SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need to find a connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-18, 01:06 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation Need to find a connector

I dropped my w58 trans and I forgot to unplug the speed sensor connector and all the wires ripped out at the connector. I went to the dealership and they said the connector was $25 and EACH wire was $7. They're explanation was that the wire s had pins on them. I grinned and beared it and said I'll get them even though it would take a week. Got a call, they said they ordered the wrong connector, said they found the correct one but each wire (these wires are 3" a piece) was NOW $21.00 A PIECE! I told them I jump in front of the car before I paid $65 for 9 inches of wire! They, again, explained that the wires had PINS on the end!!
Does anybody have the part number so I can get it online? I've seen a couple that may be the correct one but none of them say,"W58 speed sensor connector."
Old 01-25-18, 01:20 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 168 Likes on 124 Posts

you can ask the dealer that you were speaking with for a part number and theyll give it to you. I do that constantly with my local dealer. They provide me with a part number and i buy the part online at the fraction of the cost. If they wont give it to you, call a different dealer, doesnt matter what city they are in because you wont be buying from them anyway. This will probably be the fastest way for you to get the part number unless you get lucky and someone on here had the same issue and has the part number for it.
Old 01-25-18, 02:23 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That must be gold plated wire connectors, nothing new there unfortunately :/
You're getting ripped off sir, here in Canada the housing's only $11.70 and the cables are $13.50/ea (CAD)

Housing# 90980-11143 (I believe)
cable# 82998-12240 (that correlates to that housing)

(I'm going off a 98 Supra W58)

Good Luck~
Old 01-25-18, 03:12 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Even if the the pins were SOLID gold, it would still be ridiculously priced. I just thought it was hilarious that they thought there was ANY way to justify that price!! I realize walking into a dealership parts dept. your going to be raped on the price but $21 for 3 inches of small gage wire is getting gang raped!!
Old 01-27-18, 03:31 PM
CoOl21
Driver

We don't make the prices... Toyota USA/Canada does... and then the dealerships gotta mark up the prices to cover overhead... so....

Old 01-27-18, 03:55 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 316 Posts

For Toyota Parts ... McGeorge Toyota Online Parts was always the cheapest I have ever seen ...

Like the connector housing is $6 and those pins are $5 each
Old 01-28-18, 01:25 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

Cool21, I worked for a dealership, I know about the need to mark up but come on! The part depts might as well nail a sign to their doors stating- Don't buy from us, buy online with the prices they are charging!! They have have to know they aren't being competitive.
Gerrb, were you using the part numbers in this thread to look up the price. I'm just wanting to know if these are correct part numbers, they don't have pics of the connector.
Thanx for the reply's
Old 01-28-18, 02:00 PM
CoOl21
Driver

Originally Posted by Ozzzzy
Cool21, I worked for a dealership, I know about the need to mark up but come on! The part depts might as well nail a sign to their doors stating- Don't buy from us, buy online with the prices they are charging!! They have have to know they aren't being competitive.
Gerrb, were you using the part numbers in this thread to look up the price. I'm just wanting to know if these are correct part numbers, they don't have pics of the connector.
Thanx for the reply's
Ozzzzy,

One does not go to the the dealership because they aren't competitive, they go to the dealership for parts because they don't trust the information that they got online.
I'm all for posting part #s here even if it means taking business away from myself. So think of it this way, the markup you are paying is for the person's knowledge and experience.
I would also encourage other to post OEM part numbers if they have any, because it will only get harder to find as time goes on.

Like I've said, I'm working backwards from a '98 Supra with a W58 transmission and the speed sensor that's on it and a few other sources to determine the correct housing and cables that correlates to that housing.
(working at a toyota dealership does not give me access to the lexus catalogs, which is sad)

If you want a picture of the housing I'm referring to, I'll be more than happy to take a picture of it out of our wire repair manual where I found the part# on Tuesday.

Last edited by CoOl21; 01-28-18 at 03:29 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-28-18, 02:21 PM
Ozzzzy
Intermediate

No need on the pics but thanx. You were working from a book so I'll order it from the numbers you gave.
Thank You
Old 01-28-18, 02:41 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Lookie here...
Water proof, oem, all configurations. Cars and bikes with pictures.
https://www.corsa-technic.com