SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

LOOKING FOR HELP with high beam HID CONVERSION

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-09, 02:11 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LOOKING FOR HELP with high beam HID CONVERSION

Hey guy, like the title states, im looking to replace the bulbs in the 2004 sc430 with HID's. Looking for some recomendations!!

2004 SC430.
Bulbs CLOSEST to the radiator, the largest opening in the headlamp housing.
I believe they are day runners/high beams

My questions are:
what size are they? (9005? 9006? h3?)
and what do you recommend? (brand, etc)

also, HOW DO I turn off the DAY TIME RUNNERS???? I hate them.
thanks

OH!!! and has anyone done any kind of HALO/ANGEL EYE/DEMON EYE conversions?

thanks
joe
Old 12-10-09, 03:29 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

From what I understand the only way to do it is have the factory turn off the DRL through the computer settings. Then you can change out the 9005 bulbs. You can't run HID's as DRL either.
Old 12-10-09, 03:38 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the dealer can turn them off in the c-best settings. it only takes a minute, so they should do it for free.
Old 12-10-09, 07:12 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

why wouldnt i be able to run HID's where my 9005's go? and we are sure its 9005?
Old 12-10-09, 08:05 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't run them if your DRL function is not turned off. Not going to go into the science of how a HID ballasts works.
Old 12-11-09, 08:02 PM
scdroptop

Received 47 Likes on 22 Posts

I am in the middle of this experiment right now.

I saw your other post about the bumper or wheel well liner. That's the only way to get to the fogs and 68 bulbs.

The DRL's (high beam) are 9005. You can TRY (I am experimenting) an assortment of different import 9005 bulbs-be careful voltage is same 35W I believe and try the best combination of price and color temperature. I have some 8000 bulbs in there right now and I am not crazy about the look. Got rid of the ugly yellow look, but now I have a crystal look that is not HID looking enough for me. I am now trying LED bulbs which are what I did in my 2002 and loved them. I will end up with these most likely.

Stay away from the very expensive Sylvania "star" series bulbs that can be up to $50 at auto parts store. Stick with the nice cheap 9005 bulbs on line. Halo makes some good ones (no halo look though) and a TON of others. Do a search for 9005 HID or 9005 10000 or 12000 and you will see a plethora.

I would also try same voltage 10000 bulbs instead of 8000 and perhaps they will look more HID. Bottom line, unless you do the HID kit, you are not going to get real HID, just a cheaper alternative. I am looking for that right now.

So far I've got about $60 invested in two sets of bulbs, some scrapes on my hand, a few broken trim clips but it's been a fairly easy job getting to them.

See my other posts---do a search for DRL upgrade. You will see my 2002 with the LED they look pretty sweet!!! Can't find them again for my 2005 otherwise they would already be in there. Found some others that advertise they are "just like" HID and match closely with stock HID low beams, so I am trying them.

A good HID kit will run a couple of hundred, and more time to install, placement of the ballasts, etc. Not sure how hard the install actually is, but to me bulbs seemed much easier and cheaper to try and duplicate the look.

Sounds like you are busy!!! Keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 12-14-09, 12:59 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

I have LED bulbs, but lets rememeber LED shine NO LIGHT onto the road. i have fx35 headlamps in my lap and i am considering doing a retrofit on the projectors and putting a set of projectors on the high beam side.
wish me luck. if not, i migth put the LED in for now. but my lamps are already apart. so why not
Old 12-14-09, 06:13 PM
scdroptop

My LED's on my 02 were great...I have some 68SMD's coming in the mail today to put in my 05. I have upgrade lighting sitting on my bench for my FX too! Tough to get to fogs

I think I have used my high beams explicitly to flash people for cops or people who need to learn how to drive in the past ten years. I used to live more rural about 12 years ago and used them all the time. Nowadays with fogs and all the great HID low beams, I really don't care if my high beams are retrofitted to look HID with LED bulbs with low light output on the road. I hate the nasty yellow DRL's!!!! Yellow DRL DEATH I declare!

