SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Remote start issues, could use advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-21, 12:00 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Remote start issues, could use advice

Hey everyone. So I've been having weird remote entry issues with my car. At random intervals, the remote key would stop working, no lock/unlock/trunk at all. The weird part is that it doesn't stay dead. It cuts for a while, but after a couple of drives, it starts to work again. I thought it might be the battery on the remote so I switched that out but the issue persists. At this point I'm thinking its either the signal being transmitted from the key or the module in the car. Problem is I have no clue how to troubleshoot something like this. I only got one key so I cant use the second one to test if the problem is the keyfob or the remote entry module itself. Here is a list of things I've checked:
  • Took the remote apart and checked all the circuits/solder points, nothing looks damaged.
  • The red light on the remote lights up when i press any of the buttons
  • My car is lowered and I haven't relocated my harness yet so I thought maybe that bit me in the ***, but the wheels haven't touched the wheel well at all so maybe I'm not that low
At this point I don't know what else to check or how to check it. Is the remote alarm module in the car a separate unit or is it part of the ECU? is there any wiring i should check? is there a way to test the remote to see if there is signal going out?
The car is a 1999 SC400

HALP!
Old 07-09-21, 10:19 PM
Tallyhoe
Advanced

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I had similar issues on my 02 Celica. There were certain dead areas where it wouldn't catch with straight line of sight, other times I could activate it from inside the house. I took it back cuz I was a noob and they said it was the receiving antenna was set at a low level, or something along the lines it's been a decade. Maybe repositioning the receiver? Full disclosure there were a few times I was pressed against the window trying to unlock it and it wouldn't.. I had to open the car with the key, exhausting I know.. but I had the shop reposition the receiver and it was better. Hope this helps.
Old 07-21-21, 07:40 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

Well i narrowed down how its happening. Been paying close attention and the remote goes dead every time the car sits in the sun for a long time. If i wait till evening and try the remote, it works fine. At this point I'm betting its a blown capacitor in the unit in the car. Gonna have to wait for the weather to cool down first before i take it apart and find a replacement because there is no way I'm ripping out the back seats in the car in the 90 degree heat. I've also been meaning to redo the caps on my ECU as well. I saw a few threads floating around but is there an exact list of what caps i would need for the ECU specifically for a 99SC400? I can't afford for the car to be out of commission for weeks so I would rather have the replacement parts ready before i start tearing into it.

Never considered repositioning the antenna but considering it goes completely dead when under the sun for a while, I doubt that's the issue. I'll keep it mind for the future though