Search this Thread

Old 05-13-11, 12:17 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
i hope that's true...i tinted mine all black and took out the bulbs lol
Hi Redliner8

Did you tint the front and rears and did you remove them to do it?

I want to paint mine body colour (they are not required in the UK) and have removed the fronts, but it seems you have to remove the bumper to get to the rear retaining screws!!!

Best regards

Steve
Old 05-13-11, 12:25 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I left them on and painted them with tint spray. I didn't want the hassle of removing (or partially removing) the bumper.

When I removed the bulbs, I just unscrewed the 3 or 4 screws in the wheel well and was able to reach my hand inside the bumper, felt around, and pulled out the socket. The hard part was putting the socket back in the housing after I removed the bulb. I had my gf with smaller arms do one of the sides, I was getting too frustrated with it haha

I just put up a picture in a different thread. Although, it's hard to see because the picture is dark: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-opinions.html
Old 05-13-11, 12:44 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
i hope that's true...i tinted mine all black and took out the bulbs lol
i live in mass, state of arsehole inspection. my sidemarkers are sitting in a box, and the slots in the bumper are molded in and repainted on my is300, no problems passing inspection even at the lexus dealer, its like they never even existed
Old 05-13-11, 02:15 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

Remember I wrote the US DOT requires manufacturers.... Manufacturers have and are complying with the regulation. If you choose to modify them, so be it. No one can really stop you. However, it becomes your liability should something happen, or the necessary probable cause for a LEO to pull you over. You're all adults you can make your own choices. It just bothers me when mods are suggested, but the consequences of the alterations are rarely discussed.
Old 05-13-11, 03:15 PM
the.wong.k
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Remember I wrote the US DOT requires manufacturers.... Manufacturers have and are complying with the regulation. If you choose to modify them, so be it. No one can really stop you. However, it becomes your liability should something happen, or the necessary probable cause for a LEO to pull you over. You're all adults you can make your own choices. It just bothers me when mods are suggested, but the consequences of the alterations are rarely discussed.
thanks for the insight, i keep that in mind. i think when stuff like that is discussed is because we rather not think of the consequence due to it defering us from doing it or some others just dont care about it
Old 07-28-11, 09:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
When I first read about this requirement, I started to pay attention and looked at cars. 100% of the cars have an amber front reflector or light as well as red reflector-light for the rear. Every single car.

Unless modified.

To me it was an eye opener. There must be a reason why. Safety has to be it.
Old 04-06-15, 09:01 AM
photalian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mandyfig
When I first read about this requirement, I started to pay attention and looked at cars. 100% of the cars have an amber front reflector or light as well as red reflector-light for the rear. Every single car.

Unless modified.

To me it was an eye opener. There must be a reason why. Safety has to be it.
Laws. You can get around it by changing the bulb color, usually.