SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)
View Poll Results: How does the grille look in black?
Yes, looks good
53.85%
No, return it to stock
46.15%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Blacked out grille? What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-09, 05:05 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blacked out grille? What do you think?

Hello,

After finishing my roof and rear diffuser in black I felt as though something was missing from the front so I blacked out the grille. What does everyone think? yay or nay?

TIA

-Tommy

Old 01-23-09, 05:45 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nay for me.. Looks a little.. Too.. well... like it's missing.

And the jury was out on the black roof from the first post I saw but I have to say nay to the black roof also.. The black roof doesn't flow with the windshield and makes the back window look huge/weird.

But I like the blacked out diffuser/rear bumper. Wish I could do that on my car..

I painted the trim on my grill black and was seriously thinking about painting the grill on my car too.. But after its all said and done, I think I'm gonna put my grill back stock. I hate having the black chipping and I never did fully rub out that black under my grill.. =(
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out grille?   What do you think?-03192008062a.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 01-23-09 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-23-09, 09:40 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm on the fence. i like that it's different. but it also looks a little like it's missing. if you like it, i'd keep it. but if you're having doubts, i'd try something else.
Old 01-23-09, 10:36 PM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Not bad!

I think you wouldn't have pulled it off this well if you had a dark colored car. The white exterior paint makes a good contrast with the black grills.

I would add a Griffin or Lexus emblem on the center of the grill though, as it intensifies the grill's presence.

I used to be in the same dilemma with choosing blacked out or chrome grills for my BMW. The best solution turned out to be keeping one of each handy. You can always switch between the two should your mood strikes.

Jon
Old 01-23-09, 10:42 PM
CAMAracer
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm....looks kinda like an R8.

Check that, looks like Snoopy!

Last edited by CAMAracer; 01-24-09 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-24-09, 12:25 AM
deadeyed
Rookie

very nice!!

I did similar thing to my car too.
Attached Thumbnails Blacked out grille?   What do you think?-clipboard001.jpg  
Old 01-24-09, 05:39 AM
FLYINGFUN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it! However I am kind of a anti-chrome kind of a guy. Might be a little concerned about chipping as well.
Old 01-24-09, 06:19 AM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think with a body kit (front sides and back) would work very well. Would give it a much more aggressive look to make it all flow.
Old 01-24-09, 03:06 PM
Jackalope
Pole Position

I'd leave the Chrome outline and black out the center, then put the emblem back so it would float in the middle.

Then you have the best of both worlds; it's not "missing" and it's not a boatload of chrome.
Old 01-24-09, 04:57 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jackalope
I'd leave the Chrome outline and black out the center, then put the emblem back so it would float in the middle.

Then you have the best of both worlds; it's not "missing" and it's not a boatload of chrome.
Agreed.
Old 01-24-09, 07:32 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

it might look cool if you were to leave the surrounding moulding black, paint the grill white and put a black lexus logo on it.
Old 01-25-09, 09:41 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackalope

I painted had the grille, the bumper portion, the silver part of the emblem holder, and left the "chrome" parts exposed to get effect that Jackalope has stated. I thought it looked great because it left the chrome parts exposed to match the chrome parts throughout the car.
Old 01-26-09, 07:24 AM
02Ku
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm usually a fan of painting the front grill of a car black to match the car, but in my case, i have always had a dark car. Currently on my SC (Emerald Green - whatever color it is called), my front grill is painted to match the rest of the car.

I have seen a white volvo c70 with what you have done and it looks good on that car. But for some reason on your pic, it just looks off. I suggest painting it white. It will add a little more character. The black roof looks great, but having the grill black actually makes the roof look bad. My opinion but hope it helps.

get a body kit, paint grill white, maybe even paint the headlights white...you will have a one of a kind sc. Regardless, your sc looks great as it is.
Old 01-26-09, 07:48 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Check these out..

Old 01-26-09, 05:00 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

I think your car looks nice, but I think if you left the upper and lower trim pieces chrome it would look better.
Kind of looks like nothing is there at all, like an open space. Maybe that's what you were trying to achieve, but my guess is you wouldn't have posted if that was the case.
My $.02

Quick Reply: Blacked out grille? What do you think?