SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Blitz Cabin Filter vs Stock Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-11, 04:46 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnSub
In the long run the Bltz is cheaper because you wash, allow to dry and reuse.
Sorry, my bad, didn't read through the whole original post.
But to me, given that we don't need to change these all the time, I think it's just easier to just buy a new filter. But that's just me.
Old 05-12-11, 06:00 PM
tentoys
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wonder how we survived all those years before cabin air filters.
Old 05-12-11, 06:30 PM
UnSub
Driver

Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Sorry, my bad, didn't read through the whole original post.
But to me, given that we don't need to change these all the time, I think it's just easier to just buy a new filter. But that's just me.
I use to have a washable a/c filter in the house and I hated to clean it and wait for it to dry. I am staying with stock also.
Old 05-13-11, 02:54 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Denso Filters from Rock Auto FTW. Denso is the OEM manufacturer for Lexus/Toyota.
Old 05-13-11, 04:53 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was considering getting an expensive one but didn't really see the advantage. I bought a TYC off Amazon for $12, works good to me.
Old 05-13-11, 10:45 AM
marksblusc
Driver School Candidate

I don't worry too much about a cabin filter, since I spend most of my time in the car with the top down. With all the exhaust I'm breathing in, my cabin filter should be a gas mask!
Old 05-13-11, 11:06 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone put some air fresheners on it? Is it safe? lol Make it smell good when you turn on the air
Old 09-03-11, 10:09 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UnSub
In the long run the Bltz is cheaper because you wash, allow to dry and reuse.
what's the best way to clean the Blitz Air Filter and Cabin Air filter for reuse? One thing I had read was that you're supposed to dry it in the sun. Also how often - just whenever you're supposed to replace according to manual? (for the 2IS I believe this is every 30k miles). Is it worthwhile to do more often since we have the luxury of the just cleaning and re-using? Last question, how long will the filters last?

I put a blitz air filter and cabin air filter in last summer in my '08 IS 350, (iirc) about a year and a half/25-ish K miles after ownership (the car was bought new)
Old 07-11-12, 12:38 PM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shahryar
what's the best way to clean the Blitz Air Filter and Cabin Air filter for reuse? One thing I had read was that you're supposed to dry it in the sun. Also how often - just whenever you're supposed to replace according to manual? (for the 2IS I believe this is every 30k miles). Is it worthwhile to do more often since we have the luxury of the just cleaning and re-using? Last question, how long will the filters last?

I put a blitz air filter and cabin air filter in last summer in my '08 IS 350, (iirc) about a year and a half/25-ish K miles after ownership (the car was bought new)
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/pentex/blitz/hybrid.php

All your (and others) questions answered.
Old 07-22-12, 04:14 PM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

^ awesome. I've waited a long time for that info. but uh oh:

..As it absorbs airborne pollutants, its color turns to brown. So check once every 6 months or every 2 oil change intervals...
I checked/changed my cabin air filter last 2 years in summer 2010. My car was at 25k miles then and is just a little shy of 62k miles. I have to be better about this.

Also, a little o/t, how about the Blitz Air Filter? The Engine Air filter? Is that reusable at all? I put my blitz in last around the same time as my Blitz Cabin Air Filter. I haven't looked at it since :/
Old 07-22-12, 07:05 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

^ awesome. I've waited a long time for that info.:/
Hey, you are still doing better than I am. Asked this question over a year ago, no one seems to know:

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Anyone have a good source for the Blitz cabin filter? The place I ordered from last time is now quoting "four to eight weeks special delivery from Japan." Methinks I can do better.
Googled again today and found one for 2005 and prior years on eBay, but nothing for a 2006.
Old 07-26-12, 06:18 PM
RA032023
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will notice that there is a circ fan underneath the filter assembly, so that up means up, toward the roof! I think.
Old 07-28-12, 06:43 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by redliner8
Has anyone put some air fresheners on it? Is it safe? lol Make it smell good when you turn on the air
That's a good question. I'm wondering the same thing.
Old 09-05-12, 04:11 AM
Boron
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ awesome. I've waited a long time for that info.
Just been looking on Blitz's Japan website, and the recent Lexus models all use HA106, except the SC which is a 105.
That link I put up last time has no mention of 106 in the drop down price & selection, but as it mentions a 3-4 week turnaround for JDM parts to arrive, then there should be no problem with requesting the 106 version.
Old 10-13-12, 09:44 AM
Shahryar
Lead Lap

Today was nice sunny day with no chance of rain so I thought I'd look into finally cleaning my Blitz Engine Air Filter and Blitz Cabin Air Filter. Again, I know the Cabin Air Filter can be cleaned and re-used thanks to Boron's post in this thread, but I don't have a concrete answer on the Engine Air Filter. But I have read before that it can be washed and re-used once so I'm going with that until I hear otherwise. And I'm trying to follow same procedure as for the cabin air filter.

Here are some pics of the filters before the cleaning:

Here are some pics of the filters after the cleaning (click for larger photo):

Right now the filters are sitting out in the sun:

They've been out there since 9am EST.

I have to run somewhere around 2pm and as of right now 12pm, both the filters are still wet. I've found my old OEM Cabin Air Filter which I took out in the summer of 2010 at 25k miles and have thrown that in my car for now. That means my Cabin Air filter has all day til it gets dark by 6-something to get adequate sun exposure (and dry).

But I can't find my old engine air filter. So I took my Vornado fan out there, put it on high against the Engine Oil Filter and hope between the sun and the fan it can get dry enough to drive with again within the next hour. Assuming the engine air filter was supposed to get 6-12 hours of sun too, I'm not sure what will happen. Maybe I can take it out and leave it in the sun all day tomorrow?

Last edited by Shahryar; 10-13-12 at 09:57 AM.