SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Front Height Sensor

Old 04-20-09, 08:28 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Front Height Sensor

Went to the shop this weekend and had my car on a lift..I notice metal part hanging loosely on the front left wheel area... I ask the mechanic and was told that this was the Height Sensor that need to be replaced. Can someone tell me what exactly the Height Sensor is and what does it do?. Thanks!
Old 04-20-09, 08:39 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From my understanding the front and rear height sensor is for the auto-level headlights. I can't imagine it would be hard to find a used one and replace it yourself. I know I had to bend my back when I installed my front shocks. Its a pretty simple sensor..
Old 04-20-09, 08:50 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks hipendicul... that can be it because i have the headlight warning on my dash lit up.. now the questions is.. where can i get one used? dealer list at $397.00.. OUCH.. any help would be much appreciated!
Old 04-21-09, 08:16 AM
KiNg430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icenpinki
thanks hipendicul... That can be it because i have the headlight warning on my dash lit up.. Now the questions is.. Where can i get one used? :d dealer list at $397.00.. Ouch.. Any help would be much appreciated!

on ebay theres a yard parting out a black sc430, im sure this sensor is still on there. Write them a message on any one of their auctions and ask them for it and price, you might have to send them a picture.
Old 04-21-09, 10:07 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-22-09, 09:38 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Over here in Tree hugging norther california is a car guys dream come true. A place just north of Sacramento called Rancho Cordova or one big salvage yard. I stop off there when I go to Lake Tahoe and get free shipping.. =) Anyways if these guys don't have it then your out of luck. Their website seems to be down and merged with everyone else's out there but the place is huge and I've bought a lot of stuff for my old Mr2 there..

Here's the website.. http://www.taprecycling.com/ Give them a call.

Its just a thought but my height sensor looks alot like the ones that were on my cousins GS400. So if it is, then there should be thousands of them out there.. You may want to ask
Old 01-20-15, 08:17 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Ice, did you replace yours? Mine is starting to fail also! Would prefer a DIY rather than Lexus, which is charging an arm and leg in shop time. Any advice?
Old 01-20-15, 04:52 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IcEnPinKi
Went to the shop this weekend and had my car on a lift..I notice metal part hanging loosely on the front left wheel area... I ask the mechanic and was told that this was the Height Sensor that need to be replaced. Can someone tell me what exactly the Height Sensor is and what does it do?. Thanks!
See this thread for more on the same issue: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...r-failing.html
Old 01-20-15, 06:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks Digger, I started that other thread. I'm still looking for either DIY or a schematic on how and where the part is located to judge whether I can do it myself or MUST have it done professionally. Any advice?
Old 01-20-15, 07:50 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ShawnOk
Thanks Digger, I started that other thread. I'm still looking for either DIY or a schematic on how and where the part is located to judge whether I can do it myself or MUST have it done professionally. Any advice?
I have the factory service manuals at home (and the electrical one as well) for my model year (08) but I can't see that it would be too different. If no one posts something before that, I'll look to see what's in the manual for this. Looks from the parts diagram that it's behind the wheel well liner so likely not terribly difficult to access but there may be something to calibrate it for level. The manual should have the details.
Old 01-21-15, 09:39 AM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Thanks Jim, looking forward to your post and the diagram if nothing gets posted before that.
Old 01-22-15, 06:39 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Okay, here are the pics of the leveler install instructions and the headlight aiming instructions. If these don't work well here I can PDF them and send them to you.

Page 1 of 3

Page 2 of 3

Page 3 of 3

Headlight aiming - Page 1 of 2

Headlight aiming - Page 2 of 2
Old 03-25-15, 09:34 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Jim, I just realized I never said thank you for these posts! I thought I did! Sorry and thanks so much! I really do appreciate it mucho!