SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

starter replacement

Old 04-27-11, 11:17 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default starter replacement

I have a 2003 sc430 that I am 99% certain I needs a new starter. Apparently the starter is located under the intake manifold and a ***** to replace. I got a quote from the local Toyota dealer of $750 with an aftermarket starter.

Anyone taken this job on themselves? At this point my problem is only intermittent so I have some time. I doubt thou it will go away.v
Old 04-27-11, 12:05 PM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
I have a 2003 sc430 that I am 99% certain I needs a new starter. Apparently the starter is located under the intake manifold and a ***** to replace. I got a quote from the local Toyota dealer of $750 with an aftermarket starter.

Anyone taken this job on themselves? At this point my problem is only intermittent so I have some time. I doubt thou it will go away.v
This would be the first I've heard of a starter going...of course I'm no long time member, but have read a lot on this site. I would double check your battery and terminals on your battery for corrosion and/or loose connection.
Old 04-27-11, 12:33 PM
coach1
Pole Position

I have....my first thought as well....Had the battery checked-out, and, cleaned and tightened the terminals. Battery ruled out.

It is an odd reaction. I turn the key to the full on position. All the dash indicator lights come on and I hear a whirr, click from the engine compartment, if I turn the key to start....nothing. Turn the key off, back on....NO whirr or click, turn key to start, starts right up w/strong start. This will happen 3-4 times out of 12 tries. No indication of fuel, ignition or any other problem. My only guess is solenoid which is part of the starter.

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
This would be the first I've heard of a starter going...of course I'm no long time member, but have read a lot on this site. I would double check your battery and terminals on your battery for corrosion and/or loose connection.
Old 04-27-11, 12:37 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

Could be the starter control circuit....the car should be throwing some Diagnostics Trouble Codes which could narrow down the problem area. Or could just be a loose harness with an intermittent connection. Does it do it when its cold AND after its been warmed up?

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-27-11 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-27-11, 01:36 PM
coach1
Pole Position

I see mention of a starter relay. Something like that could be humming when I turn the key to the on position.....or solenoid. When I hear that humming/noise starter does not engage. No noise, starts right up. ????? It will drive me crazy until I get to the bottom of it. Last thing I want is get stranded away from home.
Old 05-01-11, 08:07 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Anyone had to replace their starter? Comments please....symptoms, experience, I the only one?
Old 05-01-11, 08:40 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Let me make sure that I understand your symptoms: You turn the key to ON (not start) and you hear a whir and click? And then when you proceed to turn it to START you get nothing? If this is correct then it doesn't sound like a starter problem. The starter won't have received any signal/voltage to run at this point so the click/whir shouldn't be the starter attempting to engage. Now, if you are turning the key to START and you hear click/whir then, yes, it's sounding like the starter solenoid.
Old 05-01-11, 01:36 PM
coach1
Pole Position

When I hear whirr & click and attempt to start....nothing. Most of the time when I turn the key to full off and re-attempt....NO whirr & click....car starts as normal. I have repeated this and got 4 no starts out of maybe 10, in the garage. I first noticed after I have been out and about on errands.....warm engine...jumped in the car, turned the key, nothing, re-tried starts fine ???
Old 05-01-11, 01:49 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm sorry to be so dense but: You turn the key to ON (not start) and you hear a whir and click? And then when you proceed to turn it to START you get nothing?
Old 05-01-11, 01:52 PM
momssc
Driver

Don't sound like a starter problem. Maybe the Key switch.
Old 05-01-11, 02:57 PM
coach1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
I'm sorry to be so dense but: You turn the key to ON (not start) and you hear a whir and click? And then when you proceed to turn it to START you get nothing?
That exactly right...full on....that sound....if I turn the key to engage the starter there is no response. So what I have been doing is turning the full on, full off, if it is quite I know it will probably start. I'm afraid that one of these times it will stick in this mod and not start at all. I do think I will see if a Toyota dealer will check it for error code. I'm sure the starter motor is ok, unless it is shorting out. The solenoid is part of the starter, it could be making that noise......then I saw something about a start circuit relay, that could be chattering, I have not idea where that may be. This is my reason for soliciting help. I'm at a loss and a new starter which includes the solenoid costs $750 installed....I would like to think it is simple or go away.

Last edited by coach1; 05-01-11 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-01-11, 08:21 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

If you are so sure it is the starter, you can order one online and find a repair shop to install it.
A new oem starter should cost you only a little more than $200. Try carson toyota or sewell.
Old 05-02-11, 09:37 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Problem is I'm not sure. The part is not that expensive. Installation is a *****. It is located behind the intake manifold....total cost is $750 at Toyota and not much less at the independent shop.
Old 05-02-11, 11:45 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

the official Lexus/Toyota Labor Time for sc430 starter replacement is 3.2 hour.
Of course there is a difference.
It would be at least 2 hundred dollars difference unless the independent shop is charging the dealer rate.
You save $100+ by ordering the parts from sewell alone.

You more likely won't get a correct diagnosis here since it could be something else.

Name:  starter.jpg
Views: 2038
Size:  71.8 KB

Last edited by talwang; 05-02-11 at 08:59 PM. Reason: adding sewell link
Old 05-02-11, 02:03 PM
momssc
Driver

Just wondering, does the intake have any water running through it? If not then this installation should not be a major problem .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: starter replacement