SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-02, 11:10 AM
sc4304me
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation Update

I spoke with Lexus this week and was informed that there was a fee of $495 to have the Navigation Update installed.

Having to pay $495 to have an update that should be included for free is outrageous. All they do is give you a DVD that other companies like Acura give you the first rew for free.

To make matters worse, I also have a 2001 LS 430 so it is about $1000 just to get more accurate maps!

I urge all to contact Lexus customer service and complain about this. I did and was told they would call me back in 2 or 3 days on a decision if they will give me the upgrade for free. Still waiting on the call back, and it has been 3 days.
Old 04-10-02, 11:15 AM
LexPro
Pole Position

I believe you have to pay for it. It used to be free, one or two updates I think on the CD based models. However I am sure there will be a way to get a burned copy sooner or later.
Old 04-10-02, 11:52 AM
JHaverland
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Good luck - I too am arguing with my dealer. We bought a 02 SC430 and an 02 LS430 last November. The SC has last years nav data, the LS this years. Been trying to get them to provide a free upgrade for the SC, but no luck so far.

Also, re making copies of existing discs - I looked into this thinking I could copy the discs from my LS and put them into the SC. Since the discs are multi-layer, takes a special burner to make them. What's available in the consumer world for DVD burners will not do it.

Regards . . . John
Old 04-10-02, 06:57 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

yeah its pretty outrageous. my new gs is in the shop gettin the update done.
Old 04-10-02, 08:07 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Toog4me
yeah its pretty outrageous. my new gs is in the shop gettin the update done.
You're 15????????????????
Old 04-10-02, 08:53 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Now I'm confused

So there IS a NAV update? I had thought from previous posts that none was available.

Of course I agree that to charge me $495 to update my model year 2002 car which came with year 2000 Nav is not-acceptable. I'm pleased to hear that an update is available - now I certainly think those of us with model year 2002 vehicles should get free updates. Not sure what is fair for older cars but $495 sure seems steep.

I will be calling my dealer Thursday and will let everyone know what I learn.
Old 04-10-02, 09:13 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

15? nah.. oh... i didnt put in my real bday.. i just put in a random date, i dont know why though. my real b day is in jan.
Old 04-10-02, 09:39 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Both cars are black on black... kinda boring to have to black on blacks, but there really nice...

yeah, jim faulk of bh is updating it for free, but chargin 900 to replace my mirror.
Old 04-11-02, 05:45 AM
pot_head
Driver

damn...i really wish i had a nav in my SC. im going to an audio shop tomorrow and see what they can do for me....
Old 04-11-02, 07:03 AM
sc4304me
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by genearch
I think you need to keep thing in perspective. I spoke to my dealer and while they are charging for the upgrade (which I have no problem with) They will tell you what specifically has been updated. Since I live in California and most frequently remain in the state, I could care less what was updated in rural Buffalo, NY.

With the list published 3/27/02 the following areas in California have been updated.

Fresno
San Luis Obispo
Bakersfield
San Francisco

If it's important enough for you to have this update, step up to the plate and spend the $499.99. My course of action will be to wait for something that really matters. I'll most likely update every 2nd or 3rd revision.

Regardless of what other manufacturers do, I feel Lexus "owes" us nothing.
Sorry but when you spend this type of cash for a car, I expect more from Lexus, then charging a fee for the update. I had higher expectations from Lexus. I would not complain if 1) they at least gave 1 update 2) if the map was up to date, having a 2000 map is not acceptable. In addition many areas in CA are not covered, when I compare this to the Alpine that was in my Acura the areas were covered and the updates were free!
Old 04-11-02, 10:45 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default The plot thickens

Called my dealer and scheduled the "upgrade" to the NAV - they didn't know pricing but I alerted them to the idea that any price greater than zero would generate an angry customer.

Decided to call Lexus Customer Service to state the same feelings and was told that THERE IS NO UPGRADE AVAILABLE for the SC430 at this time. According to the person I spoke to, there is an update available (2nd generation he called it) for some models - but not the SC430. He claims it is replacing software that was from the "original" nav systems dating back as far as 1998.

Clearly there is confusion here.

Any body know what reality is?

Update 30 minutes later....Dealer called me with part number [8680712010] and price $500...so its back to Lexus Corporate....

Last edited by Knicksfan; 04-11-02 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-11-02, 11:09 AM
sc4304me
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: The plot thickens

Originally posted by Knicksfan
Called my dealer and scheduled the "upgrade" to the NAV - they didn't know pricing but I alerted them to the idea that any price greater than zero would generate an angry customer.

Decided to call Lexus Customer Service to state the same feelings and was told that THERE IS NO UPGRADE AVAILABLE for the SC430 at this time. According to the person I spoke to, there is an update available (2nd generation he called it) for some models - but not the SC430. He claims it is replacing software that was from the "original" nav systems dating back as far as 1998.

Clearly there is confusion here.

Any body know what reality is?

I attached a fax from my dealer.

[I edited this post to reduce the picture size, it's just too large.]
Attached Thumbnails Navigation Update-fax.jpg  

Last edited by Manaray; 04-28-02 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-11-02, 11:38 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Angry Now I'm really MAD

Thanks for sharing the fax. Here's what Lexus Customer Services (LCS) says:

-they are not "recommending" the upgrade for current SC430 owners because they expect another update when the 2003 model appears. What I "hear" is that they realize they should give this away but if we "wait" until 2003 then it might be "justified" to charge us $500.

-another reason to "wait" according to LCS - they are receiving many complaints about the upgrade cost (I'm shocked!) and they are hoping to be able to offer the 2003 upgrade "at a more reasonable price"

-finally -and this was what sent me over the line- the customer service rep WHO WOULD NOT GIVE HIS NAME - told me I should have seen/realized that the NAV software was 2 years old when I bought the car! I am speechless about this absurd assumption and can't believe this is coming from Lexus.

I told the rep that my next action was to write to Danny Clements (Lexus GM) and he said he would talk to my dealer and "discuss my case".

I am fuming.

Old 04-11-02, 07:12 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

Trust me, ive been trying for so long to get a digital camera... Nikon sent me a coolpix and it was damaged, so had to return it, and it still hasnt arrived.... i was thinking of going to get a normal one from bestbuy but i dont want to untill i get my money back... i have pics of my sc stock when i first bought it if you want pics of that... but dont think you do!!!!!!

Sorry! First thing im doing is building a site for my cars, Pearl and Maya!!!
Old 04-11-02, 08:27 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Toog.....you're 15 and have two Lexus vehicles. There is this thing in law, when someone lies once their credibility goes out the window regardless of how honest they are. Very funny gene....seems like you dont believe him either, clever I must say the way you tried to bait him, but since his digital camera is on blah blah blah.

As for the navigation if you live in an area as I do, NYC suburbs I think getting an update is more so a "i need the latest thing" type attitude rather then a necessity. Even if it were $200 why would you watse the money if you are already in the system and the roads are accurate? Now to update it to the LS models voice activated one........thats a different story.

Quick Reply: Navigation Update