SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Considering 2005 SC430! Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-04, 09:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by tfischer
Do you mean the pie plate wheels are dead?

Rest In Peace.
well as far as i know. i was at the dealership the other day having my car serviced, and i noticed couple of sc430 in the lot, some with the pie and some with the new style. i asked why (coz' i know they are all 05), and the sales said lexus are gradually changing to the new style already.

it's nice when you are havnig your car serviced during the week, the sales love to talk to you coz' they are bored, haha

Last edited by rominl; 12-06-04 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-07-04, 01:49 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your responses Looks like you guys are extremely satisfied with your SC's!

The wife and I will go for a test drive in the coming weeks. Another car she also wants to see is the CLK500 cabrolet. I know I know, its a class below but its in the price range. I personally want the SC but I must say the the CLK500 with the top down is one of the nicest looking cars I have seen. Either car will be used as a weekend crusier so the ragtop would be to big a deal. I dont care too much for the coupe, it seems this car was built for a cab form. Currently she is lusting after the CLK, but I am trying to steer her to the Lexus. But ultimate this is her choice. We will see what happens with the test drive.

Rominl - Thanks for the reference, I Appreciate it

Robert
Old 12-07-04, 02:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hehehe, just ask her if she's willing to let the car stay in the dealership from time to time for fixes, and drive a c class instead with no top off? honestly that's what drove me away from euro. they are nice, drivers' cars, but for a car that i can drive with a peace of mind, that's different

and no problem. just call her up for a test drive!
Old 12-07-04, 06:02 AM
tfischer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

To change her opinion, just show her the recent Powers surveys relating to customer satisfaction and product quality.

In the past 5-10 years, MB has fallen from the top considerably, and Lexus, which started pretty much at the top, has remained there for the last 5-10 years. Also, this past year, the SC430 received the highest owner satisfaction score ever recorded for any single model.

There are a lot of reasons and a lot of theories for the fall in MB quality, but the data has been there for years now and it's reliable enough to convince me to stay away from MB if reliability is any concern -- and it is.
Old 12-07-04, 06:41 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

This from Consumers Report should also give her some ideas :

Old 12-07-04, 08:10 AM
Umbo
Rookie

One other factor to consider is safety. There aren't many crash tests done on convertibles. Lexus however has an excellent record with all it's other cars. The hard top affords some safety over a rag top. It is also very heavy which is definitely correlated with better outcomes in collisions.

The SC is also the best looking convertible with the top up. Most ragtops look like hell with the top up. The SC top is so well integrated that most people can't even tell it's a convertible until you open it.
Old 12-07-04, 08:22 AM
tfischer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Yes to what he said. And the look of surprise on their faces is well worth the cost of the car.

Also, a car this heavy and this low with such wide tires is very, very hard to roll over, so the absence of a rollover cage is not a big factor.
Old 12-07-04, 01:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Umbo
One other factor to consider is safety. There aren't many crash tests done on convertibles. Lexus however has an excellent record with all it's other cars. The hard top affords some safety over a rag top. It is also very heavy which is definitely correlated with better outcomes in collisions.

The SC is also the best looking convertible with the top up. Most ragtops look like hell with the top up. The SC top is so well integrated that most people can't even tell it's a convertible until you open it.
imho, the sl is the only other car with better look than the sc with top up
Old 12-08-04, 01:51 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

Keep them coming guys. I am going to print this and give it to to my wife.

SexySC that is exellent. Any more you have? If so please post it.

Rominl CLK is based off the C-class BUT It drives nothing like it. I have drivin a W209 CLK before(wife hasnt driven it yet though) and it drove very much like the E500. It was rock solid and smooth. Its 40% stiffer because of the lack of b-pillars. My wife currently drives a C320 and its not even close in feel. ITs been reliable, BUT its definitely the worst feel in regards to what MB is known for. It will be gone pretty soon after warranty. I can say the CLK500 was almost as similar to the SL ride but the SL is slightly more refined.

I just want to add I appreciate the maturity of this forum. Instead of the childish "MB is crap, blah blah" you guys give me concrete reasons to avoid it.

