SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 07:43 AM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
You're lucky, that's a great price. If I knew that, I would've asked you to see if they had any reverse light discounts lol http://store.ijdmtoy.com/40-SMD-7440..._t20_sku31.htm
It's 10% off if you do local pickup and it's 15% off if you buy online with JDMFAN promo code, too bad these don't stack

Also red, where'd you get your stubby antenna and how do you install it?
Old 12-10-11, 05:19 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the help. After spending a couple of hours on this forum, I decided to do the mod myself. It was very confusing at times reading all the posts. Trying to put the pieces together how to do this. All the information is already posted, but here it is one more time with all/most of the details.

daytime running light (DRL); The stock OAM DRL, or daytime running lights are the dim yellow lights(3v) you see during the daytime. The bulb is model 9005. This same bulb is used as your high beam when you headlights are on. When you turn on your headlights, the DRLs turn off. If you select high beams, they come on, but brighter due to more volts (14volts). Most high beams Ive seen in other cars have a two filaments in the bulb. One filament lights up in low beam, both light up in high beam. Which is why you sometimes have high beams, when your low beam has burned out. This stock OAM bulb is different. One filament. Low voltage its a DRL, high voltage its a high beam.

The NEW LED bulbs I bought only operate at one intensity, in both DRL and High Beam mode. Id say about a 5 with 2 being DRL mode and 10 being high beam mode. At night time, you basically dont have high beam intensity anymore. You can still turn on your new LED high beams, but they wont be as bright as your old yellers. You can still "flash" your high beams, but they arent as bright as normal high beams

9005 bulb (DRL): The stock OEM filament bulbs in daytime DRL mode 3 volts, in high beam mode 14 volts

I purchased LED 9005 bulbs AND decoders from MOTORINGMAX on ebay for $ 60

http://stores.ebay.com/MotoringMax?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I just searched for "SC430 9005 LED"

They are "Item: 68-SMD 9005 #45 +R4"

The 68-SMD 9005 are the bulbs, the R4 is the decoder kit for the SC430

SMD stands for Surface Mount Device. I guess there are 68 LEDs on the bulb.

Make sure you get the decoder unit for each bulb.

No cutting required. The decoder plugged into the car wire harness. red to red. black to black. The LED bulb plugs into the decoder harness. No cutting, plug and play.

So far it appears that the bulbs operate at one intensity, regardless if they are powered in DRL mode, or high beam mode. So I guess I will have very bright DRLs. No worries, when you turn your headlights on, they turn off until you select high beam.

The picture is taken at night, with the headlights off, in DRL mode. Its obvious which bulb is which, new/old.

Install:

Passenger side:
tools: phillips screw driver + 10mm socket with 6" extension
remove air filter cover and filter (4 clips)
remove 4 bolts with 10mm socket holding bottom of filter box
loosen band strap with screwdriver.
unplug electric connector on top of air filter.
thast basically it to get to the 9005 passenger side bulb. Turn counterclockwise 1/4 turn to unlock it, then CAREFULLY remove. The new LED bulb will just barely fits inside the hole of he headlight housing. At first I thought it was too big, but realized I wasnt putting it in straight enough

Drivers Side:
This side was a little harder if you have large hands, but no tools are required. You just need to reach in, twist a quarter to CCW to unlock the bulb. Getting the new LED in was hard if you have large hands. You have to push and turn at the same time. Best to find a male friend with small hands. Its nearly impossible to "feel" where the 3 locking lugs go. Best to look inside the gap behind the bulb housing and see where the 3 lugs go. Then PUSH and twist CW to lock in. Try to lock it in so the wires are down, at the 6 oclock position. 3 oclock when its unlocked going in.

Note: when plugging the LED bulb into the decoder male plug, there is a right and wrong way. Look at the male plug and you will see a bump. The bump goes into a slot inside the female end on the bulb. If you plug them in upside down, they will not go all the way into the socket.
Attached Thumbnails Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?-dscn3023.jpg   Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?-dscn3026.jpg  

Last edited by JeffTexas7; 12-11-11 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-17-11, 12:14 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great write up - that is just what I was trying to understand after reading all these posts. I read another member that decided to go with the HID conversion so he wouldn't lose his high beams. IYO are the DRL LED's useful or good enough for a high beam? I rarely use my high beams though other than for a quick flash.
Old 12-17-11, 02:45 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

IMO the LED's are just fine for the high beam-like you I rarely, rarely use them. I should be getting my decoders any day now and my new 6000k low beams and I will install and post pics with no flicker and all HID/LED up front now! I guess in back too, LOL.
Old 12-17-11, 04:36 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed mine last week and just to add another tip on JeffTexas7 great DIY, before you insert the new LEDs into their new home, turn them on BEFORE you install them to make sure the polarity is correct. You don't want to put them in and then realize they don't work.
Old 01-09-13, 02:05 PM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

I miss scdroptop...but I too will tackle this LED conversion!
Old 01-09-13, 09:14 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is scdroptop anyway?

A tip - when I did my DLR's I plugged them into the cable laying loose in the space where the airbox goes (removed for this upgrade). With battery only all the LED's did not light up and I thought the LED unit was defective. They worked fine with the motor running. I later learned that I had a 7yr old battery on it's last leg!
Old 01-22-13, 09:36 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

scdrotop is taking a little break. He's doing well.