability to check out the antenna set up. I have been itching to see if we can integrate a stubby antenna and dump the telescoping PIA antenna.

Thanks.

Mandy
Old 07-25-11, 03:25 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Jerry,

I have been doing my reading of the Part 1 and 2 of the QTR Window Mod threads.

The trunk has to be taken out, relays installed correctly (which we do have a robust DIY and pics) and a pair of wires ran to the front (which means you have to tear down the rear seats, side panels for you to route the wire to the proposed location of the switch nearby the coin holder).

Did I pretty must capture the essence of this DIY? And yes it is worth it to be able to raise, lower the rear window on demand.

Lastly I take it that after this mod, these 2 conditions apply?

The plus if I ever do this will be my ability to check out the antenna set up. I have been itching to see if we can integrate a stubby antenna and dump the telescoping PIA antenna.

Thanks.

Mandy
Hi Mandy,

Re:

As an Oregonian (with our weather), I actually do not know as I have not had either condition come up. But, on the other hand; I am not going to experiment and find out.

Anyone out there that knows for sure?

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Let me say that I have substantial admiration for those who have done the 1/4 window mod themselves. I am a mostly retired Mech. Engr. who knows very little about modern auto electronics. That, and not wanting to fry the computer, is why I had my mechanic do the mod.

PPS) I also really like the switch that I have in my car (photo in another post) and it is so convenient and yet out of the way, that I have never touched it by accident.
Old 07-28-11, 11:46 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay...so as some of you know...I may be selling my wonderful SC430, but before I do...I'm bringing it to the dealer for one last checkup to square away the trunk lid adjustment as I will not sell my car unless I feel she’s perfect!

Wish me luck!

I will post the outcome...she goes in Monday and I shoudl have her back by Tuesday.
Old 08-03-11, 06:27 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Okay...so it turns out she just needed to be lubed with 3in1 oil. All set!
Old 08-03-11, 07:35 AM
mandyfig

Where to lube? Did they tell you? Need to lube ours. I will check service manual.
Old 08-03-11, 07:50 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Where to lube? Did they tell you? Need to lube ours. I will check service manual.
The gears that the trunk lid motors use and all the metal joints in the metal frames.
Old 08-04-11, 12:04 PM
mandyfig

3 in 1 oil, gotta get some.
Old 08-04-11, 12:05 PM
mandyfig

How do you get these areas exposed so they can be lubricated?
Old 08-04-11, 12:34 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

How do you get these areas exposed so they can be lubricated?
Pull out all the trunk lining or open the top, so the trunk opens and you might be able to get it in the gears at that point before the top goes in the trunk.
Old 08-04-11, 02:32 PM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

My gears are lubricated with white grease, probably lithium. I would not use oil on them.
Old 08-04-11, 06:55 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by iolmaster
My gears are lubricated with white grease, probably lithium. I would not use oil on them.
The 3in1 oil was recommended straight from Lexus Tech support on the phone at corporate.
Old 08-05-11, 05:21 PM
deathstar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3in1 oil is good stuff. i use it on my trail bike.
Old 08-06-11, 06:36 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
The 3in1 oil was recommended straight from Lexus Tech support on the phone at corporate.
I hear you, but given what I see on my gears it is not oil. It is definitely grease. Normally you don not use oil on parts that have little movement like the gears that retract the top.

Quick Reply: Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...