SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering 2005 SC430! Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-04, 08:31 PM
cwhtrains
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I own an 2002 SC 430, a 2003 Mercedes SLK for my wife, a 2000 Mercedes ML320 for my winter driving, and a 2004 Honda Accord EXL for the 35 - 40,000 miles of driving I do for work each year. Without question, the SC 430 is the best on the bunch by far. Even my wife admits that the after having the SLK for a while, it really is just too small and that the SC is tough to beat. We will be turning the SLK in after its lease is up.

I spend a lot of time in the car driving between cities in the Midwest and without question the SC is the most comfortable car I have ever had. I drove mine over 25,000 miles the first year I had the car. Then I swtiched to the ML 320 and drove that one 36,000 over the next 12 months. The ML has been a very good car for us (90,000+miles now) and I have kept it to drive on snow days out here in Indiana. Given the volume of annual miles I drive, I purchased the 2004 Accord with the idea that I would wear it out in 3 or 4 years and keep my SC for a long time for personal use. I did buy a Honda with XM satelite radio and love it. If you are buying a new car I would try to see if you could add the XM radio to it.

My impression of the SLK is that the quality of workmanship and finish and feel is not up to the Lexus standards. My Lexus has been great and other than buying some tires at 30,000, it has been a wonderful ownership experience. My SC had the OEM Bridgestone runflats and they did suck big time. I now have a set of Dunlap SP Sport runflats and it has made a world of difference in how the car drives.

Good luck in making your decision.

Clayton
Old 12-15-04, 08:06 AM
wide2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have my heart set on a sc430. I currently own a G35coupe and it has been flawless for me, but I would like a hardtop convertible. I'm impressed that even on internet forums, there are far less rants and complaints as there are positive stories from all the sc430 owners out there (not normal for most cars....even mercedes). And after seeing how the sc430 can look with the perfect rims/offset combo and the right drop, I'm sold. My friend has a lowered sl500 with the wald kit sitting on 20" lorinsers and after sitting in his ride with the top down, I am really missing out on some open air fun. I don't want a huge monthly payment as the sl500 will put me in especially since an sc430 is such an attractive "plan B" (or to me "plan only"). As soon as I sell the g35, i'm getting myself into the "lexy". Already ordered 20" Rays lexion rims/tires and lowering kit for my future baby so that will force me to not change my mind. lol.

Last edited by wide2k; 12-15-04 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-15-04, 08:15 AM
lkirchner
Lead Lap

Thumbs down

Originally posted by iloveGS300
Thank you all for your responses Looks like you guys are extremely satisfied with your SC's!

The wife and I will go for a test drive in the coming weeks. Another car she also wants to see is the CLK500 cabrolet. I know I know, its a class below but its in the price range. I personally want the SC but I must say the the CLK500 with the top down is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen. Either car will be used as a weekend crusier so the ragtop would be to big a deal. I dont care too much for the coupe, it seems this car was built for a cab form. Currently she is lusting after the CLK, but I am trying to steer her to the Lexus. But ultimate this is her choice. We will see what happens with the test drive.

Rominl - Thanks for the reference, I Appreciate it

Robert
I have a CLK 500, the coupe not the cabrio. I have one thing to say about it: IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK. Enough said.
Old 12-15-04, 10:37 AM
vvking
Driver School Candidate

1)How much off MSRP can I get? I know there is a $8,000 difference between invoice and MSRP. I also know the SC has been out for 4 years so I assum the demand is not too high? Can I do 1000 over invoice? (7,000 off msrp) I live in SoCal if it matters.
In SoCal, you're unlikely to get $1000 over invoice. Check out the TMV pricing at Edmunds.com. That's an indication of what the car has been selling for, and clearly, it's nowhere near $1000 over invoice.

2) If you could change one thing about your SC430 what would it be?
More usable back seats.

3) What is your favorite feature? (besides folding hardtop)
Nav system.

4) Why did you choose the SC430 over other automobiles in its class?
Folding hardtop, price, Lexus reliability. I would have purchased a Mercedes SL class if I could justify the cost, becasue I think it's a beautiful car.

5) If you could rate your car 1 through 10,(10 being absolutely no flaws) What # would you give it?

6) Should I go with Saddle or Ecru? (black exterior)
That's personal preference. I have a black interior on my Silver SC. The headliner (which is close to Ecru) gets dirty easily. But I personally don't really like the Saddle color.

