SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Clear Corners.. Done

Old 04-14-07, 06:26 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clear Corners.. Done

Ok, well after coming really close to forking over good money to Clear Corners dot com, I started looking around their website and prices, and think they are just gouging on stuff that you can't get anywhere else. Kinda ticked me off so they were going to be last resort, so to speak.

Ok. so how much and how hard? Well I spent around $50 on material but only because I am including the cost me buying the wrong glue and the fact that when I went back to the autoparts store, I picked up some "Tech Wax".. But to start from square one.. I would say less than $20. Total time, around 4 hours. But most of that was spent on going to stores and looking at my options and then having to go back.. If you're good.. Less than 2 hours.

I'll be working on a How to and I took pictures of the second one I made. If you own a Dremel Tool and aren't afraid to work with plastic, then you are in luck. I'll be keeping a good eye on my make shift corners as I can't say forsure that they won't crack or won't turn yellow but they seem pretty tough as I made it from the clear plastic that covers the over head lights at your work.. =)

Well, here't my preliminary picture. I'm itching to do another photo shoot (Dan, is hoping that Henry and Mark, will join our party) and I hope to have better pictures of my car soon.. Oh and I also installed my HID Yellow fog light capsules.. You don't know what intense yellow is until see my set up.. I can't believe how much attention them suckers grab..

Laters
Ken
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccsidesml.jpg  
Old 04-14-07, 06:57 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good job Ken

Did u use the method that the older Sc guys did to make clear corners? dremeling out the orange lens and gluing on the clear plastic sheeting materials used in the kitchen lighting covers.

I’m down for a photo shoot too, If you guys don’t mind of course
Old 04-14-07, 09:22 PM
MrSC43
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Info On The HID Yellow Fog Light Capsules

Ken
Would you mind suppling me with more information on the HID Yellow Fog Lights. I'm trying to replace mine and seemed to be stuck on where to get them. Also if you would post a pic that would be nice too.
Thx
Old 04-14-07, 09:28 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Another DIY from hipendicul.

There is no competition with Clear Corners . com for the clear led corners, so the they can set an outrageous price and ppl are still buying it.
Old 04-14-07, 10:09 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
Good job Ken

Did u use the method that the older Sc guys did to make clear corners? dremeling out the orange lens and gluing on the clear plastic sheeting materials used in the kitchen lighting covers.

I’m down for a photo shoot too, If you guys don’t mind of course
Yup, that was exactly it. It actually turned out to be pretty easy and of course your welcome, (assuming we can get something going before NASCAL). Stay tuned for a write up, as like I said, i took a bunch of pictures of the building up of the second one.

Oh and as far as my yellow HIDs and where to get them.. I got mine thru a friend (HahaJoey) and I think he got it thru these guys. JRTLighting dot com. Contact either and I'm sure they should be able to hook you up. H3 Golden or H3 Yellow..

And FWIW, I don't hate the Clear Corner guys nor do i think its a waste of money but damn... I just couldn't bring myself to fork over $300+ for their corner lamps.. I didn't want the LED's either.. i'd rather light them up in color or even just plain ol white.

TTYL
Ken
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccfrontsml.jpg  
Old 04-14-07, 10:16 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Ghetto Clear Corners and Ghetto window mod.. Hah hah, my two trademarks..
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccfrontsdsml2.jpg  
Old 04-14-07, 10:22 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Oh yeah.. Forgot to mention.. No 3rd Brake light.. Still on the fence about this one but it can always be put back on with some double sided tape...
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccrearsml.jpg  
Old 04-14-07, 11:04 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

That looks good
Old 04-15-07, 02:31 AM
herragge
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by talwang
Another DIY from hipendicul.

There is no competition with Clear Corners . com for the clear led corners, so the they can set an outrageous price and ppl are still buying it.
Looks great! Clear corners on dark colored cars look excellent. I have a set and I love them.

I must however defend clearcorners .com on this one however. Yes there prices are quite steep, and it is because he has no competition. However Mike's (a while ago I did the transaction, but I think its Mike) work is absolutely flawless. He is super meticulous, very good build quality, plug and play harness and the LED's I have blink amber, while emitting white LED's at all other times which is SUPER cool. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Its defintely not for everyone, but I think you certainly did a great DIY job achieving a rather similar look.

