SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-10, 01:29 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

You CAN have the DRL set to off by using the CBEST settings.
Old 11-19-10, 01:44 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Drl lights

I purchased a set of the DRL lights from IJDTOY along with the R4 decoder units.
My tech at Lexus agreed to put them on for a lunch to be........and we found that the DIY sheet said match red to red wire. I guess they mixed the wires up as the connectors would not do the color match. We tried it anyways and the light lit perfect but was getting hotter than we expected.

I told him to put the OEM units back in and contacted Toy.......who said to splice the mixed up wires and secure with tape??????????????

Did any of you guys have this problem with the decoders ?

Are the decoders needed and if so what is their purpose ?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-10, 09:56 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

I did not use decoders and my bulbs run nice and cool!

Little flicker when car first starts up then after bulb is on for a few it goes away
Old 11-20-10, 06:08 AM
FALCON1
Driver

Smile

THAT is great news SCDROPTOP.

We tried them and as you said they worked.................now to have my tech schedule some more time..............TOY wants me to call them next week so I will ask them the actual need for this little box.........appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-21-10, 10:27 PM
JeffTexas7
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCDROPTOP that looks great, Im ready to buy them on ebay.

White 68-SMD 9005 LED DRL Lights Lexus IS250 IS350 #45

However, Im not clear about the DRL and high beam part. What do they do in the daytime in DRL mode, and what happens at night when you hit the high beams? Do you lose the high beam function with these? Maybe you already mentioned it. Basically, I want to have both. DRL and high beams, with a white or white blue look. Where I live out in the sticks, I need the DRL and the high beams. DRL for the the F-350s, and high beams for the deer, possum and raccoons. I cant wait to buy these.
Old 11-22-10, 07:08 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FALCON1
THAT is great news SCDROPTOP.

We tried them and as you said they worked.................now to have my tech schedule some more time..............TOY wants me to call them next week so I will ask them the actual need for this little box.........appreciate the feedback.
Some lights don't flicker too much when they install the JDMs without the decoder. Mine, on the other hand, flickered A LOT, like a strobe light. So I bought and installed the decoder, and it cut back on the flickering. I had to do some cutting and splicing because JDMs lights don't fit their R4 decoder socket, go figure lol
Old 11-22-10, 09:19 PM
FALCON1
Driver

I finally called IJMTOY today. Customer / Tech guy knew the problem existed with the Decoder wiring and advised me -

1. IF the DRL lights install w/o the decoder and do not flicker there is no
problem in leaving the unit out of the wiring .

2. Since the decoder maker ( Chinese ) mixed up the sequence he recommends just connecting the red to red and even though the clips will not mate they can be secured with tape. If the decoder fails or burns out then they will send me a new set ??????????

Decoder failure will not harm the lights or electrical system.

I sent the text down to the Lexus tech for next weeks re install..............

Thank God the Chinese do not wire homes ...............Guess the Germans should makek a trip to China and teach these boys some things about doing it right the first time.
Old 11-28-10, 12:13 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by FALCON1
I finally called IJMTOY today. Customer / Tech guy knew the problem existed with the Decoder wiring and advised me -
so they knew that problem already, why are they still selling it?
my vleds unit is also made in china, no issue.
Old 12-08-10, 11:04 AM
FALCON1
Driver

Finally had my Lexus tech install the lights yesterday, he tracked me down in the showroom and brought me back to the tech bay.............lights even with the decoder flickered.............not on hi beam but just in the DRL position.........go figure.
Nice lights and look but wonder why the flickering when hooked up correctly as seller said still are not static.
Old 12-08-10, 07:43 PM
scdroptop

Received 48 Likes on 22 Posts

Falcon-could just be those particular bulbs. These really are DIY, why don't you get your money back and try another pair? I got lucky I guess, but mine do flicker a little when the car first starts up or for a little while when it's cold. I don't notice it.
Old 12-08-10, 08:57 PM
FALCON1
Driver

Point taken , problem is that the tech did them with a service on the QT and I do not want to raise any questions of why he is doing them over......guess I can live with the flickering........they sure can be seen from a distance v the factory units.....and in Atlanta the more visibility the nutso drivers see you before pulling out the better...........maybe the flickering will fool them into thinkings is a State Patrol unmarked car from afar.
Old 01-31-11, 01:40 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

scdroptop could you post again the link from ebay that you used to purchase your DRL light?

The link that was posted earlier doesn't take me to the bulb, thanks.
Old 01-31-11, 06:38 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Make an offer for around $42, he'll come down in price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_8992wt_909
Old 01-31-11, 07:36 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
Make an offer for around $42, he'll come down in price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_8992wt_909
Ah thanks, iJDMToy is near my area about ~30 mins away, so I'll just pickup my order and they are having a DRL 30% sale with the decoder for about $40.

Hop on it nowwww! (I think it ends tonight).
Old 02-01-11, 05:10 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

You're lucky, that's a great price. If I knew that, I would've asked you to see if they had any reverse light discounts lol http://store.ijdmtoy.com/40-SMD-7440..._t20_sku31.htm

EDIT: For future buyers: I don't recommend getting iJDMtoy. Seems like they are the same quality as the cheap LEDs sold on eBay. I bought several LEDs from iJDMtoy and had a couple that don't work out of the package. eBay sells the same SMD LEDs for a fraction of the price

Last edited by redliner8; 05-17-11 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Light (DRL) Upgrade Done...Mixed Reviews by Me...What do y'all think?