SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 09:06 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. My trunk struts allow the trunk to continue its downward motion if anywhere past 1/2 way on the open function. Never a problem with the top though.

TOXIC
Old 07-16-11, 11:16 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
TalWang,

I don't believe it has anything to do with the trunk struts expanding, but rather staying tightly closed and not allowing the force of the trunk hinge during the open/close process to distort. I also noticed on your pic of your trunk half open it stayed right there. My top would continue to close at that point as the trunk struts are not holding the top of he trunk hinge tightly closed enough.

It still seems a little far fetched for me, but we shall see this weekend. I may have to take video of what is happening to show open/close before and open/close after if there's a noticeable change.

If it doesn't fix the problem then I pretty much just wait for something to break as even as out of alignment as it is...apparently it's not enough to throw a code or keep the top from working.

I'll keep you all posted!
It is sad that none of those who have owned this car for a long time can back me up. lol

The trunk struts are designed to support the trunk lid when you open it from the REAR side.
When the top opens/closes, the trunk lid opens from the FRONT side.
These two mechanisms are independent and have nothing to do with each other.

In fact, you can open the truck from the REAR side and then manually open the covertible top which requires the truck lid to open from the FRONT side at the same time.
The pic below shows how it will look like.
I was in shock and thought the trunk lid was modified when I first saw it years ago. lol

Your trunk lid can't stay up after opening from the FRONT side at halfway probably indicates there is some part that is weakening or out of adjustment in the top opening/closing mechanism under trunk lining or package tray since it appears all the weight lifting are performed by the lower part of the hinges, not struts.

The trunk struts used to open the REAR side of the trunk lid are not part of convertible top opening/closing mechanism because opening the REAR side of the trunk lid is never required during the whole top opening/closing.

The OEM repair manual will definitely makes a note on that if trunk struts have to be in solid condition for the convertible top to work.

I think it is a wrong diagnosis from the dealer till you can prove me wrong. lol

Last edited by talwang; 07-17-11 at 02:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Q7TDI (01-15-17)
Old 07-16-11, 02:19 PM
ShinySC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is a sweet, sweet picture Talwang!! I wish I could "Like" this.
Old 07-16-11, 07:21 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree with Talwang. I don't see how the struts could have anything to do with the top movement. They are only used for openning the trunk from the rear.
Old 07-16-11, 07:43 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Someone needs to volunteer to remove their struts and then open and close the top. Anybody? That would make it an open and shut case!
Old 07-17-11, 11:45 AM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[/QUOTE]

Hi talwang,

That is one amazing photo. And, yes IMO you have proven your point.

However, as a Mech. Engr. that photo scares me. It would not take much of a wind to tweak that mechanism out of alignment; that is a very long moment arm IMO.

But, it still is an amazing photo; I think I would only do that in my garage.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) One can only imagine what the people walking by thought when they saw it like that.
Old 07-17-11, 03:38 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

That's an easy enough test -- the struts come off and should go back on without issue.
If I had a free hour or so, I'd post a video.

My issue has always been the package tray -- very intermittent. Trunk lid will go up without issue in either direction, but the top either won't raise to close, or stalls when opening b/c the system knows the package tray won't lift out of the way. A couple of jiggles after shutting the car off, and it works 90% of the time. Now THAT I'd like to figure out and fix.
Old 07-17-11, 11:11 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by antigeek
That's an easy enough test -- the struts come off and should go back on without issue.
If I had a free hour or so, I'd post a video.
I would suggest against it.

Besides the rear side of the trunk lid, I don't know if or not the upper portion of the hinges also need the struts for other supporting purpose when lower portion of the hinges raise.

If upper hinges also need their support, they may deform as soon as you remove the struts.
Old 07-18-11, 06:08 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Exclamation Update...update...update!!!

Okay...here we go!

First off...Talwang...you are 100% correct...hat off to you! I guess I was just hoping my common sense would be outweighed by the supposed technical experts at Lexus...LOL!

I replaced the trunk struts and though the trunk now opens very nicely...it has done nothing for my issue. I believe there to be cables and other adjustments out of wack that need to be fixed to remedy this problem. I have called back Ira Lexus of Manchester NH and they are getting there "Jig" ready for my car to come down for roof re-alignment provided they don't find something broken. Regardless I feel this will be a very expensive fix and I will just have to suck it up. I did learn a few things and will include some pics.

First pic is of the right, (problematic), trunk hinge. I have circled in red the adjustment screw that seems to fix any slack you may have in the latch for the roof actuated trunk lid.

Second pic shows all that is required to remove your trunk struts. It's very simple and takes maybe 5 minutes. All you need is a regular screwdriver and a long handled broom or shovel to hold the trunk up while you're replacing the struts.

Third pic is from the back side...showing just how out of sync my trunk lid is on the downward motion whether opening or closing the roof. This is after trunk strut replacement…SCARY!
Attached Thumbnails Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...-trunk-lid-issue3.jpg   Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...-trunk-lid-issue2.jpg   Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...-trunk-lid-issue.jpg  
Old 07-18-11, 02:11 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Okay...here we go!

First off...Talwang...you are 100% correct...hat off to you! I guess I was just hoping my common sense would be outweighed by the supposed technical experts at Lexus...LOL!