Steve
Old 04-15-07, 12:32 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by herragge

I must however defend clearcorners .com on this one however. Yes there prices are quite steep, and it is because he has no competition. However Mike's (a while ago I did the transaction, but I think its Mike) work is absolutely flawless. He is super meticulous, very good build quality, plug and play harness and the LED's I have blink amber, while emitting white LED's at all other times which is SUPER cool. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. Its defintely not for everyone, but I think you certainly did a great DIY job achieving a rather similar look.

Steve
I know, Steve. I have a set on my car,too.
That is one of the great stuffs those Japanese tuners may need to order from US.
Old 04-16-07, 10:00 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by herragge
Looks great! Clear corners on dark colored cars look excellent. I have a set and I love them.

Steve
Hey thanks for the kind words but I don't think clearCorners needs any defense. The way I see it is that if you wanna get the best clear corners available right now then ClearCorners is the place to go, but this is only because they are the ONLY ones that are making them. I'm just saying that gouging is never cool, no matter how great the product or service

Maybe I come from a different part of the automotive landscape but what ever happened to car guys helping out other car guys. Get what you paid for... When I first got my 99R6, I had some guy do an LED conversion on my tail lights, and that cost me ~$150. I loved helping promote this guys work to other forum members. Cheap and good work. I miss those days..

Lastly, it was your's and Mark's SCs on thier website that made me want clear corner bumper lights so bad. It makes the biggest difference to the look of these cars.. The amber is just so 80s..
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ledtail2.jpg  
Old 04-16-07, 10:07 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Ok, here's the DIY....

First off, take a Dremel with a cut off wheel and slowly (And I mean slowly) start cutting around the edge of the amber lens. I used the diamond pattern cut off line for a reference. Slowly keep cutting deeper and deeper. When you finally get thru most of it, take a screw driver and lightly twist it in the grove you made and crack it apart... If it doesn't crack easily, then keep going deeper and try again. You should pretty much go thru the side of the lense before this happens..
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccdiy1sml.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 04-16-07 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 10:17 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Once you get the amber lense off, start sanding the high parts of the light, we want this part to be smooth with a slight arc to accomodate the curve of the front bumper, which should be pretty apparent if you followed the curve the amber lens.

I used a sanding drum on my dremel to take out the high parts and just kinda evened it out using my eye. Once I was satisfied (and don't take off too much material at once, you can always go back and sand down more), I used my table and a piece of fine grit sandpaper (There was no number grit on this paper, but I would guess it to be in the 300-400 range) and started sanding the light face down into the sandpaper, trying to even out both sides and getting both edges 90 degrees to the light. It doesn't have to be perfect but the closer to smooth and 90 degrees you get the better the result. Don't sand off too much... Don't worry about some of the amber lense still on the light, we need some of it to be there. It will be the sides to the new front lense.

Once your happy with the smoothing, we need to spray the light silver. Pretty much a no brainer.. I used "Chrome" paint (which looks nothing like chrome so don't believe the lid.. hah hah).

Note: notice the small black stuff on my light, that is epoxy filler I used cause I sanded down too much and I needed to match the othe side.. Take your time sanding and cutting.. if you need to do what I did, go to the autoparts store and pick up some "Quick Steel". Apply it and let it dry and sand it down to fit..
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccdiy2sml.jpg  

Last edited by hipendicul; 04-16-07 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-16-07, 10:22 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Painted.. Notice its not chrome.. =)
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccdiy3sml.jpg  
Old 04-16-07, 10:27 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Ok, now its time to find a clear lens. I used a clear fluorescent lens that I bought at home depot for $12. Now maybe this isn't the best stuff to use as it may turn yellow or crack easily but its what I used. I would suggest using something better if you can find it. Maybe an old headlight lying around or a clear lens off a turn signal.. It just has to be the right size. You may prefer a certain pattern on the lens, well now is the time to hold them up to your car and see what makes you happy.. Oh and I used the sides of this lens. The portion with out the diamond patter.. It was little thicker and smoother..
Attached Thumbnails Clear Corners.. Done-ccdiy4sml.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clear Corners.. Done