SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-12, 12:33 AM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts
Default 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls

For the past month I've been enjoying my new state-of-the-art car stereo head unit.

Over the last few years I, like many others, have been frustrated by the lack of a reasonable upgrade for our car stereos. I wanted many of the new technological bells and whistles but really did not want to dip into my HELOC to fund it. I also did not feel it was necessary to get new amp(s), or speakers. I know many of you will say...Huh! But come on folks, I drive most of the time with the top down, our equipment is fine IMO.

I also wanted my steering wheel controls to function. But each time I began a search for a solution it failed at this point until BEATSONIC came up with a NEW solution.

I spoke to Eric Kwon at Beatsonic, a CL sponsor, and ordered their NEW MVA-12L (02-04 SC430 compatible) adapter with steering wheel control interface. Eric got me a prototype to try but he also swore me to secrecy until their official announcement. I ordered a 2012 Pioneer AVH-P4400-BH double DIN receiver, a Pioneer Sat Receiver and their USB/iPOD/iPhone cable adapter.
The unit received rave reviews coming out the Las Vegas Comsumer Electronics Show as huge improvement over their 2011 line-up.

Yesterday, Friday, May 18th BeatSonic finally make the official announcement for the new products. Besides the 12L they also added the MVA-13L which works with SC430 models built between years 05-09.

I am very please with the upgrade and the performance of BeatSonic's new adapter. While not all steering wheel functions work, (MODE does not) the important ones for me do. But let me add, since my 02 does NOT have an OEM phone module, I cannot comment on any of those features, other than to say the Pioneer phone and LEXUS OEM NAV systems work perfectly with the BeatSonic adapter. Sure there are a couple of quirks, some may call them features, but I adapted and overall it's a great product. Heck, what's not to be please about. I have a new state-of-the-art receiver, satellite radio, both blue-tooth phone and audio streaming along a few other features all at a very reasonable cost.

Below I posted a link to my cloud account where a PDF of DIY instructions as well as a review of the BeatSonic adapter is available for download. The PDF is chocked full of pictures and drawings for those who may want to consider doing this upgrade yourself. It's free to download from the site.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'll do my best getting some answers for you.

PDF: 2012 RADIO DIY INSTALL and review of Beatsonic's NEW adapter with steering wheel controls for 2002-04 SC430

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-22-12 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 06:04 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great piece Bob! Mine has been on order since April, but hasn't made it here yet. They are
Promised for may though. Do you know that they are now off the production line. Both beatsonic and my installer said they would call me as soon as they arrive.

Ironically, my rear speaker blew and my outdoor temp and trip LEDs are losing lines. My 3rd party warranty is overnight both. The AC module (LEDs) alone is a grand. The first thing the warranty asked my Lexus dealer was "is it an aftermarket radio or factory". Looking for a loophole to get out of paying for it. Hopefully my SC will go from Lexus to my installer for my Pioneer. The speaker and module are on order. Its like Christmas!
Old 05-19-12, 06:24 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the pioneer unit I ordered with iPod control...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130AVIC...140bh&skipvs=T

Maybe I'll be enjoying it in a week! If I can squeeze it in. I'm retiring in 2 weeks from teaching architecture for the last 39 years. Don't congratulate me yet, I've already been hired to teach part time. So my retirement will consist of working less hours. Of course I will have all summer to enjoy my new head unit in my SC. Bob, maybe we can get together in mid June. I will be in SD for a week-my son lives down there and we will be staying at paradise point, which is pretty close to you on mission bay. I'll pm you later about it

John
Old 05-19-12, 07:04 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

videos of the finished product....just when i thought i was out, they pulled me back in!
Old 05-19-12, 08:03 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Awesome job as always Bob! Thank you very much.
Old 05-19-12, 08:52 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Clearly much time, thought and effort went into the DIY -- that will benefit anyone with a project where the radio, nav, etc. needs to be removed. Very nice of you to do that. Thanks!
Old 05-19-12, 10:56 AM
VVTiBob

While I don't do videos myself...I found this on YouTube while I was doing my due diligence BEFORE I did my own install. When I saw it I thought that what I wanted to do to my car and was pretty much convinced at that point. Then, I discussed it with Eric at BEATSONIC and was sold. So I ordered the Pioneer AVH-P4400BH receiver via Amazon (it got here faster than the MVA-12L prototype).