I have owned MBs since I began driving 11 years ago, 2 hold a place special place in my heart (Check my sig)But I am so disapointed with there newer offereings in regards to quality. I owned a 2000 E320 had so many problems I had to get rid of it. My 99 W140 S500 and 94 W124 E320 are flawless cars. Its really disheartening to what they have become

Lexus has been my new favorite brand ever since I bought my GS last year. Its been just as flawless as my 2 MBs. One of the best I have ever owned. If I buy the SC430 it will definitely be keeping for a long time. Im so impressed with the quality of Lexus. It has the quality of what MB used to stand for. Over-engineering.

After talking to my wife, we are really torn between the CLK500 Cab and SC430. I personally think they are the most beautiful cars (althought he SC had to grow on me a bit, I am in love with it) I think the SC430 interior is the nicest interior short of a Bentley. But I also think the CLK cab is the nicest looking modern MB other than the SL and CL. Its a tough choice, and will require some time and and extensive test driving.

Again I thank all you for reading my posts and adding input. and If there any previous MB owners here i would like to hear you input as well about you would do.

Take care everyone

Robert

PS Wife says no more cars after this until we buy a larger house What I can, I say I am nuts about cars

Last edited by iloveGS300; 12-08-04 at 02:00 AM.
Old 12-08-04, 01:17 PM
paulb
Driver School Candidate

Default MB Feedback

I too was torn between MB and SC 430. I had an E 320 Desert Silver with 58,000 miles in mint condition.
Unfortunately it was only cosmeticaly mint. I never had a car in the shop more than the E 320. Electronic problems, seats, windows and then the cam for the serpintine belt flew off at 34,000. I was considering an SL until I drove the SC.

Since owning the Lexus I can understand why people speak so highly of it. MB's are good looking, great handling but in the long run a Lexus will make your driving experience more enjoyable. The one plus side of MB is, if it does break down you can take it to the nearest Chrysler dealer !
Old 12-08-04, 08:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: MB Feedback

Originally posted by paulb
I too was torn between MB and SC 430. I had an E 320 Desert Silver with 58,000 miles in mint condition.
Unfortunately it was only cosmeticaly mint. I never had a car in the shop more than the E 320. Electronic problems, seats, windows and then the cam for the serpintine belt flew off at 34,000. I was considering an SL until I drove the SC.

Since owning the Lexus I can understand why people speak so highly of it. MB's are good looking, great handling but in the long run a Lexus will make your driving experience more enjoyable. The one plus side of MB is, if it does break down you can take it to the nearest Chrysler dealer !
this is some very interesting feedback. i always have the question. when the car is in the shop, do they tell you why it's in again, why it's taking so long to fix, etc?

i can't imagine myself spending the money and then only remembering my path to dealership for services. i would go nuts. i want a car that i can drive any day.

oh and iloveGS300, dn't get me wrong, it was just my opinion that the sl500 looks the best the clk is still a very nice car. though from a performance point of view, i drove it, but i actualy expected more out of it?
Old 12-08-04, 09:47 PM
XZLR8
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just catching up on this thread, but it looks like there has been some great feedback.

I love my SC, but I am also a big fan of German cars. Until recently, I owned nothing but German vehicles. My heart will probably always favor German driving, but there is much to be said for the reliability and interior craftsmanship of the SC430.

I've owned many convertibles prior to the SC and the biggest thing I can tell you is that after owning a hard-top retractable, I will never own a ragtop again... even one as nice as the CLK. I don't care how well insulated and "all-weather" those tops are, you will still have the increased wind noise that comes with a soft-top convertible every time you drive that car with the top up. The SC is a great ride with the top down, certainly, but the real joy for me is the QUIET coupe-like feeling that you get with the top UP. No other convertible that I have ever owned has ever given me that. It is truly two cars in one.

That said, both the SC and CLK are great cars and you are sure to love either one. Best of luck to you.
Old 12-11-04, 07:38 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Tomarrow We will go trest drive the SC.. CLK the following week. I will keep you updated.

Robert
Old 12-13-04, 01:59 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by iloveGS300
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Tomarrow We will go trest drive the SC.. CLK the following week. I will keep you updated.

Robert
yeah defintely keep us posted. i have driven the sc430 a few times, but never the clk. would love to hear more feedback on that
Old 12-13-04, 11:58 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

I got some good news guys, My wife and I were so pleased with the SC430 that we are not even going to bother test driving the CLK. I will add more about the drive tomarrow. I am exhausted right now. Im still trying to get some straight answers with the roll-over protection, other than that it was a prefect car.

Robert

Quick Reply: Considering 2005 SC430! Some questions