SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

VSC/VSC OFF/ABS Indicators

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 09:49 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VSC/VSC OFF/ABS Indicators

The VSC, VSC OFF, and ABS lights are on. When I first noticed it, I turned the car off and when I restarted it, they were off. Now they're on all the time. I didn't find anything in the manual about what this combination indicates.

Anyone have experience with this?
Old 06-08-08, 10:16 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Most likely a malfunctioning wheel sensor is the culprit. Keep an eye on it as it just may come back.
Old 06-08-08, 10:44 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Oh great ... I already have an oxygen sensor to replace and now maybe a wheel sensor as well - and with only 19,000 miles on the car.

Thanks for the quick reply, pearlpower ...

EdP
Old 06-08-08, 12:03 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Get the car scanned for codes. If it's like the 2nd gen GS, then it's possible that the ABS sensor is malfunctioning. Did you recently had your suspension worked on?
Old 06-08-08, 02:18 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

>Did you recently had your suspension worked on?<

Nope ... the last time the car was on a lift, a mechanic tried to replace the oxygen sensor, had all kinds of trouble trying to get the old one off and decided that he didn't want to screw up anything and gave up.

As soon as I can arrange an appointment, I'll be going to my dealer (350-mile round trip) to get the oxygen sensor replaced and this new problem diagnosed. In the meantime, maybe I'll give AutoZone a crack at the diagnosis - it's free and the last scan they did was correct.
Old 06-08-08, 08:36 PM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this problem too. I noticed that it comes on only when it had just rained and there are 'rust' stains on the rotors. I could be completely off base, but that was my observation. It ONLY comes on under these conditions. The wheels sensor could be broken as others have suggested, but I'd consider it if it starts happening more frequently. Hoped this helped
Old 06-13-08, 10:40 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vsc

Any idea on the cost for a right front speed sensor?? What is the process to replace? Is this a dealer thing???
Old 06-13-08, 07:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A little over a $100 for each sensor. Try Carson or Sewill-both sponsors here for pricing. Each install 15 minute install, remove wheel, partially remove inner wheel longer, 10mm bolt,etc...
Old 06-14-08, 09:47 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just curious 1nice... what was the outcome?
Old 06-14-08, 10:23 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

No outcome yet, icen.

Instead of going to my dealer, I decided to try one of the two local Toyota dealers. I went there and asked the service manager if he works on Lexuses and he said he did (I had already known that, but wanted to verify) and he said he would replace my oxygen sensor. He also indicated that he felt the ABS, VSC, and VSC OFF lights might be related, but we'll see about that. I'll go to Autozone on Monday or Tuesday to see what their free scan says.

I made an appointment for this coming Wednesday; they're only 12 miles from my house - much more convenient than my dealer. Of course, for warranty work on my other car, I'll drive the 350 mile round trip.

Incidentally, even though this Toyota dealer is very highly regarded around here, what I've seen of their service area pales in comparison to my Lexus dealer's. Cripes, the service manager doesn't even wear a tie, is apparently incapable of smiling, and his "office" (cubicle) is open to the service garage. Bush league. Let's hope the mechanics know what they're doing.
Old 06-14-08, 08:18 PM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
Incidentally, even though this Toyota dealer is very highly regarded around here, what I've seen of their service area pales in comparison to my Lexus dealer's. Cripes, the service manager doesn't even wear a tie, is apparently incapable of smiling, and his "office" (cubicle) is open to the service garage. Bush league. Let's hope the mechanics know what they're doing.
If you had to deal with Cressida owners all week, you'd probably ditch the tie too.

Hey Ed, have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU?
Attached Thumbnails VSC/VSC OFF/ABS Indicators-hpim1211.sized.jpg  

Last edited by Roofless; 06-14-08 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-15-08, 08:21 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Actually, roofless, I don't blame the guy for being tieless seeing as where his non-AC "office" is. I blame the dealer for providing such low-rent digs.

Now to advertise my ignorance.
Why would I want to turn off the warning indicators? There is apparently something wrong and, once repaired, the lights should go off on their own. Right?

BTW ... Why is there a picture of a burgundy metal box attached to your post?
Old 06-15-08, 09:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Roofless

Hey Ed, have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the ECU?
Disconnecting the ECU will not clear codes that are stored in the DTC.

1NICESC430, try this first and see what happens.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...63&postcount=2

You can skip the checking the sensor step and go straight to resetting. If the light is still on, then go check your ABS sensor wires.
Old 06-16-08, 08:12 AM
Roofless
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
Why would I want to turn off the warning indicators? There is apparently something wrong and, once repaired, the lights should go off on their own. Right?
BTW ... Why is there a picture of a burgundy metal box attached to your post?
You don't like the burgundy Cressida? I think it oozes luxury and performance. Look again, I think you'll see what I mean.

Ed, I certainly don't want you to ignore any potential problems. But other than your pre-diagnosed O2 sensor, everything else I've read here is hypothetical. No one has actually stated what the service manual says when those three warning lights are lit.

Knowing that you store your car every winter with a Battery-Tender, I thought there might be a possibility that it had been awhile since you've reset your ECU, and things might have got wonked up over time.

I thought it was a good place to start before you have to travel and spend money. That's all. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-16-08, 10:15 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Okay, I took another look (or two or three) at that picture and all I see is car missing a bumper and a set of wheels/tires that just do not "go"; kinda like a tank with baby carriage wheels. Am I missing something obvious?

Thanks for clearing things up about the ECU. It's apparent that I knew nothing about the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) or their relationship with one another, so I had to look up those initialisms to learn what they were.

You remembered that I use a Battery-Tender; very astute on your part. Unless my dealer reset the ECU at one time or another, it hasn't been touched, reset, massaged, polished, fed, or anything else since June 2001 when I bought the car.

Incidentally, I don't believe the manual states what those three warning lights mean. I have a digitized copy of the manual in PDF format which I searched and found a lot about those three lights, but nothing about when they're all on at the same time.

Is there a minimum period of time the battery needs to be disconnected to reset the ECU?

Thanks, Roofless, for your input and concern.

Quick Reply: VSC/VSC OFF/ABS Indicators