I replaced the trunk struts and though the trunk now opens very nicely...it has done nothing for my issue. I believe there to be cables and other adjustments out of wack that need to be fixed to remedy this problem. I have called back Ira Lexus of Manchester NH and they are getting there "Jig" ready for my car to come down for roof re-alignment provided they don't find something broken. Regardless I feel this will be a very expensive fix and I will just have to suck it up. I did learn a few things and will include some pics.

First pic is of the right, (problematic), trunk hinge. I have circled in red the adjustment screw that seems to fix any slack you may have in the latch for the roof actuated trunk lid.

Second pic shows all that is required to remove your trunk struts. It's very simple and takes maybe 5 minutes. All you need is a regular screwdriver and a long handled broom or shovel to hold the trunk up while you're replacing the struts.

Third pic is from the back side...showing just how out of sync my trunk lid is on the downward motion whether opening or closing the roof. This is after trunk strut replacement…SCARY!
Hope they can fix it by re-adjusting it instead of telling you to buy a new hinge.
Old 07-19-11, 03:03 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Well I got my car back today from the dealer. Total cost of repairs for the retractable roof: $5,142.35. or should I say ($4,434.35 in parts, $708.00 in labor) Once again I'm feeling really good about buying the extended platinum warranty even though I was having my doubts after two years of ownership.

They told me the hinge broke and they don't know why. They've NEVER seen one do it before. However, they have seen hinge problems on several occasions when the car has been involved in rear or MINOR rear quarter panel collisions. Keep this in mind if you're involved in a fender bender.

I asked for the parts, but was told since the warranty company was paying for the repairs they wanted the parts. I wasn't about to argue for a broken hinge assembly versus them picking up the repair bill.

I've run the top up and down several times since getting it home, to check on fitment in all three dimensions and I can say they got it right. (I did speak with my service manager while the car was in the shop and expressed my concerns about fitment issues. When I picked it up he told me it had been back through quality control once for a fitment/alignment problem.)

I can report two differences. The top does seem to move more smoothly. This may be subjective but it seems this way to me. Secondly, it is very quiet now, almost silent. This IMO is anecdotal. Before there were obvious sounds of moving gears/motors sort of a hummmm.... now it is whisper quiet. I did notice quite a bit of white lithium grease on the main gear and motors on each side. (my fill flash has given it more of bluish tint, but it is white lithium grease)

Now for the more interesting operational stuff.

I learned a new trick for me, maybe some of you already knew about this or installed the DPDT relays to make this operation happen. It's about raising the quarter windows using the top open/close switch using these steps after the top is down.

Beginning state: Top down and all windows down - Ignition off - Key out
  1. Insert key
  2. Turn to ON position
  3. Open Glove Box change the Luggage opener main switch from ON to OFF
  4. Within 10 seconds of step 3 push, hold and release the OPEN switch TWICE
  5. Then within the next 10 seconds, push and hold the CLOSE button and the quarter windows will go up to the closed position.

Now you can drive around with all windows in the up position and reduce wind noise further.

REMEMBER to lower the quarter windows before you close the top. Press the Luggage Opener MAIN SWITCH from OFF to ON AND LOWER the windows by pressing the OPEN button BEFORE closing the retractable roof.
Attached Thumbnails Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...-hinge-1.jpg   Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...-hinge-2.jpg   Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...-hinge-3.jpg  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 07-19-11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-19-11, 07:53 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I learned a new trick for me, maybe some of you already knew about this or installed the DPDT relays to make this operation happen. It's about raising the quarter windows using the top open/close switch using these steps after the top is down.

Beginning state: Top down and all windows down - Ignition off - Key out
  1. Insert key
  2. Turn to ON position
  3. Open Glove Box change the Luggage opener main switch from ON to OFF
  4. Within 10 seconds of step 3 push, hold and release the OPEN switch TWICE
  5. Then within the next 10 seconds, push and hold the CLOSE button and the quarter windows will go up to the closed position.

Now you can drive around with all windows in the up position and reduce wind noise further.

REMEMBER to lower the quarter windows before you close the top. Press the Luggage Opener MAIN SWITCH from OFF to ON AND LOWER the windows by pressing the OPEN button BEFORE closing the retractable roof.
Glad to know you didn't need to pay a dime.

Thanks for the new trick of quarter windows.
I am going to try it tomorrow.
Old 07-20-11, 07:53 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

I contacted my dealer yesterday to see what was taking them so long to get back to me. They are still researching how to use the roof "jig" and making sure they have all the parts as they just took it out of the crate. They have also called their body shop to see if this is something they might be able to fix for cheaper.

In the mean time I have put an offer on a passenger side hinge that comes off a 06 SC430 that was never in an accident. I figured even if the hinge isn’t broken...having the part in hand will give me huge peace of mind knowing how expensive it is new...YIKES!!! Also…in case any of my fellow SC owners have this issue and do need the part…I will have one for REALLY CHEAP!

I will continue to keep everyone updated as to my final resolution, which I hope come before the LuxLink.
Old 07-20-11, 10:45 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts

It is good to hear that it turned out well for you VVTiBob.

Thanks for the 1/4 window trick. I'm definitely going to have to try that!
Old 07-20-11, 11:07 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by Harold57
It is good to hear that it turned out well for you VVTiBob.

Thanks for the 1/4 window trick. I'm definitely going to have to try that!
It works like a charm.

Quick Reply: Retractable Top Issue Resolutions...