langsdale-you and i may be the only fx/sc duo on the forum? Didn't know you had a FX. What year? mine is a 09 black with cappucino (dark brown) 22" verde kaos chrome with yoko parada spec-x 245/45/22 all way around. Nav, tech, premium...paddles and cooled seats...music box about all filled up!!! one year on my 3 year lease done. Daily beater

I had a 2003 FX35 silver/black sport package ran strong till about 80k then had a bunch of wear and tear stuff scare me and I decided to dump her finally at 92k for $14k eBay
Old 12-15-09, 01:10 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

HAHAHA, i had an 03 fx 35. get this, sport package, no nav, sold it to an overseas wholesaler in 08 with 95k and still got 19 grand. rediculous. i have about 2 dozen fx headlamps and tail lamps for sale if you know anyone looking.
LOVE the new fx by the way. if yo uhave pics of your 02 with the leds, let me see. i am not sure but i dont want to put this headlamp back together and realize too late that i made the wrong choice.

hmmm, projector housings with led guts... might not be a bad idea. i never thought of that.....
any ideas?
joe
Old 12-15-09, 10:59 PM
scdroptop

yeah, I see where you are going. No pics of my FX with LEDs just the SC had them. I was always happy with the 03 headlights and I did the rear tail conversion to the 2006+ sport (clear tails).

Wow...you got a hell of a deal on your 03 sport for that. Must have been 4x4 and some other options. Mine was base with sport wheels, pedals, etc. 92k for $14k to a guy who had an overseas business based out of RI/MA area. Car carrier came and picked up and he wired the money. No problems. But, wow...an 03 selling for $19k with 95k miles is the sale of a lifetime!

Here is the DRL link to my 02:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...low-light.html

For your FX parts, sell them on eBay or www.infinitifx.org I am silverbullet username on there (my 03 was silver).

Last edited by scdroptop; 12-15-09 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 06:47 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

ok, FOLLOW ME ON THIS ONE:

here is what im THINKING about doing. i took the PROJECTOR housings from the FX35.
im getting shrouds off line to surround them
im going to CUT the backs off of them and retrofit them to the high beam bowl with the stock 9005 bulb or led bulb still in tact
going to fish it inside the projectro globe and see how that looks

do you follow? might still do ccfl rings or led rings around both. im still toying with the idea. so ill have a day time "projector" that looks nice and finished.

lets see
Old 12-16-09, 09:59 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Perhaps not all the sc430 members know what you are talking about.
If you are doing a retrofit, you should add the real HID bulbs and ballasts to complete the game.

Putting 9005 led bulbs defeats the purpose unless you want to spend thousands doing the LS600H LED headlight conversion.

Since you are building a show car, I think CCFL rings are some nice additions.
The HID highbeam retrofit will look a lot nicer if you have the 06+ kouki headlights to start with, but it is just my opinion.

Here is a pic of the true HID highbeam retrofit with ccfl rings on the zenki headlights.

Old 12-16-09, 07:09 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

im pulled the FX projectors out of the housings today and i thinki can make them work. i painted the chrome insert already to match the paint, so lets see how it turns out. im going to play with it friday so wish me luck.
thanks
joe
Old 12-16-09, 09:39 PM
scdroptop

wow....you guys are amazing on this lighting stuff. truly amazing! Wow! I know my limits---and this is clearly way beyond it!!!! If you ever are in Dallas and want to make a ton of money doing lighting upgrades, CALL ME UP!!!!
Old 12-17-09, 09:36 AM
langsdale
Pole Position

dont put me on a pedistool yet. i havent finished yet. i need a shroud to fit the hole first, but i disassembled the fx lamps (ruining them forever, i might add), only because i have a few dozen laying around. i am going to do SOMETHING with this headlamp, its already in 3 pieces. i dont have a choice. but im shooting for something SIMILAR to the photo above, but i might fill in the new projector with just an LED. it wont shoot light only the road, but it will light up bright and look nice. i might wire rings in as well.
wish me luck.

OH, and update, the car MIGHT be out of final paint this month. haha. so ill give you guys a peak of the new kit available for our cars. you will lose it.
joe

Quick Reply: LOOKING FOR HELP with high beam HID CONVERSION