7) Daily driver, or weekend Cruiser?
Daily driver.

Vince
2002 SC430 Millennium Silver Metallic (purchased April 2001)
Old 12-15-04, 09:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I got some good news guys, My wife and I were so pleased with the SC430 that we are not even going to bother test driving the CLK. I will add more about the drive tomarrow. I am exhausted right now. Im still trying to get some straight answers with the roll-over protection, other than that it was a prefect car.

Robert
that's awesome robert! so man, what car you getting, is300, sc430, and what else

anyway, i am glad that you guys are sold on the sc430. it's a damn quiet car for a hard top convertible isnt it? so now you know what to do right? contact the right person for the car. i got contacts for you
Old 12-15-04, 09:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by wide2k
I also have my heart set on a sc430. I currently own a G35coupe and it has been flawless for me, but I would like a hardtop convertible. I'm impressed that even on internet forums, there are far less rants and complaints as there are positive stories from all the sc430 owners out there (not normal for most cars....even mercedes). And after seeing how the sc430 can look with the perfect rims/offset combo and the right drop, I'm sold. My friend has a lowered sl500 with the wald kit sitting on 20" lorinsers and after sitting in his ride with the top down, I am really missing out on some open air fun. I don't want a huge monthly payment as the sl500 will put me in especially since an sc430 is such an attractive "plan B" (or to me "plan only"). As soon as I sell the g35, i'm getting myself into the "lexy". Already ordered 20" Rays lexion rims/tires and lowering kit for my future baby so that will force me to not change my mind. lol.
yes that's what i love most about this forum. a lot of people are very humble and very unbiased. we praise all cars as long as they are good, and we talk about problems even if it's on our cars. i think that's how we can all enjoy our rides

i have driven the sl500 already. seriously it's a damn ice car, style aweome, interior very elegant and so, handling very well together with speed, but other than that, the ride is quite harsh, and in terms of luxury i really prefer the sc430 much more

plus, i think driving the sc430 will just turn as many heads
Old 12-15-04, 11:51 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
that's awesome robert! so man, what car you getting, is300, sc430, and what else

anyway, i am glad that you guys are sold on the sc430. it's a damn quiet car for a hard top convertible isnt it? so now you know what to do right? contact the right person for the car. i got contacts for you
I buy too many cars Rominl I know

The car was extremely quiet and boy does it turn heads. I was really sold on the interior though, especially the ecru. I really like the Amethyst pearl exterior. I might go with that instead of black.

If your contact can give me the right price, then I will go with her. But I go through a very lengthy process before I buy my cars and use alot internet puchasing car sites, So I can't promise you if I buy it from her. Whoever does if for the least amont of money will win.

Robert
Old 12-16-04, 12:00 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

The car was extremely quiet and boy does it turn heads. I was really sold on the interior though, especially the ecru. I really like the Amethyst pearl exterior. I might go with that instead of black.

If your contact can give me the right price, then I will go with her. But I go through a very lengthy process before I buy my cars and use alot internet puchasing car sites, So I can't promise you if I buy it from her. Whoever does if for the least amont of money will win.

Robert
haha of course, after all you are spending the money right? i was just making sure you give her a try, it never hurts right?
Old 12-16-04, 07:15 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

I really like the Amethyst pearl exterior. I might go with that instead of black.

Robert
If you go with the Amethyst pearl exterior, you'll have both a black car & a dark purple car at the same time as it looks black unless under bright light. I love the way it changes color under certain light conditions when you observe it moving from one angle to another.

My Amethyst SC was once mistaken for a black one that was parked in the neighbourhood that was sought by the police as the owner is suspected to be a pot grower. I was followed home once & I have to explain to them my car is dark purple, not the black one that I saw in the neighbourhood that they are after.
Old 12-16-04, 08:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SexySC
If you go with the Amethyst pearl exterior, you'll have both a black car & a dark purple car at the same time as it looks black unless under bright light. I love the way it changes color under certain light conditions when you observe it moving from one angle to another.

My Amethyst SC was once mistaken for a black one that was parked in the neighbourhood that was sought by the police as the owner is suspected to be a pot grower. I was followed home once & I have to explain to them my car is dark purple, not the black one that I saw in the neighbourhood that they are after.
hahhaa, you should get a vanity that says "my car is not black" or something