To be clear, I did NOT use an installer or another company to do the work and had the scratches on my hands from working inside the dash to prove last month. The SC in the video is silver, just like mine, and has a black interior, like mine, it's NOT mine. I have 02, the one featured in the video is a 2004. Which makes sense because BeatSonic had not shared they were working on the MVA-13L for 05-09 SCs with me.

Also, as a reminder, I chose NOT to hook up their video adapter. The one that sends video on the head unit up to the OEM Multi-Display screen. Because I didn't connect it, as I explained in the PDF my MODE steering wheel control DOES NOT function. BeatSonic reserves the Mode button for activating the multi-display video screen. To return to NAV video, press the button on A/C control panel.

Finally as John (Solman) has mentioned, he's ordered Pioneer's Flagship, AVIC-Z140BH unit. I evaluated it before purchasing the AVH-P4400BH. The Z140 HAS EVERY bell and whistle you can want or need. It a terrific piece of electronics, it's just more than what I needed or, would use. Yes, the state-of-the-art GPS and Live Traffic updates were tempting but, I could live without that and save the extra $500 I'd have to shell out. Besides I had already upgraded my OEM NAV system to GEN 4. I'm sure John will be very pleased with it. Now if I could just convince him he could do install it himself, save a few bucks and have the satisfaction too.

Anyway, here's the video that got me interested in the first place:

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-20-12 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-19-12, 11:04 AM
VVTiBob

John,
I also have an extended warranty on my SC for a couple more years. I've wondered about aftermarket gear and potential warranty exclusions. This is one more reason I'm pleased with the BeatSonic adapter - no wire cutting. It's all plug 'n' play modular connectors with the factory wire harnesses. So, if I need to get back to the original OEM state and the original equipment it's easily doable. Hopefully this closes warranty exclusion loopholes.
Bob

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-19-12 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 11:12 AM
VVTiBob

John,
Regarding your BeatSonic order. I have no insider knowledge other than Eric letting me know of the official release as of yesterday. Eric did mention they were finishing up another install yesterday. I thought it might be your car.

Congratulation on beginning to wind down a successful career. Nearly 40 years is quite an accomplishment these days. Here's to 40 more healthy years of retirement.

I put 32 years into mine, and to be honest, it was different/difficult at first to be idle. But over time, it's been three years now, I've become more accustom to the so called life of leisure. Besides... having time on my hands and no work related stress, allows me to explore and do DIY jobs like this install. Maybe you should hold off for a couple of weeks and also do it yourself. Anyone who's been teaching teenage kids has to have a overflowing well of patience and dedication.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-19-12 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 02:37 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

Instructions look great Bob. Thanks. How about some pictures of the finished product?

So I gather that since you used the video for reference, those painted black fingernails were not yours...
Old 05-19-12, 03:42 PM
VVTiBob

You know I used to use white on my nails when I was a BB catcher in high school, but could never get into "that look" with black fingernails or the heavy wrist jewelry either.... LOL. Other than the video up on the upper OEM multi-display screen, my car's interior looks identical to the one in the YouTube video linked above.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-19-12 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 06:14 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Excellent work, does the double din come with a face plate to fit onto the SC430? Or do you need to fabricate this yourself?

Any pictures?
Old 05-19-12, 07:57 PM
VVTiBob

Take a look at the video I linked to, along with the 1st page of the PDF. The Beatsonic kit comes with three trim pieces, two trapezoids for the sides that clip into existing brackets and a stainless steel trim for the base. It all fits very nicely.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-19-12 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-19-12, 10:06 PM
garybc230
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the information as the proud new owner of a 2002 SC430, I wanted to get some ideas on how to upgrade the stereo without breaking the bank. One question and perhaps I missed it, is are you running the factory Mark Levinson amp and speakers or an aftermarket amp and speakers? The reason I ask is I've been told that the impedance is 8 ohms I believe and most car stereos and speakers are 4 ohms. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.
Old 05-19-12, 10:13 PM
VVTiBob

Make sure you read the PDF linked in the original post regarding the goal of this upgrade. But to answer your question ..I kept the OEM ML amp, all of the OEM speakers and the Lexus NAV system. And you're correct the OEM speakers are 8 ohms, except the Subwoofer it's 16 ohms.

Quick Reply: 2012 RADIO UPGRADE w/Steering Wheel Controls